PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Gallery Announcements

Old 04-25-2015, 11:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 313.46 MB
Fifth Build - MESSENGER Spacecraft

Here's Yogi's MESSENGER, just in time for it to crash into oblivion on Mercury's surface. LOL.

Listed as a difficult model on Discover.Nasa.gov I think I'd list it as just intermediate. Maybe it got that rating because of all the small instrument assemblies, but I think its totally doable for early enthusiasts like me.

This is a model that I really want to revisit because it could use some additional detail. For instance, the HE tanks are simple closed cylinders. John got the point across, but as soon as I started to assemble the model I realized that it is totally reasonable to create rounded caps for the tanks. I'd have liked to have conics for the star trackers as well instead of the more simple cylinders provided. And the colors of the sun shade and some of the parts could be better adjusted having recent photos at hand.

Other changes I made were to print the solar array faces on glossy photo paper and applied it to the folded over matt assembly and that's a nice touch. I also adjusted the size of the posts for the solar arrays and magnetometer boom, using dowel that I spun to size and smoothed in my drill press and some sand paper, to more closely match the scale of the real craft. Next I added some surface details on the model including tabs for the launch lugs and on the bus, I choked on creating RCS thrusters though, too small for the cardstock that I had on hand. I also cut out the sun sensors and attached them angled away from the sun as is on the real craft and added a mock-up of the low gain antennas.

I did misalign the spacecraft bus when attaching it to the sun shield resulting in a 5 degree rotation that just got more and more noticeable when I added the booms. So, if you're going to try this model, watch yourself there.

After I get some more skill in designing my own parts, I'll create a supplement for John's fine work. I loved the project and really appreciate it being available and keeping my interest and abilities growing! Thanks APL and Yogi. Hope everyone enjoys the pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Fifth Build - MESSENGER Spacecraft-sm_1832.jpg   Fifth Build - MESSENGER Spacecraft-sm_1833.jpg   Fifth Build - MESSENGER Spacecraft-sm_1834.jpg   Fifth Build - MESSENGER Spacecraft-sm_1835.jpg   Fifth Build - MESSENGER Spacecraft-sm_1836.jpg  

Fifth Build - MESSENGER Spacecraft-sm_1837.jpg   Fifth Build - MESSENGER Spacecraft-sm_1838.jpg   Fifth Build - MESSENGER Spacecraft-sm_1839.jpg   Fifth Build - MESSENGER Spacecraft-sm_1840.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 04-26-2015, 12:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Looks pretty good to me.