PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Gallery Announcements

Old 12-18-2012, 10:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 604.42 MB
Micromodels Beyer Garratt loco

Dear All

The Beyer Garratt loco is now complete, after some last minute disasters and some rather tense work on the valve gear for the two motive power units.

The kit (Set C1) needs quite a bit of modification to more closely resemble the prototype which is a class GEA loco; photos on the internet are available and the more obvious alterations necessary are the boiler chassis widened to support the cab and the firebox, the ashpan modelled below the firebox, the tender width reduced so that the crew can see out when running in reverse and coal added in a recess formed on top, and the front tank corners rounded instead of square.

I have found styrene rod, pre-painted with enamel before cutting to length, to be very effective for details at this scale, such as whistles, the steam pipes below the footboards either side of the boiler chassis and, when cut in thin slices, for the bosses on the ends of the valve gear rods; certainly much easier than the recommended "whittled match" and adheres well enough using white glue then over painting.

Chris190
Attached Thumbnails
Micromodels Beyer Garratt loco-bg4.jpg   Micromodels Beyer Garratt loco-img_0163.jpg   Micromodels Beyer Garratt loco-img_0166.jpg   Micromodels Beyer Garratt loco-img_0169.jpg   Micromodels Beyer Garratt loco-img_0184.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 12-18-2012, 11:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Wow, very nicely done!!

It shows how there is probably no limit to the amount of detail you can add to these little gems...thanks so much for sharing photos of your build with us, I thoroughly enjoyed seeing your work on this one.

Cheers!
Jim
Old 12-18-2012, 12:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 72.31 MB
That is awesome!

Matt Sparks
MicromodelsUSA
Old 12-18-2012, 12:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 15.61 MB
Great looking model!!

Attached is a PIX of a Beyer Garratt that was in Plymouth, England in the mid-80's. I believe she was from South Africa.

The picture was stitched from 2 photographs.

russ...
Attached Thumbnails
Micromodels Beyer Garratt loco-garratt-steam-engine-stitched-resized-.jpg  
Old 12-18-2012, 12:39 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Excellent job! well done!
Google Adsense
Old 12-18-2012, 01:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Such detail at such small scale. Excellently done.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:00 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Thumbs up

Top dollar.... Great job and great detail for this scale model ! Give yourself a huge pat on the back... you deserve it Merry Christmas
Old 12-19-2012, 04:12 AM

Your kind comments are much appreciated, guys - it's really good to hear from fellow enthusiasts after grafting away in isolation in the Microputian world! Nice to hear from Matt especially as the heir to Geoffrey Heighway, any chance of a Diploma from the Guild of Micromodel Makers??? Perhaps I'm subconsciously trying to make up for having been born too late to have had the chance to receive one of these treasured accolades!
Old 12-19-2012, 03:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.03 MB
That is so nice that I'm close to weeping. Micromodels were my introduction to paper models as a schoolboy way back in the mists of time. I made lots of them and you could buy them in any decent model shop for a few shillings.

Can I ask if this model was made from an original kit? Set C1 is pretty rare nowadays.

Philip
Old 12-20-2012, 03:06 AM

Hi Philip, yes, it's an original kit published in 1947 (the year I was born) and purchased in about 1959 I would think, from my local model shop; I made the K Class New Zealand loco in 1963 (it's the only model on which I had the foresight to put a date on the underside of the base!) and I must have then started the Garratt and given up, as it's been with me since then in an unfinished state from until now awaiting my retirement!
I always make a few photocopies of the kit before starting work now - on this one it was invaluable as I made the tender from the original parts and then realised it needed reducing in width and so the copies were used for the rebuild.

Chris
Google Adsense