PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Sci-Fi Game Development > General game discussion

Old 01-17-2010, 08:24 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
Making a universe...l

I just read one of ronin's posts.... it struck a cord with me.

he said we are making a universe and making entry points into this universe. I think in my limited knowledge of the different games out there I am being a bit too narrow minded. I WAS looking at this like a standalone game that would be expandable.

If we look at this like we are making a whole universe that contains different games (that I looked at as phases) it could add HUGE amounts of variations, expansions, scenarios etc etc etc.

Kinda gives me goosebumps to look at it that way. Its something HUGE. But we need to start small. I think we should focus on the phases as games. If possible I would LOVE to link the games in some way but it might be more than we (I) can handle. it gives me a whole new spin on what we are doing.

REALLY it does. Heck I could see Phase one (deep space) being played out quite a lot taking over several worlds from a strategic standpoint etc etc based on scenario, victory requirements and all.

How do you guys feel about focusing on one part of the universe first and we make a GREAT product - just deep space combat for now. I think that focus could really help us. I was trying to do too many things at once.
Thoughts?
Chris
p.s. without you guys helping me see these things I would be nowhere - fast so dont take my disagreement as not listening - I am always listening and willing to change.
Google Adsense
Old 01-17-2010, 08:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Conflict In Cosmos - Deep Space Combats

We can start focusing in one of the games.
I will make a mock up of my idea of simple rules and I'll make 4 ships with bases and cards that everybody can download and build and try a small skirmish. I'll have it ready in a day or two.

Several points that I still think that are important, so that we can make other games, models, novels, graphic novels, etc is a universal concept.
A good one. That we can bind in a book with the Strategic (Operational) rules and give away at Ecardmodels and everywhere so that people can come look for the game and watch as we make the other two, the models and the race supplements.

If we work hard:
We need models, art, backstory and playtesters we could edit the first game very fast.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:53 PM
Design Admin

Isnt what we have been doing the basis for a universal concept? Also we still have Wyvern working on the backstory

I think we are shifting focus here quite a bit. Which is fine and good Can we get an outline of your proposed rules (I assume it will be similar to what you have in your other thread for the rules?) before you go making a full game with models and all

this will also allow us to make more models for each game for enhanced stratgey. To make things work better as a campaign if each game is well done. To work as a campaign type we can simply and limit unit choices maybe who knows right now.

If a universal concept is different than that can you explain it more? What do strategic(operational rules) mean? Is that where all games will operate in basically the same manner so that if yo can play one, learning another does not have a big learning curve? If so, thats a definite must!!!

Isnt it getting kinda late for you? like 2 in the morning? Get some rest!
Chris
Old 01-17-2010, 09:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Yes its late and tomorrow I have classes to give, so this will be my last post and tomorrow we'll go on.

1) I have the game already written down (I've done it today while discussing here). I only need to make 4 simple 2D models and cards just for people to try it out. If it doesn't work I can alter/transform dish it out and start again.

2) It's very easy to learn and all three games will have (if it works) the same basic rules or guidelines with different rules for being different ways to combat. Let's say that big ships will be a game of slow dance, fighters, gunboats and dropships will be a game of fast and deadly maneuver and the ground combat will be a game of armor and cover. All with the same philosophy but different dynamics.

3) We can add models with a small sheet of special rules and fluff with it. That would be something great.

4) The strategic rules are the rules that join the three games in one big Operational campaign. Imagine a group of players playing a race each and playing for several months, all the Saturdays the battles that they joined during the Strategic (Operational) game. During the turn 1 of the Operational game they moved their fleets. Player A seized a node point that protects his Homeplanet from assault coming from several Hyperstreams. Player 2 launched an assault fleet against a colony belonging to Player C that was seeing it coming and defended it with two cruisers and 1 entire ground unit. Now during the weekend, all this movements that found two players fleets in the same place will lead to battles. Tactical. Using our three games along the way.

That's it.

See you tomorrow.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:57 PM
Design Admin

interesting! thanks - it makes sense
Google Adsense