PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Help Desk > Hardware

Old 05-30-2016, 03:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 162.75 MB
Well after almost a week of playing around with the Brother ScanNCut 2 here are my conclusions...
1. The 300 DPI scanner is isnt sensitive enough to properly scan even at a slower scan speed.
2. It doesn't pick out light colors at all. I tried several different models which had varying darkness of patterns. (Ninjatoe's Viper mk II, Axiom ship, a ufo and a tank)
3. The best results only come from scanning to a file then editing that file in paint or Gimp darkening the borders to be cut.
4. the cutting is inconsistent across the pattern, some parts are completely cut out others are only scored in some places. Some of the areas actually get torn by the blade during the cut.
5. The standard mat which is the recommended mat for paper is actually a little to adhesive for standard 20 and 24 lb papers. Thicker 65 - 110# paper you still have to be very gentle removing the patterns as they can tear or seperate layers during the removal.

I was very disappointed based on all the videos I watched and reviews prior to purchasing. I am going to be returning it and resuming using my binoc reader glasses to be able to cut out the patterns with my hobby knife and deal with the hand cramps and twitches until I can find something better within my budget.

Last edited by Jadriancz; 05-30-2016 at 03:53 PM.
Old 05-30-2016, 04:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Okay now I feel bad for saying anything negative!
I know a lot of people were looking for more positive results here.

Thats too bad that it didn't work for you.
Those sticky cutting mats are indeed an issue for paper cutting.
The inconsistent cutting depth is a sign of a low quality machine in my opinion.
Maintaining preset plotter/cutter pressure is an important element of a good machine.
I know this from working in the Sign industry.

is the cutting mat soft? cushiony?
Old 05-30-2016, 04:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 162.75 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
Okay now I feel bad for saying anything negative!
I know a lot of people were looking for more positive results here.

Thats too bad that it didn't work for you.
Those sticky cutting mats are indeed an issue for paper cutting.
The inconsistent cutting depth is a sign of a low quality machine in my opinion.
Maintaining preset plotter/cutter pressure is an important element of a good machine.
I know this from working in the Sign industry.

is the cutting mat soft? cushiony?
The main issue on the inconsistent cut depth was after the initial test cuts the setting had to be adjusted to a -2 setting with standard 24# paper.
Even on the initial test cuts you could see on the small pattern where the blade would gouge the mat on one part but not on the other. For the 20 & 24 # papers it did tear the paper while cutting especially small cut areas.

No, the mat is a flimsy plastic sheet about 1mm thick and has a sticky residue on the surface which holds the paper. However, it was very inconsistent as well. After the blade applied pressure during the cut then it was very difficult to remove especially around groups of small parts.