PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Sci-Fi Game Development > General game discussion

Old 01-12-2010, 11:56 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
Units of measure

We need to come up with basic units of measure, these will likely not be overly original as its pretty standard throughout sci fi...

Hyper - faster than light travel factor 1 = light speed, factor 2 double lightspeed etc
Sublight - slower than light travel factor 0 thru 9 (10 would be light speed) 0 is stationary only

Klicks per hour standard unit of measure in atmospheric and ground (vehicle)

Meter - standard measure of movement ground - troop and vehicle in combat phase this will likely be a grid based system for inside structures and free table top for outside structures.

Credits standard unit of cost

Shields/armor unit of defense ships or structures / vehicles or troops

Attack - value of damage dealt by weapon used - some pieces will have multiple options

XP level - bonuses gained through successful combat, per unit basis. Levels recruit, standard, seasoned, veteran.

going off the top of my head here and prolly missed lots of stuff.... want to keep it fairly simple though
Google Adsense
Old 01-17-2010, 07:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
I'd propose hex based tabletop for all phases - this way measurement will be in hexes which on different phases will represent different scales - from space distances to metric in buildings. One system throughout the game will be easy to learn and adopt and hexes allow for fast flowing action as everything is clear and there are no disputes if something is in range or not.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:27 AM

Hex advantages:
No measurement.

Hexes disadvantages:
Size of hexes. Big hexes less tactical choices. Small hexes smaller models on the table, harder to build with interesting details.
Movement will be done only in six directions, less flexibility.
Tactical solutions like terrain and buildings will have to be inserted in the hexes context, a thing that always gets done awkwardly, has hexes have six sides and squares are... squares (and almost all buildings are four sided)...

Non Hexes advantages:
Free movement.
Terrain.
Buildings where players wants them.
Unit sizes aren't dependent of hexes sizes

Non Hexes disadvantages:
Measurement (that we can deal with with several good solutions.)

Note: We are creating a game with levels of complexity that range from the easy (rules) to the difficult (three integrated systems). We must streamline it the best we can. So things that we can maintain easy, like model building, we should do it.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:59 AM

I understand the size of hex dilemma. The matter is - it does not stop us from deploying large pieces - they can occupy more than one hex. I think that good size for a hex is 5-6cm - this dimensions would define length of basic units - a tank 5-6cm long is still easy to make, even with added detalisation.

Free movement is not as good for a fast flowing game - hex cuts down disagreements, and allow for long term thinking - you can think several moves ahead and know exactly your opponent's possible choices - this way, instead of charging forward as fast as engines allow, you can make tactical decisions which will play important role later on
Old 01-17-2010, 09:04 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
I dont want people to know future possible choices.... seems more realistic to me.
Google Adsense
Old 01-17-2010, 09:15 AM

You can know no more than in chess - and hex is more complicated - what I mean is you can deliberately plan ahead, and your opponent can deliberately block your plans.

I long since forgave the "realistic" element - it's a game, and has it's rules to allow for fast flowing action. I had much more fun with tile based games than with realistic ones - they are easier to play, cut on players bickering and are fast - you can get from planetary assault to taking over the Capital City in a few hours instead a few days.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lehcyfer View Post
I understand the size of hex dilemma. The matter is - it does not stop us from deploying large pieces - they can occupy more than one hex. I think that good size for a hex is 5-6cm - this dimensions would define length of basic units - a tank 5-6cm long is still easy to make, even with added detalisation.
But that makes hex even more less organic. I played a lot of Leviathan games (Fasa RL system) and though I liked the universe, it was stupid to have two minis that were stacked together in one hex but thousands of km apart in other hexes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lehcyfer View Post
Free movement is not as good for a fast flowing game - hex cuts down disagreements, and allow for long term thinking - you can think several moves ahead and know exactly your opponent's possible choices - this way, instead of charging forward as fast as engines allow, you can make tactical decisions which will play important role later on
Never had much problems with that kind of disagreements. Long term thinking is as possible with hexes or without it. And hexes do permit meta-gaming, a very unnatural thing in reality, where officers don't have the universe laid down in hexes, but must make calculated guesses. Mind you, I have, play and enjoy hexes game systems, but more in strategic games and less in tactical ones. I play Silent Death, a hex based game in a Hex-free table and everybody that tried it says that it is by far better.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:27 AM

So I suppose that hex system would be good for levels down to strategic - for tactical and skirmish open table can be better - though I'd like to make some table tests before final decision - and in the end the pieces could be used in both setups - depending on players fancy.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:34 AM

I like hexes for the strategic part of the game. But I would make the strategic part a per player decision. That is: each player would make his decisions about committing and transferring and reinforce units in his empire and just then all players would see where battles would be fought. Make all the battles for that strategic turn and then start all over again.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:32 AM

I know that hexes are out - at least in cosmos - but check this out, guys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec4fYs2FtNo

Wow!

Yeah, there's not a bit of paper except for the hexes maybe - but wow anyway
Google Adsense