PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Sci-Fi Game Development > Game Mechanics Discussion

Old 01-19-2010, 06:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Too complex!!
:( Over simplistic!!

What to do?! What to do?!

Think of it as a very big shell that always hits unless it is intercepted. I didn't put it on the map board moving, because I prefer to focus on ship movement. All weapon fire should be fire and forget for now. But we can make an optional rule with moving missiles and torpedoes.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:57 AM

That's right - Lex decide - either too simple or too complex :D

At the moment let's just play a bit using these rules and see what we like and what we don't like.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 70.75 MB
Send a message via MSN to Lex
Yea I'm not saying that missiles are bound to miss, it's simply giving more room for interception, say you are targeting a capital ship at the back of the enemy line, under the current ruleset if I understand correctly the missile only exists during the one turn, and only the target itself would be able to defend against the incoming missile, while a more realistic situation is as the missile flies through the screen of smaller ships in front of the capital ship, those ships will [of course,] also try and intercept the incoming missile albeit it's not aiming for them.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:04 AM

And just to add, we are testing the entire novel concept of hex bases, range, damage system and movement. (I know other games might have used all these in the past, but our system is ours and new, nobody knows if this combination works or not) If the test fails to produce an acceptable and interesting gameplay (which I'm sure will happen...), then a simpler system for now makes it much easier to know where the heart of the problem lies. After we have the basic points set in stone, we'll then go work on the more detailed part of the rule not so directly relevant to enjoyability.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:06 AM

In Battlefleet Gothic the rocket torpedoes depicted as a wave of rockets counter moved through the battlefield until they went off an edge or collided with something. This adds suspension and unpredictability and I think it is worth implementing here too.
Google Adsense
Old 01-19-2010, 07:13 AM

I have seen people playing that game and thought that the 17 century system is indeed too retro for the setting we're trying to establish. People already have fighters and laser cannons, so who on Mars would ever need blind rockets which doesn't know where they're going? :D Still that might be a possibility for technically underdeveloped factions, but perhaps not all of them... I am thinking about a missile system more resembling the carrier-fighter concept, with the exception that they fly quicker and doesn't come back...
Old 01-19-2010, 08:36 AM

If nonmaneuverability of rocket torpedoes bugs you then we can give them simple selfdirecting ability - for example at the beginning of turn, along with other compulsory movements they'd turn into direction of closest ship in front arc (the green and yellow zone), turn to face it and move towards it (losing fourth of their movement if turning into yellow zone).

And lets make them nasty things with thermonuclear warheads with a radius of damage - they can explode even if movement does not bring them into contact with the attacked ship but it is in their radius of damage - and other ships in the radius will get hit as well.

Sounds like fun :D
Old 01-19-2010, 11:19 AM

lol proximity detonation. Sounds like loads of fun but for now we'll play with the two pieces provided. And the compulsory homing is what I had in mind.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex View Post
Yea I'm not saying that missiles are bound to miss, it's simply giving more room for interception, say you are targeting a capital ship at the back of the enemy line, under the current ruleset if I understand correctly the missile only exists during the one turn, and only the target itself would be able to defend against the incoming missile, while a more realistic situation is as the missile flies through the screen of smaller ships in front of the capital ship, those ships will [of course,] also try and intercept the incoming missile albeit it's not aiming for them.
Think of it as the ship that fired the missiles to have done it some time before. The distance between the ships will decide the capacity in jamming, targeting and using all types of ECMs against the incoming missiles. Not writen in the given rules, but already writen down in my test games is the following rule:

"All friendly ships that are near the target ships and with PD range of it can use its PD weapons to target enemy missiles, torpedoes and squadrons."
Old 01-19-2010, 12:40 PM

I like the idea of swarming the space with missiles (in the future we'll make Missile Vessels with that capability), but the keep moving straight ahead is a very silly rule even for a Gothic future universe. You are capable of building a gigantic ship, but you don't have tech to build a simple 20th century "target, lock and follow" device...
Google Adsense