PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Help Desk > Hardware

Old 05-02-2012, 06:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Question printer help...

I'm currently using an HP Deskjet D2360, but it's damaged and not suitable for printing anymore(it just brutally spools the paper in, which crumbles the paper and cause a jam). Once, I visit an internet cafe and noticed their printer, I think it's an Epson, with the inks outside of the printer... Was that kind of printer reliable?
Old 05-02-2012, 08:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 130.59 MB
Without seeing the printer it's hard to say, but from what I've read on this site, there are a lot of modelers that prefer Epson printers.

As for the ink supply being outside the printer, that's called a continuous ink supply system. A quick search of the site I found this article, which talks about the Epson CIS System.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 528.19 MB
Well I've been through about 2 cases of regular paper and over 2000 sheets of coverstock (67lb) paper on my HP cp1518n color laser printer. No problems yet. Not sure the cost of printing though. The color cartridges are about $60 each, (you need 4 of them) and I go through about 4 a year, printing about 500 sheets a month I'm guessing with all the kids homework/projects. Best part of the laser printer is that the ink won't dry up on you. Also the printer is networked, so all the computers in the house get to it. The printer is under $300.

edit: thats a total of 4 cartridges a year ($240 worth of cartridges) not 4 sets of cartridges. Each color runs out independently, and I replace the cartridges when they call for it.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 55.12 MB
Nik, one advantage to many Epson printers is the straight through paper path. HP typically uses a 'reverse loop' path that seems to (these days, anyway, what with their cheap roller mechanisms) wear quickly and start jamming (as you've experienced.) I have an Epson Stylus 1400 inkjet printer that replaced my last HP all-in-one printer (look at my thread that shows my path to enlightenment (and source for ink supplies!): Just threw my HP All-in-One into the backyard

I actually purchased a CIS system but then also, upon Zathros advice, purchased a refillable cartridge system that I have been using (the CIS awaits its day in the sun...) since it was easier to implement. I did have an issue with my 1400 when my wife attempted to service it but did so without reading the instructions and caused the print matrix to become 'plugged', for lack of a better word. Epson sent me a replacement within a few days (since it was still under warranty) and although I was almost able to repair the ailing printer, it still did not perform up to par, so I still have just the one. As a wide format printer (up to 13" wide paper), I have found it very useful for printing model designs as I need.

So, to recap, I recommend Epson as good quality, reliable printers, of reasonable price and availability and much less headache (and software footprint, too!) than HP. New HP just is not the same as 'old' HP, and by old, I mean ten or more years ago (at work, I have an old HP laser printer that still runs great - a LaserJet P5 - but is due to be replaced because our supply folks have trouble getting cartridges for it now.)

Hope this helps!
Nobi Junkers SRF BETA build - BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale
Old 05-03-2012, 01:27 AM

thank you guys!
Old 05-03-2012, 05:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 8.19 MB
Hi,
If you're interested in setting up a CISS based printer, there are a couple of vendors that sell Epson and Canon printers that come bundled with a CISS kit, complete with warranty. Check out Ink All-You-Can Continuous Ink System

Or if budget is not an issue, there's also an EPSON printer that already comes with its own ink bottle system (L100). Kinda pricey though.

Eric
Old 06-20-2012, 07:21 AM

thanks Eric! But a trip to SM North Edsa, uhm at the Annex, we found an Epson L200 three-in-one... Ink bottles @ Php200.00 per bottle, with approx. 4000 pages per tank. Good deal, and useful for ALL OF US. c:
Old 06-20-2012, 08:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 8.19 MB
Great! Lemme know how it works out for you.
I have my eyes set on the L200 as well.

But now, I'm still waiting for my HP C3190 to die before my wife gives me the green light to get another printer. :(

RE: Epson Ink @200php / bottle
So that would mean 1000php for C, Y, M and B! Not baaaad!
My C3190 uses HP93 and HP92, each costing 700-800php. And each cart only has a measly 5ml of ink.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 248.80 MB
I have a Epson Workforce 1100 wide format printer (up to 12"X44")...straight thru feed (very heavy card no problem) and also bought refillable carts. The cart set cost half what factory ones do and using them over a year for about $35!! I love this thing......Rich
Old 06-21-2012, 06:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 70.75 MB
Send a message via MSN to Lex
I think in the current age Epson is the best option for a paper modeler... for example water-resistant inkjet, what else is there to ask
Google Adsense