PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Help Desk > Hardware

Old 01-25-2010, 08:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 125.24 MB
Thumbs up Another vote for continuous ink system (CISS)

I bought the system from cisinks.com late last fall and have been waiting for my current Epson inks to run out. Well, today the yellow ran out and the printer refused to print. So after dinner I got out the box and some tools and went to work. I have to admit there were a couple of hairy moments when the cartridge carriage zipped left and right and the long ink tubes got in the way. The carriage seemed to jam very briefly and there was a very unnerving screeching sound. BUT, I persevered and when everything was in position the results were the best I have ever seen from this printer. In fact, printing on photo paper in best photo mode produces nothing less than premium photo results. Printing a model on card stock was also pretty much perfection. Absolutely the best I've seen from this printer and WAY better than I ever saw with the Epson Claria inks. In fact, I was never really happy with the colors or the clarity of the prints with the Claria ink - a real misnomer, if you ask me. So here are some pictures.

I highly recommend trying one of these systems if your printer will take one. The one I bought was cheap and I see it's now marked down to only $49.99! I had been paying over $100 to buy six new Epson ink cartridges. When I get my income tax refund I'll buy another set of bottles of ink and I should be set for at least a couple of years of printing. Color me happy!! :D
Attached Thumbnails
Another vote for continuous ink system (CISS)-s1052930.jpg   Another vote for continuous ink system (CISS)-s1052929.jpg   Another vote for continuous ink system (CISS)-s1052928.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 01-25-2010, 09:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
One thing I have liked about the Epson inks is their water resistance. Any experience yet on the smudge front?
Old 01-25-2010, 10:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
CISS rocks - can't see me ever going back to cartridge slavery...
Old 01-25-2010, 10:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
You might want to verify the proper setup for the ink tubes but it works great if you place them like I did - 2 years and still going strong :D
Word of advice - place the ink tanks on the same surface as the printer so they are slightly below the printheads or you might risk ink overflowing into the printer chassis - happened to my friend....
And download SSC Service Utility - this will let you reset the Protection Counter and avoid error message "some components are at end of the life cycle..."
Attached Thumbnails
Another vote for continuous ink system (CISS)-img_0233-1.jpg  
Old 01-26-2010, 08:59 AM

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to move the ink tanks to the right side of the printer and re-route the tubes. These ink cartridges show up as Epson genuine in the Epson status monitor.
Google Adsense
Old 01-26-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreMir View Post
You might want to verify the proper setup for the ink tubes but it works great if you place them like I did - 2 years and still going strong :D
Word of advice - place the ink tanks on the same surface as the printer so they are slightly below the printheads or you might risk ink overflowing into the printer chassis - happened to my friend....
And download SSC Service Utility - this will let you reset the Protection Counter and avoid error message "some components are at end of the life cycle..."
Unfortunately, it looks like the SSC Service Utility hasn't been updated since 2008 and my Epson Stylus Photo R1400 isn't supported. I noticed on the web site there were a couple of requests for the R1400 to be included, but no response. Considering the program is kind of "invasive", I don't think it would be a good idea to try to fool the program by using a different model with the program.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.26 MB
Nice one Barx2. And you included a link as well. I had never heard of this but have 3 printers at home with two of them sitting idle. Hmm! looks like I might be fitting the CISS system to at least one of them. Thanks a lot for sharing this information mate.

Cheers
Jim
Old 05-21-2010, 04:53 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
did that come with a set of inks up front? I cant quite tell from the description....
Thanks!
Chris

*edit* i just missed the obvious - prefilled with 110 ml of ink each color! WOW that is a deal, might pick one up myself

Last edited by cgutzmer; 05-21-2010 at 05:05 AM.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.47 MB
got one a while back for my Epson R300 works like a dream as was only £18 including ink, the refill bottles are pretty cheap too, can highly recommend them
Old 05-21-2010, 05:41 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
I am convinced and tired of buying ink - I'm in