PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Help Desk > Hardware

Old 05-21-2018, 11:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
Thanks for the reply.

I'm aware that it's not going to to completely eliminate manual cutting, and like some have said, that's a part of the hobby and I enjoy it to some extent but it would be nice to have something that will take some of the work off my hands, giving me more time to spend actually building stuff.

I decided the offer was too good to pass up so I've ordered the CM700, at less than half price. the things this machine can do will more than make up for the purchase price, even if it's not perfect for modeling. I'm also looking forward to being able to create adhesive vinyl decals etc, not to mention the crafting possibilities for my kids.

I'm assuming the technology has improved somewhat since the original post in this thread, so after it arrives, I may post my own review based on my initial experiments with this machine.

Currently Building: Angraf M1070/M1000
Old 06-15-2018, 12:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.70 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffro View Post
Thanks for the reply.

I decided the offer was too good to pass up so I've ordered the CM700, at less than half price. the things this machine can do will more than make up for the purchase price, even if it's not perfect for modeling. I'm also looking forward to being able to create adhesive vinyl decals etc, not to mention the crafting possibilities for my kids.

I'm assuming the technology has improved somewhat since the original post in this thread, so after it arrives, I may post my own review based on my initial experiments with this machine.
Please do! I’m also experimenting with scan/print/cut/score combos, and looking to learn what works best and what will eventually attract a community of users.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.34 GB
This method may well be improved when low power laser cutters become commercial reality for the home enthusiast in a number of recreational pursuits.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 591.28 MB
By the sounds of it it will give a couple of extra years of building models
Old 03-01-2020, 03:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via ICQ to ArmandoBus Send a message via AIM to ArmandoBus Send a message via Yahoo to ArmandoBus Send a message via Skype™ to ArmandoBus
@TheWebdude are you happy with your brother scan n cut? Would you recommend it?
Sorry for being off topic.

I'm in the market for a vinyl cutter and I sure could use some help. Where did you get started? Because there are a number to choose from. At the moment I don't want to shell out a lot of money so I was looking at desktop vinyl cutters. I've got tired of all the hype reviews that were on the net. And actually managed to find one that seems legit. On this page I've found a review that was critical. It actually showed the flaws of each machines. What do you think which one would be better.

Any help is appreciated
Google Adsense
Old 03-01-2020, 08:52 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmandoBus View Post
@TheWebdude are you happy with your brother scan n cut? Would you recommend it?
Sorry for being off topic.

I'm in the market for a vinyl cutter and I sure could use some help. Where did you get started? Because there are a number to choose from. At the moment I don't want to shell out a lot of money so I was looking at desktop vinyl cutters. I've got tired of all the hype reviews that were on the net. And actually managed to find one that seems legit. On this page I've found a review that was critical. It actually showed the flaws of each machines. What do you think which one would be better.

Any help is appreciated
Unfortunately Rick has passed a few years ago, and so won't be able to respond to your questions, there are other members who have this and similar units, so they might be able to respond

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 03-01-2020, 09:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
[remembering webdude!]

Its funny, just the other day, I was thinking about these cutters and all the discussions we have had here.
And whether anyone really benefitted from using one of these machines.
Most of the discussions haven't received any follow-ups.

I still see a disadvantage with using these for anything other than cutting solid colour papers (into predesigned shapes).
Obviously, if you need one hundred 2.25" discs for that Tank you are building, this machine could come in very handy (saving your knuckles and knife blades!).

But if you want to cut a printed model sheet you'll need to spend the time...a lot of time...
creating a vector plot for the machine to follow.
This involves having and knowing how to use a vector based artwork program.

Then, of course, theres the issue of registration and accurate cutting.
With a printed sheet, you have one chance to cut it...only one.
If its not a self-printed sheet from a digital kit and you mess it up, then what do you do?
At least with a digital kit, you can print a replacement page!

Obviously you could pre-scan your preprinted model just in case,
but lets face it, the scan/print will not match colours and may even be out of scale.

You'd do best to pre-scan a model...print the entire model...and if reprints are needed, you can match the colours and scale.
But then this goes against the copyrights and permissions of the publisher who insist you don't copy their books.
Unfortunately there are people who will scan a model, print and build the scan, and resell the original model. Tut Tut thats piracy!

Panzerlite's post, at #70, is a very informative one!

A while back there was one member here who set about creating vector templates for various digital models.
This turned out to be a lot more work than it was worth, and I don't blame him for giving up.
I've been approached to give basic vector patterns of the models I have created, but I have refused.
(mainly because I don't want to distribute blank uncoloured versions of my retail kits,
making it easier for someone to pirate my models)

Has anyone found a simpler way to cut a preprinted kit?
Has anyone found a way to use one of these cutters in that way and justify the costs?

A scan and cut machine sounds like the best option...but I wonder just how accurately it can scan and cut a preprinted model.
Once again, it only takes one small deviation to ruin a part, and maybe ruin an entire sheet from a kit.

Heres my thinking...if you are designing your own projects...
if you have other software and some experience...
if you are already creating vector patterns...
and you need to produce a lot of repetitive parts...
then a Cutter can help you produce solid colour (or uncoloured) cutout parts for your builds.
If you can nail down the registration issues, you could even cut out your own full colour printed parts.

Otherwise, I think this is all a LOT of work and expense, just to save a few knife blades.
And, have you considered the supplies cost for a machine Cutter?

And you're still stuck when it comes to Formers and anything thats thicker than basic cardstock.
So a Cutter can't help you cut all those annoying Former parts!

I see these machines on sale all the time at the local Craft store...please give me a reason to go buy one?!
Old 03-01-2020, 09:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
I just wanted to follow up with one more thing...
referencing the link in Armandobus' post.
http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/r...ricut-maker%2F

Its a detailed review and comparison of the Cricut and Brother ScanCut machines.
It doesn't tell a paper modeler everything he needs to know, but its very helpful.

This quote is especially informative (about the scan and cut machine):
Quote:
Plus the scanning option isn’t that good. If you are doing monochrome scanning, you are in luck.
It does a far better job in that department. If you are scanning full-color, things get difficult fast.
If the scan isn’t 100% successful, you need to increase the number of colors.
Or reposition the scanned object. This will lead to wasted materials.
Many crafters complained that the scans are inconsistent which will lead to a lot of trial and error and wasted time.
Not good for preprinted model books!
Old 03-01-2020, 11:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 3.29 GB
removed: new link in next message

Willem E.
(AKA Ponytail)
Old 03-01-2020, 11:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 3.29 GB
On the twitter from Sunny78 he shows a cutter, the Brother SDX1200.

TWITTERPAGE:

https://twitter.com/sunny_781112

Looks from there a replacement for the chinese 40W lasercutters. Not only does it printed pages with a scanner, but also till 3 mm cardboard...

Who knows more?

Willem E.
(AKA Ponytail)
Google Adsense