PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Help Desk > Hardware

Old 03-31-2012, 01:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Paper models and TSA

Hi, I am an airline pilot and an active paper modeler. I was thinking it would be really cool to be able to build on the road. The only problem is, I don't know if security (TSA) will let an exacto knife through? I know that small scissors are ok but I think an exacto knife would be maybe too hard to get through. Any one have any ideas on what alternative building tools I could use to get through security? I know this is an odd question, but my layovers are sometimes 20 hours or more and I am dying to build!
Google Adsense
Old 03-31-2012, 02:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Have you tried to use a rotary cutter yet?

I use it and a quilting plastic ruler to guide it for stright cuts.

Scissors are used for arcs and circles.

Do need a knife for inside cuts-look for the breakaway disposable ones at your destination. Grocery stores usually have them.

Mike
Old 03-31-2012, 02:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Dear Idoitall:
Could you put the modeling kit in a suitcase and use it as checked baggage, instead of a carryon? Granted you then could not build models in the air in the cockpit (sorry very bad joke could not resist) but you would have the modeling stuff at the layover? also do you layover at the same airports could you just have small kits with Knives left at the hotels? The hobby store in Buffalo has Blade and holder with their ad on it for $2.00.
Some Ideas,
MILES
Old 03-31-2012, 03:31 PM

Good ideas guys. I'll look into that rotary cutter. I do not check my luggage because I am not allowed to. I pan on making small models and just using a plastic box to carry them around in.

Also I just asked the lady at the front desk if I could leave a knife at the hotel with them, and she said yes. Problem is however that I stay at about 20 different hotels in any given month. Thanks guys!
Old 03-31-2012, 04:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Dear Idoitall:
Carry the exacto holder without blade with the kit and just have one or two blades at the hotels.
Where there is a will there is a way,
MILES
Google Adsense
Old 03-31-2012, 09:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 210.47 MB
If they ask you I'll deny I told you this . . . . .

Get one of the Exacto handles that are made out of plastic. Remove the blade and place it on the blade section of your disposable razor it should not show up on the x-ray. Second approach order scalpels from EBay you want the #11 with a handle they often sell 100 blades with a handle for $10 including shipping. The blades are wrapped in foil paper and several sandwiched together may get through and the handle is an odd shape so that will get through.

I have not tried the above (wink wink) but they may get by the TSA.

I have packed a travel modeling kit in my check in baggage but every time I have the kit was inspected and things were messed up and or missing. Why anyone would have an issue with my glue and gluing syringe beats me.

Lastly you can use one of the "anything that fits will ship" boxes from the post office and mail it to your next hotel to your attention. Notify the desk that you are sending it and they will hold it for you.Take one with you pack your tools in it and just drop it in a mail box when you return.

Lastly if you repetitively stay at the same hotel on your turn around then check and see if they will rent you a deposit box most will. Then just keep you travel kit there.

Jim Nunn
Old 04-01-2012, 12:28 AM

Justtalkedto a fellow modeling pilot. Sounds like if I put the blade with my disposable razor it will get through. So, good new problem solved.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:50 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to TLHarrell
Grind a blade down so it's only got about 1/16" cutting area? Like take a #11 blade and take off everything but the tip.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
I actually got a model built during a red-eye flight from SFO to ATL. Captain's son was on board so I built a 737 for him and had it ready when we landed. By the way, it was the Captain's leg to fly. We where cleared direct to ATL as soon as we got to altitude so not a lot of need to navigate or communicate, mostly just needed to stay awake.

Anyway, short blunt nosed scissors are clearly for travel in carry on luggage. Just don't carry too large a bottle of glue.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Forget the #11 Exacto route. There is a hobby knife available that uses a blade that is only about an eighth of an inch wide, it has a nice chisel tip, and will nestle down among the disposable razor blades with barely a noticible blip. This is why I absolutely refuse to fly any more....when the TSA goons started confiscating granny's knitting needles (worried she might knit an Afgani on the flight, maybe?) I gave it up in absolute disgust. If I can't get there by car, I don't go.