PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Sci-Fi Game Development > Game backstory and descriptions

Old 01-13-2010, 12:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
88-sector

The 88-sector is the the slang name that people give to the Empire of 88 Planets. Being composed of humans, the 88-sector must be the most alien empire to the Earth Commonwealth. Millenia ago, the Shankor, a hive intelligent race, attacked the human enclave on Shagoth region. The enclave had 88 colonies very far away from the rest of humankind. The colonies resisted and the Shankor seeded a virus that made all males infertile. In 50 years, the colonies would be ripe for conquest and the old Shankor had time.

The colonies cried for help. Help wasn't sent.

40 years later a vast armada attacked and nuked all the Shankor planets. Few Shankor hives remain these days. The women of the colonies created a way to replicate their genoma. In 88-sector there are no men. Although a rumour states otherwise. Women warriors.

As help didn't arrive to help them, they shun humankind. The Empire of 88 Planets was born. Now it has 100 times that number...

In the illustration: A 88sect warrior and a 88sect destroyer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 88sector.jpg (40.4 KB, 11 views)
Google Adsense
Old 01-13-2010, 02:30 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
interesting! thanks :D
Old 01-13-2010, 04:08 PM

That Excellent Little Cruiser

The Sknorr weapons officer gazed his captain. "Sir. The cruiser is maintaining its course. Should I hail him again?" "No. Let him pass. He has no quarrel with us." "Sir! That is against the protocol. If he doesn't answer, we should fire against it." The Captain raised his voice a little. "Oh, should we now?! And be probably crippled in the fight that surely would follow?" The weapons officer almost grasped. "That little cruiser?! Cripple us?" The Captain smiled with is hair. "That's a Milady Class Light Cruiser from the 88sector you stupid chicken." The Weapons Officer raised his hair questioning. The Captain endulged him. "It has the speed of a frigate and the firepower of a heavy cruiser. And the human women that crew that ship are crazy and veterans. Our battleship would probably win, but not without heavy damage. Let it go. It has different targets." The weapon officer looked back to the cruiser. The captain hissed in respect. "That excellent little cruiser."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 88sector cruiser.jpg (38.5 KB, 9 views)
Old 01-13-2010, 04:22 PM
Design Admin

Very nice it shows a great tie in with another race to boot!
Old 01-13-2010, 04:28 PM

Thanks. The Sknorr are a avian species, with hair that shows their emotion.
Google Adsense
Old 01-13-2010, 04:36 PM
Design Admin

sounds like you have some good backstory ideas please feel free to create a thread for each race idea in the backstory area - I think you have a good handle on this but we may have to modify things a bit once we have the overall backstory in place (or modify the overall as we see what works better!)
Thanks
Chris
p.s. if you want these threads moved let me know, I can do that.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:42 PM

Yes please. Move the threads.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 51.85 MB
Send a message via AIM to ThunderChild Send a message via Skype™ to ThunderChild
I like how the ship designs represent the race. instantly recognizable. :D
Old 01-14-2010, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderChild View Post
I like how the ship designs represent the race. instantly recognizable. :D
Thanks, ThunderChild. I think that it is the differenciation that sells game factions. I play a lot of miniatures and boardgames and in some of it, I choose less capable factions just for the look of them. I think we all do that. We review ourselves in some lines, I guess.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:50 AM

88sect Race Template

Name: Empire of 88 Planets a.k.a. 88sect

Physical description: The Empire is solely composed by Homo Sapiens Sapiens. The only singular aspect is the ratios between males and females. The females are thought to compose 99.8% of the population.

Aggressiveness level: The Empire is known to maintain a low level of Aggressiveness in dealing with peaceful neighbors, and an extreme level of aggressiveness when dealing with threatening neighbors. The story of the Empire easily explains this duality.

Technology level: Being very secretive, keeps the tech level of the Empire of 88 Planets an unknown variable. Biotech is very high as it is high the military tech. The rest is widely unknown.

Race history/ Back-story: The 88-sector is the the slang name that people give to the Empire of 88 Planets. Being composed of humans, the 88-sector must be the most alien empire to the Earth Commonwealth. Two hundred years ago, the Shankor, a hive intelligent race, attacked the human enclave on Shagoth region. The enclave had 88 colonies very far away from the rest of humankind. The colonies resisted and the Shankor seeded a virus that made all males infertile. In 50 years, the colonies would be ripe for conquest and the old Shankor had time.
The colonies cried for help. Help wasn't sent.
40 years later a vast armada attacked and nuked all the Shankor planets. Few Shankor hives remain these days. The women of the colonies created a way to replicate their genome. In 88-sector there are no men. Although a rumor states otherwise. Women compose almost all of the population. Leaders, workers, warriors.
As aid didn't arrive to help them, they shun humankind. The Empire of 88 Planets was born. Now it has 10 times that number...

Ship names: Joan of Arc, Maya Yin Ling, Ursula Le Guin, Golda Meir, Indira Ghandi, Boudicca, Cartimandua, etc

Basic look of ships: See images above and below.

Possible leader names: Mariekke, Joannee, Madereen

Two unique units type/name/description:
Hipatia Class Assault Frigate: Heavier than a Destroyer, the Assault Frigate is one of the most seen ships form the 88sect arsenal. Loaded with anti-fighter weapons and Long Range Missiles, this ship is feared by many Admirals in its capacity of engaging the adversary fleet from afar and without fear of enemy fighters.
Dietrich Light Fighter: A very nimble and fast fighter, the Dietrich Class hides in his sleekness a powerful punch. Used by the 88sect pilots at close range, this little fighter is a nightmare for less maneuverable adversaries.
Google Adsense