Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Help Desk > Hardware

Old 03-13-2015, 05:49 PM
Anime Moderator

Total Downloaded: 23.29 MB
Thumbs up

That's a great link! Thanks!
Old 03-13-2015, 05:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.40 MB
go about 5 minutes into this video for making those custom inside cutout lines using the bezier and line segment tools in the Scan N Cut program
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhGWUrVF6M0
Old 03-13-2015, 06:19 PM

This next video brings up an intriguing possibility of use. What she is doing is only of interest in terms of her temporarily taping a transparent overlay onto the material she is using. This method could be utilized to cut pieces out of other types of non printed materials. For instance if you wanted to cut model parts out of gift wrap metallic paper. You would first scan and cut the printed model then next take that part you wanted made from metal paper and put it under a clear transparent sheet (the overlay sheet will keep the part held in position while you scan. Scan to get the cut lines, remove the part pattern and the overlay and cut out its metallic duplicate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgyn-VtwDIQ

One way around the issue of having no fold lines on a part that has no printed details on it is where they would be located add tiny cut line segments at the start and end of the fold line. That is very helpful for two reasons, If gives you a guide to put a ruler on but it also helps the fold start and end in the exact place needed. You create a single line segment from start to stop along the fold line then erase out most of that line leaving only the tiny cuts at the start and ending of the fold line. Of course you could also just place your newly cut metallic part directly on top of an uncut copy of the printed pattern and pick up the fold lines from that.

Looks like a fun machine that can be put to uses you won't see exact tutorials for. So keep an open mind when watching tutorials because there are some interesting possibilities of techniques that could be derived from them.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 46.23 MB
Not sure if this is comparable to the Brother, but Michael's in Canada is selling the "Cricut Explore Air Bundle" for $270.00. I know absolutely zero about it, but for those looking for a paper cutting system, another alternative? Price was/is effective 19 March 2015.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:54 PM

The Brother has a distinct advantage over the Cricut in that it has a built in scanner. That means you can put your model on the cutting mat and it will find the outlines of the pieces without having to go through a lot of additional processing. The machine knows exactly where your pieces are located so there are no extra steps involved in lining up the cuts.

Hands down the ScanNCut wins out over the Cricut for the purpose of cutting around pre-printed paper models. It is worth saving up the extra money for it. It might not be a perfect machine but for the pre-printed paper model hobby use it has some real advantages over the other craft cutters in the price range of under $400.00. It think it comes down to do you want to save a few hundred bucks or is the cost savings worth fussing with lots of extra time when you want to cut something new?
Google Adsense
Old 03-22-2016, 10:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 162.75 MB
So it has been just over a year since you purchased the ScanNCut. Any new information on servicing, usage, problems, tips n tricks you've learned, etc? I myself am considering purchasing a cutter.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Any chance of a follow up report now that it has been a year?
Old 03-06-2017, 09:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 79.89 MB
Walmart has the Brother Scan and Cut CM-250 on sale for $189. Here's the link.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Brother-C...ype=10&veh=aff
I just ordered one. I've found I can only get accurate cuts with scissors or knife if I wear a jeweler's magnifying visor. My wife keeps asking me if I'm trying to "Shrink the Kids". Hopefully this will reduce the amount of manual cutting to a more enjoyable amount. This thread was great for convincing this 'old' newbie to make the purchase.
Randy
Old 05-20-2018, 03:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
So, another year later, I've just come across this thread and am wondering if anyone has any more info they'd like to add about this machine.

I've been researching cutting machines and an opportunity has come up to get a good deal on one of these, a much newer model, so I'm wondering how people have found them to perform after long term usage.

How thick can they cut? How are they with small parts, small circles, etc? How long do the blades last before they need to be replaced? Any other advice you can give to someone thinking seriously about purchasing one of these?

Currently Building: Angraf M1070/M1000
Old 05-21-2018, 11:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 166.39 MB
I had a Scan N Cut for almost two years now and have cut some models out successfully using the scan to cut feature of the machine. The result is hit and miss. The scan will only be as good as the print it's trying to read. The best results come from high contrast prints. As of late I've scanned some of Dave's "Koolwheelz" into Brother's Canvas Workspace and created a "cut file". The trick will be in matching it to the print when cutting.
Detail work chews the blades up pretty quick. I've had the best luck with using a sticky mat to hold the paper in place. It will cut 110 lb card stock with no problem. I've not tried thicker stock at this time.
The machine has potential, but it is not the panacea some paper modelers may be looking for.
Google Adsense