PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Gallery Announcements

Old 06-10-2015, 09:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 313.46 MB
Sixth Build - TRACE Satellite

Here is my TRACE Satellite from Aries Paper Models.

Continuing my attempt to keep models in 1/25th scale (for continuity of my collection) I rescaled Erik's version and yes, its quite a bit smaller than my other kits, but a great addition and a fun, easy build after tackling the Spitzer space telescope Messenger spacecraft and over the winter.

I mixed things up a bit and printed this model in both matt cardstock and glossy photo paper. The wrinkled gold Erik selected is beautiful and, because of my chosen scale, overlaying it with foil wasn't going to give me any better a result. Unfortunately, the paper stock I chose for the glossy did not roll - at all. When I tried to glue up the two cylindrical instrument bodies, the paper separated and even trying to apply it over a plain paper tube didn't work. I'll have to try other "thinner" gloss stock on future curved parts.

As you might be able to see in the first picture of the aft section of the satellite bus, the original model is not very detailed. So after failing to find anything on the web (the spacecraft was launched in 1998 after all) I asked the forum for some research help. Yogi stepped up to the rescue with a movie that had a perfect view of the section I needed. Fabricating those parts - approximately is fine at my skill level - was pretty straight forward so I was happy.

If I have one issue its that I had to take a 4 week break from the model when I couldn't figure out how to assemble the bus and the main telescope. Not Erik's fault, I just didn't understand that the telescope tube was to be inserted INTO the bus and glued to the inside surface of the base part. If finally figured it out as I was looking at my reference pictures and realized that the white section of his part E (the telescope) wasn't present on the finished craft and then I understood the directions completely.

Like I said, a nice small model with some visual interest. Thanks to Aries for creating and making this model available for us! Hope everyone enjoys the pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Sixth Build - TRACE Satellite-lbowjhsh.jpg   Sixth Build - TRACE Satellite-elpe5rmh.jpg   Sixth Build - TRACE Satellite-psnodffh.jpg   Sixth Build - TRACE Satellite-sjs12jmh.jpg   Sixth Build - TRACE Satellite-yktfibdh.jpg  

Google Adsense