PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Gallery Announcements

Old 05-08-2010, 04:07 PM
POTW Editor

Total Downloaded: 76.82 MB
I wouldn't mind if you did a lot of blabla-ing a lot about this build :D
Old 05-08-2010, 04:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 697.0 KB
Good night! That's one great model. I wouldn't mind more verbs either.

Garland
Old 05-08-2010, 06:38 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Very professional a few build pictures would be appreciated if you have any

Old 05-10-2010, 01:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 15.78 MB
Hello everyone!
You must believe me, that this model is not perfect – this is too strong word for it. Unfortunately it has some drawbacks which the next time I’ll try to avoid. Learning never ends…
Ok, first things first. It took me about seven months to complete it. I was building it only in the late evenings, when all may family was already sleeping. I guess it is normal when You are a Dad and have some responsibilities. So, lets say two hours during most of the evenings – and You have a model ready. I must say, that this hobby is one of the best ways for giving my mind some relaxation.
The riveting – well, this is one of the most tiring things to do. To make it, I use a tool (on the picture) built from cut medical needle (0,45 x 12mm), piece of antenna and something which was previously used for cutting cork. So, before cutting all the parts of the model from the sheet I press (not too much) each of the rivet on model’s surface. Another thing that I do with the surface are the lines and different panels. To mark them I use a pin in Excel handle. The key thing in making these things is to paint all the sheets before with transparent varnish. I use water varnish (used mostly for wood), painting the sheets from both sides 4 to 5 times. This protects the paper from destroying during modeling parts and lets You to make really small marks on the surface, which will be still visible after final airbrushing with clear mat paint. One more thing, rivets and lines have to be done on hard surface under the sheet, otherwise You risk destroying paper. And that’s it. To do riveting I was trying to use some different tools which You can buy – similar to toothed wheels form watches, but these things makes small wholes which is not right. Cut needle is the best, because in this way You get a circle, which is more similar to real grinded rivet (in my opinion of course). I think, that this whole work is worth doing, because You gets interesting surface of a paper model, especially when You look at it from a specific angles.
I’m afraid I will not be able to provide more pictures from construction, I wasn’t doing pictures that time except cockpit. I usually don’t do it, because I don’t have enough time for it.
I hope I explained these few things You were asking. If something is unclear or anything else You would like to know - just ask, but please be patient, because I have no permanent access to Internet.

Old 05-16-2010, 03:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Excellent model and thanks for the information on how you create rivet detail.
Google Adsense
Old 05-17-2010, 01:23 AM
POTW Editor

Total Downloaded: 76.82 MB
Thanks for the blabla-ing:D:D
Ingenious method, thanks for sharing, I always like that kind of inventions :D
Old 05-17-2010, 05:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 15.78 MB
The idea of using cut needle is not mine. I took it from other modeler from Polish forum where I used to present my works. My idea was to put this needle into something to make the whole process of riveting less painful for fingers :(. You don’t have to press the needle hard (in this case You may get a hole) but when it comes to make thousands of rivets, than You may get tired very quickly.
I assumed that if I put it into something like a pen and holding it like a pen – than I have to make more effort during riveting (not only press it but also grab firmly the ”pen” to prevent sliding form fingers during making rivets). So, better solutions was to find a thing which I could press from above – and in this case I can grab this tool lightly and just press it when needed using these silver “wings” of this tool.
The ideal riveting tool would be about 20 needles fixed round on a small wheel , but it is difficult to make such thing with accurate precision right now for me. Also You have to remember, that some of the needles can brake, so You should also consider making replacements of them .