PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Sci-Fi Game Development > Game Mechanics Discussion

Old 01-21-2010, 08:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I don't like this inconsistence.
Simple (6) for turrets is ok, very easy to remember that you can use the number in parentheses only once per turn.

There could be "turret hit" critical disabling them, and "fast turrets" ability - shot turrets twice per turn.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:32 PM

I'll play test a game tomorrow with that in mind. I'm working in the point system, so it won't be difficult.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:33 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
ok, points taken - i dont think it adds much complexity though, let me know how the playtest goes.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:17 AM

@Blackronin on the Hard shell:
Quote:
I don't like the -2 in the weapons side. I personally wouldn't use a ship that being normally with a defense 4 could be hit in a place where it has a defense 2. To treble a defense 2, 6 in fact, it's so easy that the minuses is much worst than the Defense 6 on the other side.
Perhaps -1 will be enough to demonstrate that the bottom indeed is a soft spot.

On the other theme - I don't like automatic Critical hits at doubles and Explosions at triples - I'd prefer to make it a fifty-fifty possibility by 4+ D6 throw instead of automatic critical hit when double, and when triple on D6 1-3 critical hit, 4+ explosion. It can be tweaked, but I'd prefer to have option of blind luck.

On shooting:
Quote:
Correct. All weapons can fire once against one target. If you have more than one ship in one firing arc, and you have three weapon systems in that firing arc every weapon system can fire once against one of the ships, but they can fire against different ships.
Hmm. You've meant "All weapons can fire once against one target in each arc (or two arcs if the numbers are on the borderline)"? Or the ship can only fire each kind of it's weapon once per turn (no matter in which direction)?
Old 01-22-2010, 10:53 AM
Design Admin

each weapon can be fired only once per round. If multiple targets are in its arc it must choose a target.

In regards to criticals I dont think the double and triple is out of line - it shows overwhelming firepower against a unit with inferior (compared to the attackers weapons) shields/armor. Might require some play testing though
Chris
Google Adsense
Old 01-22-2010, 12:14 PM

So to sum it up:

The base is fragmented into arcs of fire.
In each arc there are three squares with numbers - namely primary, secondary and special weapons, where the number is number of dices rolled in that arc for that type of weapon - in other words in that arc you can attack up to three ships (or one ship three times), one attack for one square with a number.
Shooting in one arc doesn't stop you from shooting in other arcs.

Is that correct?

Now the movement - turn to green: max speed, turn to yellow: 3/4 of max speed, turn to red: 1/2 of max speed, turn to grey: rules does not say (1/4 of max speed?, speed 0?, can't turn to grey?)
Old 01-22-2010, 12:18 PM

Correct.
No turn to the grey arc. Grey is base colour of the base, not arc at all.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:30 PM

It's strange - if on red it still has 1/2 of movement then why can't it use it up to stop dead and turn around?

It also doesn't say if a ship must move. If a ship can stop without any problem then why can't it turn around? Even if it couldn't stop because of the momentum there's nothing that can stop the spaceship to turn around and fly backwards. :/

Gosh this is a game, not spaceflight simulation but why can't ship turn around?
Old 01-22-2010, 01:49 PM

Ships can't stop dead unless conditions are met. I didn't wrote the rules yet because I was playing still with it. And turning a big ship 180º while she's is immobile also takes time. A lot of mass to the maneuvering thrusters, so it's not only momentum that is the reason for wide turns, mass is also an issue.

Experimental rule: For a moving ship to be able to stop dead in space she must declare that in one turn , move only up to half its speed in that turn and be marked with a counter. Next turn, the ship can move all its movement allowance (the captain changed his mind) or move less than half the movement allowance or even stay where it begun the turn.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:52 PM
Design Admin

thats a fair experiement rule - lets see how it plays out!
Google Adsense