PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Sci-Fi Game Development > Game Mechanics Discussion

Old 01-19-2010, 03:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
This or That?

For game purposes both bases work fine.
From front to end both hexes are of the same size, I just thinned one.
I prefer the thinner hexagon, and you?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg asharl dd base.jpg (53.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg mars cruiser base.jpg (88.7 KB, 2 views)
Google Adsense
Old 01-19-2010, 03:52 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
stretched - it gives a better idea of the direction the ship should be facing
Old 01-19-2010, 04:16 PM

Are all the angles around middle point equal? If so then it is ok to get thinner bases - the ships will be able to move closer to each other without overlapping bases.

And I'd like to propose sth - what if we could add third dimension to the game? We could for example introduce 3 levels - one close to the table, second a bit higher and third above the second - let's say heights of 10, 20 and 30cm - achieved by having 3 lengths of stick for each ship.

Technically it woldn't be hard to achieve - paper models are light and it could be quite stable if the base was made a bit heavier.

What it would allow is a visual effect and gambits of hiding behind planets, asteroids etc.

Later, in planetary games this setup could be used for gaining an advantage of height in fights between airborne models.

What do you think? It's The Space - 3D, not a flat black table, right? :D

Would be an interesting visual twist to the boring 2,5D games. I wonder what other tactical advantages different levels could give to the spaceships...
Old 01-19-2010, 04:22 PM

That's an excellent idea for the advanced game or even for a 3D supplement. I'll think about the tactical flexibility that this rule can give to play.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 70.75 MB
Send a message via MSN to Lex
Of course 3D would be a great idea! But currently it looked more like an air combat's 3D than a cosmic 3D. We could give it a try anyway
Google Adsense
Old 01-19-2010, 06:55 PM
Design Admin

I have been mulling the 3d idea over in my head for a while now.... like since I decided to start this up.... trying to figure how to get it to work. I think that would make for a very unique game! I would say it defintely needs some kind of physical representation on the table to make it visually obvious. Only thing I can think of is to make the pole the ships on slide up and down. Then we would need some way to lock it in place. Those little office clips might work but I would like some feat of paper engineering.... maybe its time for a little contest winner would get a free copy of the game! It would need to be 100% paper. Lock in place at three distinct heights. Easily attach to the base and any ship. Any other requirements you can think of? Maybe anything else I can work into the contest - like maybe Cosmos in Conflict paper dice? It might help get the other forums more interested!
Chris
Old 01-19-2010, 07:09 PM

That would be interesting, Chris. We can provide a representation of our idea of 3 positions and ask for development.

The dice idea is a very good one.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:13 PM
Design Admin

I think i will whip up a quick post on the big forums and ours of course
Chris
Old 01-20-2010, 12:26 AM

100% paper sticks would be thick and cumbersome. Best are wooden sticks - like for shish kebab - painted black would be almost invisible on black board making impression of ships hovering in space. I think it's not a problem to make 3 sets of bases and just changing them when changing level.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 70.75 MB
Send a message via MSN to Lex
Depends on the thickness of sticks, a 5mm diameter solid paper rolled stick would approach that of a wooden one in terms of strength. Strength is not a problem here, the models they can support is light anyway. Plus I would remain hesitant on whether we will ask builders to provide material other than paper...
Google Adsense