PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Gallery Announcements

Old 08-13-2011, 04:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Boot Dagger

Was waiting on a friend this weekend so I designed and constructed a boot dagger using a laminate object modeling technique. However, I also "skinned" the exterior to give it a smooth overall finish. It's modeled after the one shown here. The comparable difference is no holes for the pins and no thickness to the spine along the center of the blade. Nevertheless, it is to the blade, handle, and thickness dimensions specified in the drawing. Actually, I went a little overboard on the thickness. In one of the photos you see my first attempt at it in an improv sheath. That one was slightly under, the second attempt was slightly over but with a better sheath. If I did it a third time that would be the correct number of laminations as it is precisely between those two. The first had 11 laminates. The second had 15 laminates. 13 was the magic number. For the second sheath I used a japanese screw punch to give it the illusion of grommet/eyelet holes.
Attached Thumbnails
Boot Dagger-1.jpg   Boot Dagger-2.jpg   Boot Dagger-3.jpg   Boot Dagger-4.jpg   Boot Dagger-5.jpg  

Boot Dagger-6.jpg   Boot Dagger-7.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 08-13-2011, 04:43 PM

Looks good. I think that I would have kept going on the handle. By the time you laminate all of those layers, you've effectively made a micarta knife.
Old 08-13-2011, 05:12 PM

Thank you. I've actually never been that fond of a handle material. I prefer paracord wraps as opposed to bone/micarta/wood and the like. I've always wanted to make knives, but lack the equipment and heat treating know how.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimpirate View Post
Thank you. I've actually never been that fond of a handle material. I prefer paracord wraps as opposed to bone/micarta/wood and the like. I've always wanted to make knives, but lack the equipment and heat treating know how.
Make a blank, not too sharp, on the edges, get some clay, get the whole thing red hot, let it air cool. Then, put clay right all over the thing, get it red hot, about 3/8 th's of an inch worth of the blade should be showing, then after it's glowing red hot on the blade (rest is still covered with clay) quench it in 30 weight Oil, doesn't have to be new, old with a lot of carbon might actually be better the blade. The sharpen your hardened edge. The center part will be softer and you will have a rigid edge, but softer body, which is one way to make a knife. Not much is needed tool wise. You try it a couple of time, you'll make a knife you like, you can shape the blank how you want, which is what makes it yours.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:54 PM

That blade looks a lot like the boot knife I used to carry.
Google Adsense
Old 08-13-2011, 08:56 PM
Banned

I always wanted to carry a boot dagger, but my back is so bad I can barely reach my feet, and I don't wear boots! Nice model though. I wonder if you'd get busted for carrying. Brandishing a paper weapon!
Old 08-13-2011, 09:07 PM

Well if you made it look real and threatened someone with it, i am sure you could get in a deep pile of dodo.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHSurf View Post
Well if you made it look real and threatened someone with it, i am sure you could get in a deep pile of dodo.
Doodoo. Though those TSA boneheads often behave like extinct birdbrains from the past. LOL!
Old 08-14-2011, 11:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 40.89 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHSurf View Post
You could at least give them a really nasty paper cut...