PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects

Old 11-27-2021, 08:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 48.92 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to Dane
IL-28 Front-Line Bomber

The Il-28 aircraft – according to NATO classification – “Beagle” – the first Soviet front-line bomber with turbojet engines, mass-produced.

The first flight of a machine with English engines Nene (“Nin”) from Rolls-Royce took place on July 8, 1948.

On August 8, 1949, the aircraft with new VK-1 engines passed tests, and soon its serial production began. The bomber could carry an atomic bomb. In total, about 6,000 planes were produced.

The aircraft were equipped with VK-1 (RD-45) engines – the first Soviet turbojet engines produced in series. The engine was developed on the basis of the British Nene Rolls-Royce, the drawings of which were sold to the USSR with the condition not to use it for military purposes. But….

By the end of the 50s, the Il-28 began to be removed from service. Airplanes were used to make radio-controlled flying targets or shot at firing ranges. Most of the cars were simply crushed by tanks or bulldozers right in the parking lot, moreover, along with the equipment.

Specification

Crew, people . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .3
Wingspan, m . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .21.45
Length, m . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .17.65
Height, m ​​ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 6.7
Wing area, sq.m. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 60.8
Empty aircraft weight, kg . . . . . 12890
Normal takeoff weight, kg . . . . 18400
Maximum takeoff weight, kg . . 23200
Maximum speed, km/h . . . . . . . .906
Cruising speed, km/h . . . . . . . . .700
Range of action, km. . . . . . . . . 2400
Ceiling, m . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 12500

Model

This model was built by me in 1976. At the time, Maly Modelarz magazine was the only subscription publication for paper models. It was a bright spot in everyday life. Therefore, any model, and even more so an aircraft, was a long-awaited event, even despite the frankly low quality of some of them. The magazine was addressed to teenagers of the Soviet Bloc.
This is how this simple model was born.

Stories about this model and other my models you can see at my site IL-28 front-line bomber – PSG-Modeler
Attached Thumbnails
PSG-Modeler-il28web02.jpg   PSG-Modeler-il28web01.jpg   PSG-Modeler-il28web04.jpg   PSG-Modeler-il28web06.jpg   PSG-Modeler-il28-00.jpg  

PSG-Modeler-il28web07.jpg  
Old 11-27-2021, 10:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane View Post
Excuse me, gents.
I am recovering from an illness. I haven't gone to work yet, but I can sit at the computer...
Hope you are better already sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane View Post
I began a story about how I developed a model of the Airspeed AS-6 Envoy.
You seem to build an Envoy with registration OK-BAL. That airplane has a connection to my country. British donated the plane to Czech Air Force on the dawn of the WW2. Germans of course took hold of it pretty soon and then it was once again donated only this time to Finland.

It served as radio operations training plane and flew nearly 900 hours until it was destroyed in chrash landing. It's registration was EV-1. Nice to follow your build.

Best regards Tappi
Attached Thumbnails
PSG-Modeler-kuljetuskone-airspeed-envoy-ev-1.jpg   PSG-Modeler-10145936t.jpg  
Old 11-28-2021, 07:58 AM

Tapcho, thanks for the wishes of recovery.
Thanks for the fun fact about the plane.
I took a quick look at the Internet, but I could only find one link that mentions the Finnish Envoy (Airspeed AS.6E Envoy : Other). If you have any additional information about this plane, about the people who were associated with it, I would be very grateful if you could give me links to this info.
If I manage to make a story about the fate of this aircraft, I mean the Czech OK-BAL, it will be a good addition to the magazine with its model.
Thanks.
P. S. Do you know what the captions on Envoy's photo mean?
Old 11-28-2021, 12:25 PM

Hi Dane,
Here's some info I was able to gather:

The planes manufacturing number was 47. Czechoslovakia's state carrier CSA purchased four Airspeed AS.6E airplanes which were equipped with Chezch Walter Castor engines. After occupation Germans confiscated those planes and one of them (call sign OK-BAL) was given to Finnnish Airforce (FAF) 22.1.1942 as a compensation of another plane Luftwaffe accidentally shot down 8.11.1941 (DeHavilland D.H.89A Dragon Rapide call sign OH-BLB which was an ambulance plane). Airspeed arrived to Finland under German markings and it's call sign was CM+SA.

FAF call sign for the plane was EV-1, it was taken to maintenance and then forwarded to it's unit LeLv 48 (Flight Squadron 48). 1.6.193 it was used by FAF Radio operations unit as a training plane and it was destroyed in Parola airvield 31.7.1943. During landing plane's pilot mistakenly thought that left engine shut down though it's revs were just momentarily down due throttling. Few wrong moves and down it went. Crew survived luckily.
EV-1 flew in Finland 143 hours of the 898 hours total flight time the plane saw.

