PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Sci-Fi Game Development > General game discussion

Old 01-11-2010, 09:08 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
Sci-Fi Game

OK folks, this idea has been tinkered with for a bit now.... I think its time to dust off the idea. Especially now that The Haggard has signed on with Ecardmodels.

I want to develop a Sci-Fi game that will utilize paper models for the entire game. Models will of course need to be kept fairly simple for this as people might need to print a build a lot of them. Possible even have 2.5 d representations of models to go along with the real builds.

I am thinking along the lines of a fairly large game with different parts that could be played standalone if desired.

Overall idea (this is a very quick, not set in stone idea of course)

Part 1: Outerspace phase will have space combat, troop and resource movement to specified location

part 2: planetary phase will be the dropping of troops and resources, building of bases and atmospheric combat

part 3: planetary conquest will be the taking over and elimination of the opponents bases.

I have no preconcieved notions of complexity but I would like to make it playable on a couple levels, very easy short games (30 min) and medium difficulty longer games (2-4 hours).

I am thinking the short games will just be one phase. Long game all phases.

If there is interest in developing this I will make its own section. If you wish to participate please let me know what you want to do - design models, work on game theory, write rules etc etc.

One thing about the models - we will want to use layers, probably fairly heavily as we will want someone who buys say a space freighter to be able to print it off in differnent colors or liveries based on The team/race/whatever they wish to play.

Thoughts?
Thanks!
Chris
Google Adsense
Old 01-11-2010, 10:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.23 GB
Good ideea , I allready have 2 models that could fit to part 3 and one to part1.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:01 PM
Design Admin

I know there are TONS of free models out there that could be used... however I would like to stick to paid models for the most part sice each person would only need to buy one model of each type to print out as many as they want for any side. This is what I am thinking if you have a free model you want in the game you will make an appropriate model for the game as well that will include all the layers and whatnot. Your other model can remain free and the new one will be sold. If the customer wants they can just print your free one as much as they want and decorate as they desire. I would expect the paid for one to be a better option though
Chris
Old 01-11-2010, 01:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I like this idea.

Will help if I can. I have a number of board games and can give advice on combat rules, movement etc.

A simple box model showing front, back, top and sides is a good place to start.

Cheers JTF
Old 01-11-2010, 02:10 PM
Design Admin

Oh jeez - I dont want quite that simple!

making a dedicated section for this idea now...
Chris
Google Adsense
Old 01-11-2010, 04:28 PM

The idea is surely a good one.
First thoughts that come to me (and only my own point of view):

1) art and style coherent: different artists different styles, someone has to coordinate them. Simply adding models here and there could not be appreciated.
2) Gamers are quite a different audience than modelers: a model thought to be sold to a modeler is complex, while a gamer wants to be ready to play in few minutes, so the model has to be simple and with damn good textures.
3) Gamers are very hard to please about Rules, that must be written by an expert and MUST be tested a lot and a lot ...
4) modularity is a good way to offer a game for everyone
5) maybe the same model could be sold in two versions: easy and hard
6) attention to not be a copy of other games
7) a good story surely helps
8) till now no mention to share commissions, but an open game is a good way to stimulate more artists to sell stuff dedicated to the game

ULTIMATUM TO THE EARTH. Follow the story in progress.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:48 PM
Eternal Member

Well I can say role playing board games passed me by, so no idea how they work having never played dungeons of dragons or others. But I have read books by people that in fact used their games like this for their novels such as Raymond E Feist. with his riftwar saga and so on. So a good storyline is needed. Good names of main characthers is something inportant in a storyline so be an idea if someone doing the storyline has someone read the storyline who is a critic and be good to have someone in different languages to do the story in different languages as well. Not just do a microsoft translantion to many of the languages. Not trying to scare off on the idea just a few things that if we are gong doing this to think of the fact you would like it to be easy for people to play from as many countries as possible.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:57 PM
Design Admin

Not much time to answer now but commissions? None.... because I will be offering the game itself online for something trivial like 2 bucks or free. Models will need to be purchased from the shop so the designers will make their money based on the numbers of models they sell/design.

I might commission a core group of models say 5 or 6 that can be used to play the game at a demo level just to understand the basics. If I do this I will charge more but those profits will be mine because I will buy the rights to the model. No idea if I will go this route or not. I want the game to be expandable as new models are designed in the future.

If I go the route of a core group of models I may look into marketing it in stores/hobby shops to hit a new audience then directing here to expand their ship selections

There WILL be discussion on all points presented here
Old 01-12-2010, 03:41 PM

What I think that is important

These are the things I believe to be important:

1) Background. There are already games around this concept. I played some and the are a few good ones. Praector/Leviathan/Centurion/Inteerceptor for once, Classic Battletech toyed with the idea and several mini games have the strategic - tactic duality inserted in their games. I would try to find a universal concept that was new and fresh before I start creating images, or I'd create images until I found out a concept interesting and sound.

2) Mechanical adaptability. The system must allow easy translation from one part of the game to the next. And back. A good strategic game must have a good economic system. The drive to conquest must be some kind of economic profit that helps the war effort.

3) The number of tactical games. a) Space combat. Huge ships attacking and defending a stellar system. b) Orbital defense. Dropships fall and fighters and mecha(?) swoop around trying to protect or destroy the dropships. c) Ground Combat. Infantry, armor, fighters, bombers and mecha(?) fight to dominate the planet.

4) Bookkeeping. Must be easy and clean. Normally isn't.

5) Dice. D6 for simplicity and because it is the easiest to find? Or other dice?

6) Type of Universe. Pure science? Space Opera? Aether bound? Fantasy-Scifi? Near future?

7)Number of factions. How many. Eache faction will make the game more deep, but more work heavy.

8) Packaging. E-books? Each book a game? And the integration with the other games in each book?

These are my first questions.

How do you plan to coordinate efforts? And to put to stone ideas?

Kind regards,

Joaquim
Old 01-14-2010, 09:57 PM

Hi cgutzmer

Could you or Dragos post some pictures of the models you were talking about? It would help me get a sense of the visual scale of the game. The game you're describing in your original post could be interpreted in too many ways... it could be a version of "Risk", for example, or a even a trading card game. Is there a compelling reason to use models, other than "cool game pieces?"

In Warhammer-type games, for example, the models are very important because the way they interact with the game terrain affects the mechanics of combat. Is this along the lines of what you're thinking?

And the game board itself -- will it be modular? Will it have varying conditions (atmospheric turbulence, gravity wells, land obstructions)? Or will it be more like a chessboard?
Google Adsense