PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Help Desk > Hardware

Old 01-16-2009, 01:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
What Printer?

Hi All,

I have just recently got interested in paper modelling and need to invest in a colour printer. My preference would be for a laser printer but I can't find any mention of them here. Has anyone got one or used one and can you recommend ones to look at - or not!

I'm fond of HP models (had two mono lasers) but, alas, fell foul of Epson's clogging jets on two machines so I'm afraid they're not on my list. I have some Canon gear, too, but not had a printer.

Most folks here seem to use inkjets so that's a possibility but I think running costs will be less with a laser.

Would much appreciate comments.

Ian
Google Adsense
Old 01-16-2009, 04:44 PM

I think you will find laser printers are out in the field where paper modeling is concerned, The 'ink' will peel away from the paper. Ink however gets absorbed into the medium, thereby making it a better proposition.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
I think you will find laser printers are out in the field where paper modeling is concerned, The 'ink' will peel away from the paper. Ink however gets absorbed into the medium, thereby making it a better proposition.
Oh... That's disappointing as I was also hoping to use the printer for eBooks and the like, too.

Well, if that's the case, guess I should be looking at inkjets . I see one of the Canon multi-function doobires is well-regarded but I'd rather have a dedicated printer - less to go wrong .

Ian
Old 01-16-2009, 05:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
Kaz is correct. The toner from laser printers tends to flake off the sheet when scoring and folding unless you first seal the sheet with a clear matte spray. This is not a problem with inkjet printers. Unless you have free access to a color laser at work or some place else I would go with an inkjet printer.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Lately I've been using an HP 9650. It has given good service, but recently has developed a problem trying to print on tabloid paper (11 by 17 inch)....for some reason, even though all the print settings seem to be correctly set, it gives an error box stating improper size paper is loaded in the printer. I"m presently waiting for delivery of an HP 9800 purchased from ebay as a dealer overstock item. Print costs are not too excessive using generic cartridges. Before that, I used a series of Epsons that, other than the clogging jet thing, performed just great.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
I think inkjets are the way to go. However they are expensive to run if you keep buying new cartridges. A couple of options to reduce costs are:

- refill your own cartridges - this rules out HP and Lexmark 'cos the cartridges are difficult to refill. I use a Canon ip5300 - still on it's original cartridges. Some manufacturers use chips on the cartridges - you may need a resetter to be able to refill.

- if you do lots of ink jet printing then the external ink supply systems seem to be a good way to reduce costs.

Personally I'd go for an ink jet with a separate printhead and straight through paper path. I'd also avoid Epson like the plague - they claim they've fixed the blocking issues but people still seem to have problems with them.

It's also good practice to seal your ink jet printed pages with Acrylic spray (Krylon seems to be a good brand).

Regards,

Charlie

Last edited by CharlieC; 01-16-2009 at 05:27 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 125.24 MB
I'm very happy with Epson Photo Stylus 1400 large format printer. It's been working great - no print head clogs - yet - but I'm not very happy with the ink. I'm using the Epson Claria ink that they sell for this model and even though I always spray my sheets with Krylon clear acrylic, the ink will fade or discolor if I get any moisture on it! I've never had that happen with any other inkjet. The color is usually sealed very well with the Krylon. I'm thinking of switching to the external ink tanks and generic ink. Can't be any worse than the ink I'm using now.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:07 AM

I have a cheap Canon Pixma. I mostly use heavy card (200gsm/110lb). It works great!
Old 01-17-2009, 08:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
I use Epson Stylus Photo R300 with continuous ink system.
I do not seal my printouts and so far did not have any problems with the models.
Ink is dirt cheap and my main concern during printing is how much cardstock I'm using
Best brand I've tried so far is Canon Pixma matte photo paper - 45lb (170g/m2)
Old 01-17-2009, 09:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 125.24 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreMir View Post
I use Epson Stylus Photo R300 with continuous ink system. I do not seal my printouts and so far did not have any problems with the models. Ink is dirt cheap and my main concern during printing is how much cardstock I'm using
Best brand I've tried so far is Canon Pixma matte photo paper - 45lb (170g/m2)
My main concern with the continuous ink system is that it may cause the heads to clog up. Do you think it's any more likely to cause this than ink from the printer manufacturer?
Google Adsense