PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Sci-Fi Game Development > Game Mechanics Discussion

Old 01-19-2010, 02:57 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
Its not what I envisioned at all.... not even remotely.... but thats ok - I am open to any and all ideas, especially ones that make for fast gameplay.

You see I initially thought he wanted to roll that for each and every ship, not an overall init roll for a whole turn.

I will let you gus test it out a bit before any judgements are made. Also we know this is extreme high level and lots of changes will need to be made for balancing, good play, etc.

A roll like that once a turn really isnt a big deal.
Chris
Old 01-19-2010, 02:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
As for the dice - I see the motto for this game: "All you need to immerse yourself in Space Wars is a printer, scissors, glue and a couple of ordinary dices - what you're waiting for?!" :D
Old 01-19-2010, 02:59 PM

@Chris:
Now, be a good boy and read the rules, invite a friend, use some scissors and glue and play a game and then, hit me with all you got.

@lehcyfer:
One of the most played space games used several different dice. Silent Death. It is consistently considered one of the best game systems. If I have an Admiral with CQ5 and my adversary have an Admiral with CQ7 :0 why is it slower or strange for me to have a D12 to use in the Initiative phase and my opponent have near his flag ship card 2D10? It's funny, gives a sense of uniqueness to our characters and is more accurate than: (1d6/3+1D6/2)-1 or am I wrong?

And the big question is: What die does (1d6/3+1D6/2)-1 simulates?
Old 01-19-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lehcyfer View Post
Chris, what Blackronin came up with is a game in which both players move and shoot simultaneously in the same turn. The CQ and initiative roll at the beginning of the turn allow player with higher CQ move after the player with lower CQ, which is a tactical advantage. Additionally both players can use the number they rolled on initiative test to give their ships additional agility points which allow for additional fine-tuning of gametable tactic.

This is quite a difference for me as I grow up immersed in games in which players moved, shooted etc. in their separate turns, so it's quite a leap for me - I have to wrap my head around this and playtest the hell out of it, but as I see it this rules have capacity to turn the game into really fast flowing, very involving experience.

As I see it this need a lot of tweaking, but is potentially a dynamite.

(Hint: Don't throw it away without really checking this out :D )
Thanks, lehcyfer. It is very nice when someone that has such a different approach as you have make such a compliment on what I've done.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:14 PM
Design Admin

I have owned silent death for about 15 years.... never played cause I could never find anyone to play with :(
Chris
Google Adsense
Old 01-19-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
What die does (1d6/3+1D6/2)-1 simulates?
It's D4, a flawed one in which 2,3 are twice more probable than 1,4

I hear first time about silent death :P
Old 01-19-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgutzmer View Post
I have owned silent death for about 15 years.... never played cause I could never find anyone to play with :(
Chris
Chris! That is a very sad thing, if I wasn't an Ocean apart I would go play SD with you this weekend! I start playing Silent Death when I was 18 in 1889. I played it a lot, made campaigns, created stories, I even created a hexless rule system. My friend would come to my house and we played all the weekend with my gram-ma feeding us cookies and orange juice. It's a very good system and I wish that Iron Crown would make more of it than it did. (It did very good stuff, mind you.)
Old 01-19-2010, 03:35 PM
Design Admin

1889???? man you are one old dude! :P

I was off piloting the USS South Carolina CGN-37 in 1989 so silent death would have been out for me then!
Chris
Old 01-19-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Thanks, lehcyfer. It is very nice when someone that has such a different approach as you have make such a compliment on what I've done.
I am not attacking or praising anyone personally. I just want this game to kick a$$ :D I may be stubborn, but if your system is better then too bad for my system
Old 01-19-2010, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgutzmer View Post
1889???? man you are one old dude! :P

I was off piloting the USS South Carolina CGN-37 in 1989 so silent death would have been out for me then!
Chris
If you were piloting the USS South Carolina CGN-37 by that time you are older than me, or am I wrong?! And my wife is saying that I'm not old, I'm becoming a classic. Good drive and nice looks! :P
Google Adsense