PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Gallery Announcements

Old 02-10-2021, 12:43 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
I have flown on the Convair quite a bit.

Below is a picture on the Convair in question. Sadly this was written off with the loss of life in 2018.

It was actually on a local test flight - it had been donated to the Durch Museum, Aviodrome, and repainted in the colours of Martin's Air Charter (A Dutch company later to become Martinair).

The aircraft was build in the early 1950s and served in the USAF as a C-131D before going to Rovos Air in the late '80s. It then flew with them until it was retired in 2009 and stored. In May it was repainted and donated to Aviodrome by Rovos.

It was one of the most luxurious aircraft I have been in.

Although it retained the standard seat arrangement it was used as an out and out luxury aircraft for paying passengers and no expense had been spared in fitting it out. The cost and amount of fuel it gobbled eventually made it uneconomical to run.

The circumstances of its loss were sad - it need not have come down when it did.

I have attached the SA Civil Aviation Authority Investigation Report which makes interesting reading. The ultimate causes were given as unqualified pilots and a mistake made during engine maintenance.
Attached Thumbnails
Convair CV 240 KLM , Murph`s Models, 1:50-convair_215_zs-brv_rovos_air_lanseria_2008_omer_mees-03.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 9722.pdf (3.59 MB, 14 views)