PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Sci-Fi Game Development > Game backstory and descriptions

Old 07-24-2011, 03:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
The Souther Navy in a World War

OK, not Sci-fi but more of a "what if" combined with "Steam punk" take on the American Civil War.

Idea/back drop.
What if in early 1863 a Rebel merchant raider ventured too close to San Fransisco Harbor. While it's pry heads for the safety of the bays fortifications, the raider exchanges shots with the Unions fortifications. Under secret orders from the Czar to attack any beligerent ship, Confederate or European who fires on the US on the West coast, the Russian Navy in engages the raider. No damage is done o either party but the shots set into motion a string of events. the newly formed country of Germany send elements of it's navy to north America, backing the Confederacy. France steps up it's conquest of Mexico, prompting Southern Mexico to through in with the US in exchange for help. The governors northern border states of Coahuila and Nuevo León renue their offer to secede northern Mexico and join the Confederacy, and this time Jeff Davis readily excepts. England, with the worlds largest Navy, readies its forces but cautiously waits, however blockade running and ship building picks up.

With the land forces in Europe facing off (but not actively engaging), the navies of France, Germany, Northern Mexico and the Confederacy get ready to face off against ships from the United States, Russia, and Southern Mexico. The naval action of the Civil War, considered by some a side show, suddenly becomes the focus of the world.

There are three four theaters of operations, each with it's own set of elements to keep in mind. Battles will be fought on the east coast, gulf coast, the West coast, and the inland bays, harbors and rivers of the Southern US and Mexico.

With so much riding on the out come, the industrial out put would by nature focus on new and more impressive ways of killing at sea. This is where a bit of imagination would come into play. Maybe with more materials run through the blockade, a number of "improved" Hunley's could be prowling the bays. Maybe Dr. Gatling's gun would find use on river ironclads after all. Anyhow,

Well. that's my thoughts so far. The backdrop has historical contexts for the What ifs. The Russian navy was under secret orders to defend the West coast. And Northern Mexico did offer to join the Confederacy, but that would have allowed the Union to blockade the open Mexican ports.

I have many "stats" for the needed ships, and could shrink my models way down for table top use. However, I have never designed a game before. It would need to be simple, dice rolling action/outcome kind of game. Maybe involving land mass=money type of thing, with different ships coasting different amounts.

So, would it be interesting enough to others or just me?

CT
Old 07-24-2011, 04:04 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
There was a book lke that years ago that i read and for the life of me can't remember the writer are the books title. there was some little differences do in it and your tale. The newly formed navy of Argentina sent a ships to haiti to protect haiti from any possible actions by the confederacy against haiti and that is where it all starts off
Old 07-24-2011, 04:17 PM

Well, considering that the US under Lincoln formally recognized Haiti, if war with France and the US started, France would have taken the opportunity to try to reconquer Haiti.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
It's an interesting idea and one that you can have a lot of fun with...Harry Turtledove, especially has written a number of novels and series with what-if (whiff) themes, my personal favourite being Guns of the South in which time-travelling South Africans go back to the Civil War to try to bang that whole emancipation thing on the the head...his 'Stars and Stripes' trilogy is pretty light but fun to read as a reunited US takes the war to Victorian England...
Old 07-24-2011, 09:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Ever read any Harry Turtledove? I read 'Guns Of The South'. Great alternate history.
Google Adsense
Old 07-25-2011, 04:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 78.14 MB
Send a message via MSN to rebelatsea
Corey, I have had thoughts along the same lines, but based on the Britain going to war over the Trent incident. I have sheets of info on where all the ships were assuming that actual hostilities would commence in January 1862, the earliest practical date. I have also written a summary of the political position of all "interested" nations.
The Royal Navy position is a summary as stated in Admiralty papers in the event of war with the USA. It is all far too long to add here but I can email it it you. Incidentally I was not aware that the North Mexicans offered vessels to the South.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 78.14 MB
Send a message via MSN to rebelatsea
Dixie Victorous, a volume of alternate histories of the Civil War, edited by Peter G Tsouras, includes two of naval interest, of which the better is Andrew Uffindell's "Hell on Earth"
Old 07-25-2011, 07:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
David Poyer also did an alternate history novel featuring the Confederate Navy as it might've been in the early years of the 20th century.

Turtledove's got a slew of books featuring alternate World Wars One and Two between the US and CS and their European allies.

Wyvern
Old 07-25-2011, 09:09 AM

"Santiago Vidaurri, governor of the border states of Coahuila and Nuevo León, offered to secede northern Mexico and join the Confederacy; Jefferson Davis declined, afraid the valuable "neutral" Mexican ports would be then blockaded."

From dixieoutfitters.com -Show page

I have not researched or cross referenced this yet. However, the few things I cross referenced about men of color in the CSN panned out.

CT
Old 07-25-2011, 10:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
Corey,

This looks mighty interesting. There have been numerous times in history when one errand shot or mis-spoken word would have lead to such an escalation of events. BLUF: Yes, I think this would be interesting and I'd be interested in seeing what you come up with.

Jeff
Google Adsense