PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Sci-Fi Game Development > Game Mechanics Discussion

Old 01-25-2010, 02:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
No. That was the other game. With this one, I would say more, game only, maybe 40 minutes or so.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:37 PM

I am interested how do you follow the damages - I mean - in rules it says that the damages are applied at the end of firing phase - I kind of don't see it - can you elaborate more on an example - like the turn 4:

Quote:
Fire
Specials:
Hecate dd1 fired 4 torpedoes against human cc2. 3 hits one critical. CC2 lost half secondaries. (Total 7 damage to hull)
Hecate dd2 fired 4 torpedoes against human dd2. Three hits Trebled! Ship exploded.
Human dd2 fired 2 missiles against Hecate dd1. One went in. Trebled! Ship exploded.
Secondaries:
Hecate dd2 fired against human dd2
Hecate dd1 fires 4 secondaries against human cc2. Hits with 1. no damage.
Hecate cc1 fires 4 secondaries against human cc1. (half lost by critical). hits with 2. 2 damage no criticals Ship explodes.
Hecate cc2 fires 4 secondaries against human cc1.
Human dd2 fires 6 secondaries against dd1. Hits with 2. 2 damage.
Human CC1 fires 4 secondaries against hecate cc1. Hits with 4. 2 damage. Ship explodes
Human cc2 fires 6 secondaries against hecate cc2. Hits with 1. 1 damage. (Total 1 damage).
Primaries:
Hecate CC1 fires 4 primaries against human cc1. (Critical half primaries)
Hecate CC2 fires 6 primaries against human cc1.
human cc1 fires 6 primaries against hecate cc2. Hits with 3. makes 3 damage (Total 4 damage).
Human cc2 fires 8 primaries against hecate cc2. Hits with 2! 1damage. (Total 5 damage).
Was the shooting declared and then carried out? were the dices that hit put aside to resolve later? or did you resolved all at once? How the actual play went like? Please try to describe it in detail to someone who wasn't there to see it
Old 01-25-2010, 03:01 PM

The system is:

Player who lost initiative declared all his shootings: "Cruiser 1 will fire main weapons against this and secondaries against that, etc..."
Then player who won the initiative declared his.
Player who lost the initiative fired all his torpedoes. Pertinent PD fire was resolved.
Player who lost initiative fired all his secondaries and primaries.
Damage done was put near each target ship and not in the card to signalize that it didn't took effect this turn yet.

Player who gain the initiative done the same.

All damage and critics are now on. Destroyed ships leave playing table.

Example of firing procedure:
"Hecate CC1 fires 8 primaries against human cc1. Hits with 3. 2 damage 1 critic. Critical: loose half primaries."

Measure of distance. Long. Hit on a 6+
Roll 8D6 ending up with 3 6's.
Roll 3D12 (weapon damage). 4, 7 10
4 - equals Defense, no damage
7 - more than defense, 1 damage to hull.
10 - doubles but not trebles defense, 1 damage to hull plus 1 critical.
roll on critical hit table.

I hope that I was clear.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:46 PM

So you use counters to mark the critical hits and explosions, and dices to mark damage inflicted, then after all attacks are resolved write it down on cards or simply remove the exploded ships.

With the counters it sounds possible. I was afraid I'll have to remember all damages of all ships

I wonder what gives the initiative though - the damage doesn't impair fighting so there is no advantage at all in firing phase in having won initiative - it is unimportant who declares his shoots first - Or am I not seeing something?
Old 01-25-2010, 04:05 PM

I've uploaded counters to game testing. Look for it.
If you won the initiative, you'll know to what ships the enemy is going to fire and you can deduct the chances of that ship survive, so you can, with more knowledge choose where your fire will be best used and also use the Admiral choices with more knowledge of what will happen.
Google Adsense
Old 01-25-2010, 04:12 PM

Yeah, I noticed the counters that's why I mentioned them. Thanks for explanation - you're right, there are some slight advantages that a savvy admiral will be able to use.