PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Sci-Fi Game Development > Game Mechanics Discussion

Old 01-23-2010, 10:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Digital Bases

My dear a beautiful wife took some weight from my back and designed this base model so that I can make all the bases faster and cleaner.

What do you think?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Asharl Class DD base.pdf (137.4 KB, 8 views)
Google Adsense
Old 01-23-2010, 12:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.44 MB
*Whistles* Wow, that's looking mighty nice! Compliments to your wife, it really does look great!
Old 01-23-2010, 12:02 PM

I asked her to make a different one with a little more "high tech feel". What do you think?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Asharl_Class_ Destroyer copy.pdf (106.8 KB, 8 views)
Old 01-23-2010, 12:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.44 MB
Looking great, definitely love the highlights on the base.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:33 PM

The second one look very clear - I'd only make the shield lighter blue to make the defense number better visible.
Google Adsense
Old 01-23-2010, 05:19 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
i like it! I still think the firing arc system needs some work though, somehow it just doesnt jive with me. gotta think about it. I dont like having the numbers on the line, they should be in the middle of each section to make more definitive firing arcs. for instance, i dont like that this particular ship has 0/4/x for 5 of 6 quadrants. I know the turrets are flexible but thats an aweful lot of coverage and does not leave much strategy requirement for good maneuvering tactics.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:33 PM

Chris: A WW2 destroyer/cruiser/Battleship would have a 270º coverage with any of his turrets. And having tipically 6/8 double/triple barrel turrets 2/3 in the bow and 1/3 in the stern he had a pretty decent 360º coverage. I'm reducing that having none or very little weapons in the stern arc, but I guess that with that we have a good tactical system.

lehcypher: A lighter shade of blue will be added.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:45 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
I was stationed on a cruiser in the navy... 5 inch gun on fore and one aft. Neither of those guns had a 270 degree arc (might be able to move that far but it doesnt mean its a good position to fire). You would never have wanted the concussion from the firing that close to the superstructure. Maybe 200 degrees MAX. We also had CIWS (PD in our game) port and starboard. 120 deg arc approx on each side due to the superstructure. Of course this will vary greatly based on ship design.

Now there WAS 360 degree coverage total but not for all weapons. Each weapon had a very specific firing arc. thats all I am getting at is that you wont get that much coverage from all 10 heavy lasers although you could get that much coverage total from maybe 2 foreward, 4 port, 4 starboard with overlap in between sides and foreward. Of course this could add some complexity but it could also add a LOT of strategy to making good and proper movements. I am looking for a way to add a higher level of strategy to the game without a huge amount of extra complexity. Maybe its too hard....
Old 01-23-2010, 06:54 PM

Maybe not. Today I played 3 games and I have to change some stuff. A friend played with me and my wife and in the first game I took extensive notes during half of the game, but then the game become so tactic and as we were discussing changes in the game I took less and less game notes so I will be able only to make a report of the first game. But some things will have to change - for the better, I think. Give me a couple of hours or maybe tomorrow, as it's getting late here and I'll upload the game report and the changes.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:25 AM

I found that taping the games was very fast and precise - I just spoke aloud what distance I moved, what throw with what dices I'm making, what were the results and I was making vertical photos after each movement phase and at the end of phase. Simply comment, and then transcribe the tapes and draw battle plan according to pictures.

After each battle i transcribed I found tons of mistakes and holes in the rules. A lot of knowledge is hidden in a good battle transcript.
Google Adsense