PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Sci-Fi Game Development > Game Mechanics Discussion

Old 01-21-2010, 05:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by lehcyfer View Post
I'm glad you've included my idea. There's something I'd like to change in the implementation:

This way it sounds very convincing and realistic - also there are pluses and minuses on both sides - higher defense comes at cost of no attack, higher attack comes at a price of lower defence - so it remains balanced.

This rule just oozes with tactical thinking
I understand your idea and in another trait I would go with you, but not here. I don't like the -2 in the weapons side. I personally wouldn't use a ship that being normally with a defense 4 could be hit in a place where it has a defense 2. To treble a defense 2, 6 in fact, it's so easy that the minuses is much worst than the Defense 6 on the other side. The fact that the ship cannot fire against the ship from which she is defending is already an enough minus.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:31 PM

The attack dices get doubled - that gives temptation to use it in spite of the lover defense. It would be good to use against critical damaged ships with halved attack.

Such perks should give an advantage, but also be a potential weakness - otherwise players of other than Hekate races would scream of unfairness. The way it is, this trait will not be used without thinking, but there will be occasions it will be perfect for.

Of course it is all a matter of extensive playtesting and tweaking as we are working with a draft of a system here.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:42 PM

Glad that you read it!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgutzmer View Post
OK - took a break to read the rules. They seem to be interesting yet not very difficult to figure out. I would forsee a small printable reference card for some of the rolls and/or specials.
Reference card. Agreed.

Quote:
I have not played many different types of sci fi games. I can say this is nothing like anything I have played before. How do these basics seem for originality for those of you with more gaming experience?
I would say... original... but I may be suspect... :o

Quote:
Can I get a couple clarifications?
Shoot! :D

Quote:
When you say No armor that means that weapon negates armor on target unit when calculating damage/hit?
No, It means that if the enemy ship has Heavy Armor (+1 to Defense against some weapons) this weapon negates that.

Quote:
Under missiles and torpedos you say that a ship can fire all its weapons That means if a ship has an enemy ship on any of its weaposn arcs the ship can fire with that fire arc wepons to each ship. I assume that this means each ship can fire each of its weapons only ONCE each round. if multiple ships fall within an arc it needs to choose a target. it cannot fire a second time at another ship in its range with the same weapon. Will there be any overlap at all? For instance will a starboard/port weapon be able to point far enough forward or rearward to allow bringing multiple weapons to bear on a given target when possible?
Correct. All weapons can fire once against one target. If you have more than one ship in one firing arc, and you have three weapon systems in that firing arc every weapon system can fire once against one of the ships, but they can fire against different ships.

In the firing arcs of the base of the ships are already accounted the weapon systems that can fire to several places, i.e. weapons that are mounted in towers and can rotate.

Quote:
What do you think of critical misses? For instance if destroyer b fires on another ship in its forward arc and rolls all ones its a critical miss.... if a friendly ship is in that same arc it gets hit and take appropriate damage.
I already thought about it and I am guarding that idea, not really critical misses, but "Poor Mechanical Reliability", to the Advanced Rules.

Quote:
I am bit confused by the numbers in the white rectangles. How do you know what weapon has what arc? I might be missing the obvious....
Weapons on ships are divided in three different types. Primary/Secondary/Special - When there are numbers like: 10/6/2 It means that the first weapon on the ship card is the primary, the second is the secondary and the third is the special. If a ship has only two weapons in the card and in the base she has 0/4/2, it means that the first weapon on the chart is a secondary and the second is a special weapon and that ship doesn't have primary weapons. If a ship has all three weapons, but in one of the arcs has only 0/2/0 it means that in that arc she has only two secondary weapons to fire.

Quote:
I cant tell for sure but shouldnt each weapon have a specific firing arc? Even split up amongst different firing arcs? For instance the Mars class cruiser has 10 heavy lasers. How do I know what arc those lasers use? Even then the heavy lasers could be split up amongst different arcs. On smallish ships I could see the firing arcs being a bit flexible as they are smaller so might have better visibility to the surroundings (maybe) but on the big ships like cruisers I think they would be a bit more focused. Like all 10 might have a fairly wide(100 degree) forward facing arc but nothing else. or five might cover 120 degrees starboard and the other five the port side. etc etc. To accomplish this you would have a base that shows basic quadrants like they are now - the yellow would be overlap to allow weapons from different arcs to be brought to bear. This flexibility would be a factor in what ships to choose. Red would be port side coverage, green starboard side coverage, white Forward coverage and blue aft coverage. Yellow would be between each color to show overlap from the two arcs. I will draw a pic tonight if that not clear.
But the covering arcs are all there, my friend. Let's see the Mars Class Cruiser. It has 10 primary weapons, right? and the first number (primary weapons) in the white rectangles is Bow:0 / Port and Starboard:8 and Stern: 0. AH! My mistake, sorry. I draw 4 in the bow, rectangle and it should be a 6! Damn. Two towers with 3 guns that can fire P/B/S and 2 fixed side cannon, 2to port and 2 to starboard.