Not many service pictures of EV-1 but the pic.1 shows her infront of Hangar 2 (in Finnish "II halli". The plane was all aluminium colour and pic.2 shows it's markings in FAF. Rest of the pictures are from the crash site.

Hope this helps,

BR Tappi
Attached Thumbnails
PSG-Modeler-kuljetuskone-airspeed-envoy-ev-1.jpg   PSG-Modeler-10145936t.jpg   PSG-Modeler-001-1.jpg.ead868a96589d75f55dbab5710053b68.jpg   PSG-Modeler-ev-1-pakkolasku.jpg   PSG-Modeler-ev-1-siivenkaerki.jpg  

Old 11-28-2021, 01:40 PM

Very interesting story. Thank you very much, Tappi.
Old 11-28-2021, 02:18 PM

You're welcome Dane, it was pleasure to help.

T
Old 11-30-2021, 04:22 AM

Airplane AIR-1

The airplane AIR-1 had been designed by A. S. Yakovlev, a young assistant mechanic of the training and flight unit of the Zhukovsky Air Force Academy (VVA), who later became a famous Soviet aircraft designer. This was his first aircraft – a two-seater biplane of a very simple design, mostly made of wood. It received its name after the Soviet functionary who served as Minister of Internal Affairs and Prime Minister. Yakovlev liked to be a friend to soviet officials. Many officials had been shot in 30-th, but Yakovlev remained alive.
See details at my site (Airplane AIR-1 – PSG-Modeler).
Attached Thumbnails
PSG-Modeler-air1-00.jpg   PSG-Modeler-air1-01.jpg   PSG-Modeler-air1-04.jpg   PSG-Modeler-air1-011.jpg  
Old 12-01-2021, 07:56 AM

How To Build A Model In Blender. An Example Of An Airplane. Part 3

I continue my story about how I built a 3D model of an airplane in Blender. Today I will tell you how I made the fuselage of an airplane's model. See my website for details: How to build a model in Blender. An example of an airplane. Part 3 – PSG-Modeler
Attached Thumbnails
PSG-Modeler-howtobuildaplane-001.jpg   PSG-Modeler-howtobuildaplane-01.jpg   PSG-Modeler-howtobuildaplane-19.jpg   PSG-Modeler-howtobuildaplane-16.jpg   PSG-Modeler-howtobuildaplane-23.jpg  

Old 12-02-2021, 09:46 AM

How To Get A Good Shot Of A Model. Part 2. Panorama

There is no need to prove that a good model needs beautiful and high-quality photographs in order to present the model to colleagues in all its qualities.

However, as I already said, it is not always possible to take a simple photo of a model using a phone or even a camera. As a rule, the ends of the model are blurry and not sharp in the pictures.

What can you do about it?

Smart people have long ago solved this problem, and we can only learn from their experience and repeat it.

Read more How to get a good shot of a model. Part 2. Panorama – PSG-Modeler
Attached Thumbnails
PSG-Modeler-2020-05-18-best-photos-model-02.jpg   PSG-Modeler-2020-05-18-best-photos-model-03.jpg   PSG-Modeler-2020-05-18-best-photos-model-04.jpg   PSG-Modeler-2020-05-18-best-photos-model-v2-04.jpg   PSG-Modeler-2020-05-18-best-photos-model-01.jpg  

Old 12-04-2021, 11:34 AM

Kids Workshop

I recently remembered how my paper modeling started. At first, I thought it all started with a French barge in the summer of 2013. I mean my last coming on paper modeling, when I already had a son.
But, recently, the very first issue of my magazine caught my eye and I remembered that in fact it all began in 2010. That year, one day, my son and I sat and thought about what our next game would be. I saw his drawings and I told him: let’s build a model based on his drawing. We chose an armored car, which my son had drawn shortly before. Unfortunately, I can’t find the drawing itself. But the model made according to his drawing has survived. Today I will tell you about it.
At that time, I had been working in a book publishing house for several years and making books. I already knew how to work in the Adobe package, and before that, when I worked as an engineer, I mastered Acad. Therefore, it was not difficult for me to make a magazine. The main thing was to figure out what to model. And suddenly such a good idea: to make a model according to my son’s drawing.
Read more at Kids Workshop – PSG-Modeler
Attached Thumbnails
PSG-Modeler-bronevik02.jpg   PSG-Modeler-bronevik03.jpg   PSG-Modeler-bronevik04.jpg   PSG-Modeler-bronevikcover.jpg   PSG-Modeler-bronevik06.jpg