PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects

Old 10-26-2021, 04:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 48.92 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to Dane
PSG-Modeler

Hello everyone.
As a result of long deliberation and under the pressure of life circumstances, the scales tipped in favor of continuing the publication of my magazine PSG-Modeler.
It is not possible here to describe the events that led to this decision. There just isn't enough room. Therefore, I declare briefly: I continue to create my own magazine of paper models PSG-Modeler.
I will publish new paper models that I am developing and building at the moment. This is the Airspeed AS-6J. In parallel, I will try to pay attention to the development of the British destroyer HMS Defender.
I'll start with an old model that I developed almost 10 years ago. This is a French longboat of the 18th century. I have already published the final report on this model. However, now I want to post a story in detail about how I built it.
I will briefly describe my work here. The details will be published on my website, which I have significantly updated.
I hope that my stories will be interesting to someone.
Attached Thumbnails
PSG-Modeler-psginstrcover.jpg   PSG-Modeler-csa-6j-envoy-pic-02.jpg   PSG-Modeler-2021-10-18-hms-defender-03.jpg   PSG-Modeler-faircopyweb-218.jpg  
Old 10-29-2021, 11:48 AM

Translation of the PSG-Modeler magazine

For several days now I have been working on the translation of the PSG-Modeler magazine No. 3 March 2014 French longboat on a scale of 1:72.
The case turned out to be a little more complicated than I thought. It is necessary to add illustrations so that the assembly process is most clear. I hope to be finished by the end of next week.
Attached Thumbnails
PSG-Modeler-cover.jpg   PSG-Modeler-140329w_longboat72-magazine-01-p4.jpg  
Old 10-29-2021, 03:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
'Complication' seems to be the state of things these days. Best of luck with this
Old 10-30-2021, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermin_King View Post
'Complication' seems to be the state of things these days. Best of luck with this
Pardon me for my bad English.
If you mean today's situation, I think that something very bad is brewing. I even know what.
But we will continue to build paper models even under fire from enemies.
However, let's return to a peaceful life.

News From MaxArt
Many people follow the work of a paper engineer from Ryazan, Maxim Artyushin aka MaxArt. He is currently developing a model of the Yak-130 aircraft. On Thursday this week, he finished developing a 3D model airplane at Blender.
Now he has to texture the model. Maxim chose shades from light blue to deep blue for the plane. He hopes to complete a test model by the new year.
See my site for details.
Attached Thumbnails
PSG-Modeler-2021-10-29-maxart-news-01.jpg  
Old 11-02-2021, 07:43 AM

Universities Cup 2014

St. Petersburg, Russia, every year hosted a convention similar to the Paper Modelers Convention before the pandemic. Once I visited this meeting of modelers and saw everything with my own eyes.
The main difference from the American convention is that in the gathering of Russian modellers a competition is held between them. There is a referee committee. After the competition is held prizes are given to winners. All types of models, including paper ones, take part in the competition. They are combined into class C7. This is a class of paper models.
A few words about the name. Why the convention of modelers and their competition is so called, I still do not understand. Most likely, this name comes from the fact that annual meetings are held at St. Petersburg University. In one of its halls. There are no students from different universities among the participants in these meetings.
See more at my site.
Attached Thumbnails
PSG-Modeler-2014-002.jpg   PSG-Modeler-2014-009.jpg   PSG-Modeler-2014-012.jpg   PSG-Modeler-2014-016.jpg   PSG-Modeler-2014-007.jpg  

Old 11-03-2021, 09:40 AM

French Longboat Of The 18th Century

Review of the history of construction 1

This story began about ten years ago and when I went to play football with my children and injured my leg. It happened at the very beginning of the summer. I could only walk with crutches. But I could sit at the table. Therefore, there was no question of what to do. There was a question – what to design and build.
Now I don’t remember how I got into the competition of modelers on one site with a bad reputation. But then I did not know about it and set to work.
The choice of a prototype for modeling from paper is very important and directly affects the final result. For paper modeling, it is necessary to choose models with a minimum proportion of double curvature surfaces, which are poorly obtained from paper. Even in spite of the skill of the modeler and the original unfold schemes.
For me, the question of choosing a prototype for the model was not difficult. I had noticed a model of an 18th century French longboat for a long time from the monograph of the French historian of shipbuilding Jean Pierre Paul Boudriot. This is a very beautiful boat on the one hand and is quite feasible for a modeler, since the volume of work is not very large. At least much less than when building a model sailing ship.
Attached Thumbnails
PSG-Modeler-afrench-longboat-xviii-01a.jpg   PSG-Modeler-afrench-longboat-xviii-021a.jpg   PSG-Modeler-lgboatdocs10.jpg   PSG-Modeler-lgboatdocs09.jpg   PSG-Modeler-lgboatdocs08.jpg  

Old 11-03-2021, 09:44 AM

French longboat of the 18th century

Review of the history of construction

A small digression. Historical background. The second half of the 18th century is rightfully considered the heyday of sailing shipbuilding in the sense that by this time ships had already acquired high seaworthiness, but had not yet become a victim of harsh naval pragmatism.
Their silhouettes fully reflect the harmony of graceful ship lines, and the overly luxurious decoration of the past has acquired a restrained and moderate character, without wasting its attractiveness. And the sailing equipment has become rational and effective, while ease of perception.
Suffice it to say that contemporaries of this era were William Gershel (1738), Alessandro Volta (1745), Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756), Horatio Nelson (1758), Johann Christoph Friedrich von Schiller (1759), Ludwig van Beethoven (1770)… such was the era.
Attached Thumbnails
PSG-Modeler-faircopyweb-236.jpg   PSG-Modeler-afrench-longboat-xviii-022b.jpg   PSG-Modeler-afrench-longboat-xviii-022c.jpg   PSG-Modeler-afrench-longboat-xviii-022a.jpg  

Last edited by Dane; 11-03-2021 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Needed adds
Old 11-03-2021, 09:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I hope that your magazine prospers.

You have presented us some interesting insights into the Saint-Petersburg modeling convention and you have posted a lot of beautiful images of paper models and prototypes.

Thank you,

Don
Old 11-03-2021, 10:42 AM

Thank you very much, Don.
I hope I don't breaking any rules of your forum by my posts.
If I do something wrong, please correct me.
Old 11-04-2021, 06:26 PM

French Longboat Of The 18th Century 03

As I already said, I managed to find a few more pictures with illustrations of the boat and its equipment.
I also managed to find pictures showing the equipment of the longboat of that time: a bucket, a lantern, a compass binnacle, oarlocks and an anchor-cat.
That’s all the information that I had at the time of the start of the modeling.
I must say that this was not my first model, which I developed myself from the very beginning. I already had experience in model development. I will talk about this another time.
My toolbox included FreeShip!, Acad 2000, InDesign and Photoshop.
I have been familiar with the Acad 2000 program for a long time. Back in the late 80s, when I was a young engineer. Then the first computers were used in production. I started with Acad 10.
Then there was Acad 12 and 14 and then Acad 2000. Later versions of that time did not contain significant and fundamental improvements. I have been working with Acad 2000 ever since. This is simple and sufficient for my humble purposes. For paper modeling, it is fine if you do not need to create complex curved shapes.
Continuation on my site.
Attached Thumbnails
PSG-Modeler-french-longboat-xviii-08.jpg   PSG-Modeler-lgboatdocs13.jpg   PSG-Modeler-lgboatdocs17.jpg   PSG-Modeler-lys2.jpg   PSG-Modeler-necmonitor01.jpg