Secondaries:
1 turret with 2 weapons and 360º
1 turret with 2 weapons P/B/S
2 fixed Starboard
2 fixed Port
=8

2 special in the bow arc of fire.

Quote:
As described there are up to three banks of weapons primary, secondary and special. The numbers in each rectangle would show how many of each weapon type are in that arc.

Mars class cruiser weapons:
10 heavy lasers would be primary
8 light lasers secondary
2 HE special

the TOTALS need to match up for each number
forward arc could be 2/0/2 meaning two heavy lasers and 2 HE missiles
port arc 3/4/0 three heavy, 4 light
starboard arc 3/4/0 3 heavy, 4 light
aft arc 2/0/0 2 heavy lasers.

If a ship was at 45 degrees of the port bow the cruiser could bring more weapons to bear and use 5 heavy lasers, 4 light lasers and the two missiles if they did not want to use those weapons against other units. Each weapon gets used once per round max. (unless there is a special ship ability or something)

clear as mud I suppose....
I hope that I was clear in my explanation. If not, shoot again.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:45 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
ah yes - it was that typo that threw me off on that one base

what do you think of the overlapping arcs to bring more firepower to bear? that overlap will be unique to each ship based on configurations and ship design.
Thanks!
Chris
Old 01-21-2010, 05:53 PM

Chris, you are always revealing my hidden cards! That cannot be.

You mean this Special Ability:

Sliding Towers: This ship can concentrate the fire of all it's primary weapons, refer to Ship Card number in any arc except the rear arc. The turn this ship does that cannot fire it's primary weapons in any other arc.
Google Adsense
Old 01-21-2010, 06:17 PM
Design Admin

I like the special ability most definitely but I think most ships should have the ability to overlap arcs somewhat - it doesnt have to overlap much but I think it would offer a better strategy to movement the overlaps could be race specific bonuses based on their ship designs! Or restrictions for that matter
Old 01-21-2010, 06:26 PM

But you see, that overlapping already exists in the basic ship base. If the Mars Cruiser has 10 Primary guns and he can fire 8/6/8 that means that he is overlapping its two towers with the side weapons.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
But the covering arcs are all there, my friend. Let's see the Mars Class Cruiser. It has 10 primary weapons, right? and the first number (primary weapons) in the white rectangles is Bow:0 / Port and Starboard:8 and Stern: 0. AH! My mistake, sorry. I draw 4 in the bow, rectangle and it should be a 6! Damn. Two towers with 3 guns that can fire P/B/S and 2 fixed side cannon, 2to port and 2 to starboard.

Secondaries:
1 turret with 2 weapons and 360º
1 turret with 2 weapons P/B/S
2 fixed Starboard
2 fixed Port
=8

2 special in the bow arc of fire.
So it can shoot 2 primary at both sides plus 6 from two turrets to either side or forward.
Each battery can fire once a turn, right? So I could fire 6 primary to the ship in front with the two turrets, but then my firepower to either side would be 2 as the turrets already fired, right?

If so I'd wrote the sides 2(6)/6/0, and front (6)/4/2 where number in the ( ) is from turrets and can be used only once.

There are two turrets of 3 guns - if you can use the turrets separately then it could be written 2(3,3)/6/0, (3,3)/4/2
Old 01-21-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lehcyfer View Post
So it can shoot 2 primary at both sides plus 6 from two turrets to either side or forward.
Each battery can fire once a turn, right? So I could fire 6 primary to the ship in front with the two turrets, but then my firepower to either side would be 2 as the turrets already fired, right?

If so I'd wrote the sides 2(6)/6/0, and front (6)/4/2 where number in the ( ) is from turrets and can be used only once.

There are two turrets of 3 guns - if you can use the turrets separately then it could be written 2(3,3)/6/0, (3,3)/4/2
I thought of that, but I don't want to complicate things and also I like to give weight to the importance of turrets.

So I left this inconsistence just to add simplicity and to make towers be more important than hull mounted weapons.

So in reality a turret weapon can potentially fire up to 4 times in a turn while a hull mounted turret can only fire once. But you pay a lot more for turrets than you pay for hull mounted weapons and you just need to glance to the number to know how many dice you use and speeds things up with elegance.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:34 PM
Design Admin

yeah - that gets kind of complex to remember what shot and then you may have to consider when weapons are damaged by a crit hit. I will try to make up a base to show what I mean, maybe it will make it clearer.
Chris
Google Adsense