PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Sci-Fi Game Development > General game discussion

Old 01-17-2010, 06:34 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
Ronin, please stop referring to them as games - the GAME is Cosmos in Conflict - we are discussing phases of the game. We are not developing three different games but phases within the phase.

Also you miss the point of the core units. There will be one set of all ships for the core that will be layered for different colors/symbols to show sides. This set will have MANY layers to accommodate core ships for any number of players up to like 7 or so. I expect all races to have access to these CORE units. I also expect races to have access to expansion units that will be additional purchases. Expansion units will be slightly better than the core units to show old vs newer technologies. This frees us from having to have complete sets of ships for more than one race and allows people to play expansion races without the need to purchase complete ship sets.

Lex - thats way too many BIG ships, I would prefer to keep the numbers a bit lower than that. I would like to see ships a bit more all purpose so as to keep the numbers down. Too many ships is going to lead to much harder game balance. I suppose it all depends though. Having more options will lead to more diverse choices but I want to make sure not to force people in making specific choices like requireing each of the big ships.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
So.

Let's get some points clear.

One. You want one game, with three phases and all phases will be played in a row? One evening game with all three phases played?

You want core units, like soldiers, tanks, fighter, dropships, capital ships all equal and players will choose colors and play? So why make two races for the core rulebook? Why not two human factions?

In my opinion, you'll have a poor game, if you try to make a tactical game played as a strategic one. I can give you several examples of "tactical" games to be played in 1/2 hour and you can see by yourself.

On point One. My idea is:

Cosmos in Conflict - Strategic Game Core Book (12-15 pages free book)
Cosmos in Conflict - Deep Space Game
Cosmos in Conflict - Orbital Defense
Cosmos in Conflict - Ground Assault

These books would focus on two species. Each book as a part of the whole but a distinct game in itself.

After that we would release books about the other species and other equipment with models coming out with it.

On Point Two: I agree, but adding a bit of effort we could make the core models for the two first races and we would have a clean line.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:27 PM
Design Admin

the two are exactly the same. Its just a matter of semantics. The three games all work together as phases do they not? each phase can be played standalone for a quick game but its all three together that make the entire game.

I want a human and alien race because at the core most people like to have us vs them, not an us vs us.

I dont see how having it as phases makes it a poor game but calling each phase a game makes it good. Its still the same thing end to end regardless of what you call it.

I want the result of one phase to impact how the next phase plays out. Thats the point of planing the right balance from the start.
Thoughts?
Old 01-17-2010, 07:47 PM

Let's see if I can give you a proper image.

You have a line of products like clothing.

You can offer a complete suit.
But you have the shoes in the shoe section. People might only want to buy shoes.
You have the trousers in the trouser section.
You have the shirts in the shirt section.
Etc.

And you have a mannequin with a complete suit everywhere.
But you don't say to people that they can only enter if they are going to buy a complete suit. You tell people that they can buy only the shoes, but they would have a better experience with the complete suit.

I don't know if I made sense...

Let's try this:

You have the battle tech Universe. Very dense and not what we are looking for, but just for you to understand me.

You can play:
Battletech - game of armored combat in the future.
Aerotech - game of space fighters in the future. (You can link it with battle tech.)
Battlespace - space ships and planet assault. (You can link it with battle tech.)
Battleforce - Squadrons of mechs in a semi-strategic game. Each combat could be fought as one battletech game. (Again linked)
Sucession Wars - Overall strategic game that could be played tactically with each of the other games.

So in our case we call it a game so that the players can enter our system from several ways and points. Why make things smaller, when we can make it big layer by layer?
Old 01-17-2010, 08:13 PM
Design Admin

I do understand what you are saying , we want them to play as much or little as they want. but shouldnt they also be able to play end to end and have it make sense. Maybe I aim to high for my first game idea.....

If we are going to make these standalone games we are gonna have to make each one more in depth... I really do want to make something unique! somehow....
Google Adsense
Old 01-17-2010, 10:50 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 135.67 MB
Here are some Sketchup 3D "sketches" of four classes of ships in paper model ready form. They have some limited mix and match ability once parts are built.

Of course, these will look better once skinned. These follow the same design theory as my Space Ship Minis for sale here on Ecardmodels.com but they are unique and class.

-The Haggard

Old 01-18-2010, 06:35 AM

I like it, Thehaggard. I think they have the same looks, so it will work well on a race. I would call it, Cruiser, Destroyer, Freighter and Dropship in my vision of the game though. Do you think that these ships have the "looks" of being human ships?
Old 01-18-2010, 07:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 70.75 MB
Send a message via MSN to Lex
Back to the units discussion, I'm not saying that all units will be needed in one battle, an ambush might simply require three ships against a convoy. The point of having all these variation here is to give as much differing scenarios as possible, and if people like to play seriously big, then they will have the option to do so.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:59 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackronin View Post
I like it, Thehaggard. I think they have the same looks, so it will work well on a race. I would call it, Cruiser, Destroyer, Freighter and Dropship in my vision of the game though. Do you think that these ships have the "looks" of being human ships?
At this point they are just sketches I am doing at cgutzmer's request.
I see them as the basis for many "factions" - the PDF would be layered with various colors and markings for faction identification.

I may rework the module ships for sale on the store side of Ecardmodels and make them layered as well, leaving the first version of the model online for those who just want the models for other reasons.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:01 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgutzmer View Post
There will be one set of all ships for the core that will be layered for different colors/symbols to show sides. This set will have MANY layers to accommodate core ships for any number of players up to like 7 or so. I expect all races to have access to these CORE units.
And here is the design philosophy for the above sketches.

-M
Google Adsense