PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Sci-Fi Game Development > Game Mechanics Discussion

Old 01-22-2010, 03:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Fixing some Rules after Feedback and Game Testing

After some game play I fixed for the better some rules that Chris and lehcyfer pointed me out that had glitches:

Tower and Firing Arcs:

Weapons and Firing Arcs: A ship can fire all its weapons. That means that a Ship can only shoot the maximum number of weapons that it has in the Card Game, not all the weapons that she has on the several firing arcs in the ship base. That numbers are the maximum number of weapons of that kind that a ship can point to that particular firing arc.
If a ships has 10 primary weapons in the card game and fires 8 against another ship in the starboard arc of fire (where the maximum of primary weapons it can fire is 8), it will only be able to fire 2 more against another ship in another arc of fire. But the split order is up to the player. If he can fire 8 primary weapons in the starboard arc of fire and 6 in the bow arc of fire, he can decide to split 6 to the starboard arc target and 4 to the bow arc target.

That means that if a ship has an enemy ship on any of its weapon arcs, the ship can fire with that fire arc weapons to each ship up to the maximum number of weapons the ship has.

Designer Note: This way, it will be easy to see how many weapons are in towers and the arc of the towers and how many weapons are hull mounted.

Critical and weapon damage:

In regards to damage, I like very much the system of Defense and doubling it and triple it. It's fast, funny and can make some very interesting twists in the game. But I do understand the Critical table problem that lehcyfer pointed. I worked it out with a better and wider critical table where there is still the possibility of not having any critical whatsoever (30%):

Critical hits are those hits that destroyed some major system and it will diminish the ship’s capabilities. If a ship suffers a critical hit, roll 1D12 in Critical Table below:

Critical Table (1D12)

1 – Crew Killed
2 – Engines Damaged
3 - Primary Weapons
4 - Secondary Weapons
5 - Special Weapons
6 - Point Defense Out
7 - Diminished Agility
8 - Cargo Destroyed
9 - Hull Damage
10 to 12 - No Critical

Crew Killed – A significant part of the crew was killed. Ship response becomes more difficult. Turns are one color more difficult from now on. Green is yellow. Yellow is red and red is forbidden. Second critical has no effect.
Engines Damaged – Engines lose power with damage. Engines lose two points of movement per critical they receive.
Primary Weapons – First critical will destroy half the Primary Weapons the ship possesses. Second Critical will destroy the other half.
Secondary Weapons – First critical will destroy half the Secondary Weapons the ship possesses. Second Critical will destroy the other half.
Special Weapons – First critical will destroy half the Special Weapons the ship possesses. Second Critical will destroy the other half.
Point Defense Out - First critical will destroy half the Point Defense Weapons the ship possesses. Second Critical will destroy the other half.
Diminished Agility – Ship looses maneuver thrusters. Lose one point of Agility per critical it receives.
Cargo Destroyed – Ship Cargo is destroyed. Second critical has no effect.
Hull Damage – Ship receives 2 extra hit points of damage per Hull Damage Critical that the ship receives.
No Critical - Although the hit entered the soft core of the ship, the destruction was made in less important decks. No additional damage.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:41 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
in regards to weapons being destroyed...
how do you know what half? say damage is taken from an arc thats shared by 8 of 10 heavy lasers. 3 point forward, 5 point starboard. 4 need to be destroyed.... Using your system of overlap you would really only know that 8 total share that arc, not how many point forward and how many point starboard. Of course maybe thats the point for simplicity but I rather like the idea of destroying all waepons in a given attacked arc (primary or secondary or special) but I am not sure how tht would work...
Old 01-22-2010, 03:46 PM

It wouldn't. Some weapons are rotating, so you cannot destroy the rotating part to that arc and the rotating part of the same weapon would still work in the other side. But if you destroy half of the weapons in the card, say, 5 out of ten and you also divide the weapons of that type in all the arcs, say 8 weapons in one arc goes to 4, the symmetry is maintained, meaning that you destroyed half the turrets or an ship section that had some of its weapons.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:53 PM
Design Admin

ok - so long as it works and makes sense you know more about that than I do!
Old 01-22-2010, 04:33 PM

What about the triple destruction? I'd like to have at least a lucky 6 on D6 that turns it into critical (with the No Critical result excluded)

Also critical Cargo destroyed - some ships have two cargo bays, perhaps some transporters will have even more - let the critical destroy one of them - this way there is still possible that some of the units carried by the ship will survive to land on the planet (the scenarios). Next criticals would destroy next cargo bays - when there's no intact cargo bays left it has no effect. In scenario transported units will have to be assigned to exact cargo bays - and the number of destroyed cargo bay decided by dice throw (a preparation for the scenarios).
Google Adsense
Old 01-22-2010, 04:40 PM
Design Admin

I concur on the cargo bays. I thin thats really the intent though. If you are going to go with the lucky d6 then I think there should be TWO rolls on the normal critical table if they roll a six. Just to reinforce it was an exceptionally critical critical
Old 01-22-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lehcyfer View Post
What about the triple destruction? I'd like to have at least a lucky 6 on D6 that turns it into critical (with the No Critical result excluded)
I understand your point of view. Let me meditate on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lehcyfer View Post
Also critical Cargo destroyed - some ships have two cargo bays, perhaps some transporters will have even more - let the critical destroy one of them - this way there is still possible that some of the units carried by the ship will survive to land on the planet (the scenarios). Next critical would destroy next cargo bays - when there's no intact cargo bays left it has no effect. In scenario transported units will have to be assigned to exact cargo bays - and the number of destroyed cargo bay decided by dice throw (a preparation for the scenarios).
You are completely right here.

Rule changed:
Cargo Destroyed – One point of Ship Cargo is destroyed per critic. Second and subsequent critics will destroy more Points of Ship Cargo. Cargo inside the ship will be destroyed randomly.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 70.75 MB
Send a message via MSN to Lex
In order not to restrict ship design... I might have read the rules wrong, but I just wished to make sure that the actual number of guns you see on a ship will not be faithfully represented during gaming, as I don't want to stop someone intending to design a 100-gun interstellar sailship [I'm not going that way]...
Old 01-23-2010, 02:15 PM

Movement measurement - at this point the movement unit is 5cm. Destroyers move at speed 15 which equals 75cm. That's huge! The cruisers move at 8 (40cm) and 10 (50cm) speeds. I'm almost afraid to ask how fast fighters will move :P

Anyways, in two moves a destroyer will move 1,5m which is almost entire table length. I know that we aim at a fast game, but for me it's tad too fast. I propose to change the movement unit to 1 inch - approx half of the speed now. The game will be playable on smaller tables too (and easier to play for Americans I suppose).

Second thing - the rules say that turning yellow cost 1/4 of movement, red 1/2 of movement. Destroyer will then move 15 units (75cm) in green, 11,25 units (56,25cm) in yellow and 7,5units (37,5cm) in red :/

The numbers are not very friendly. Perhaps it would help if the speeds would be multiplications of 4 - for example 16 in green would translate into 12 in yellow and 8 in red. The other idea would be to round the numbers (up or down).

It would be helpful if the speed would be repeated at each color zone (in the flame picture) - in the case of speed 8 (the Mars cruiser) it would be 8 in green, 6 in yellow, 4 in red and none in grey. No need for calculating in head equals faster movement phase.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 70.75 MB
Send a message via MSN to Lex
Rationalising the numbers maybe a must, and also check my suggestion in general doscussions forum.

If the indicators are placed on the card, it may actually mean we could do clever things with the speeds, such as for some ships the damaged speed might not follow the regular rules.
Google Adsense