PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Help Desk > Hardware

Old 06-11-2016, 12:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 162.75 MB
Beating dead printers

I have searched thru the forums but do not find any information regarding a good printer that is capable of the following

11x17 or 11x24 paper
up to 110 lb cardstock
supports ciss
Wireless network connectivity

From everything I have read it would appear very few members here print anything bigger than 8.5x11 (in usa) and A4 (in other countries). All the printers mentioned, when I check the specs on them most of them only support up to 65# cardstock. Which is strange since I have seen alot of mentions that they were able to print on 80 - 110 lb cardstock.

Does anyone have a recommended printer that is currently sold that supports the above specs?
Google Adsense
Old 06-11-2016, 02:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Yes, there are printers that can do what you ask.

You're looking for wideformat printer. I use wideformat to print on cardstock 24"x36".

Presently own older printers that can do this. One is a HP Deskjet 1220c ('90s technology) that prints on 13 x19 sheets.

The other is a HP Designjet 120c. It uses 6-ink cartridges and 6-different print heads. Cost to print is very expensive as the two cartridges used are the smallest and cost $40 each. If it needs print black, all six cartridges combine to make a green-tinted black, due to the type of color control system it uses. Very expensive to print big Saturn V rockets or SR71 Blackbirds...The ink is no longer available from HP. Tried aftermarket ink and they don't work, so only option is to buy original HP ink from eBay. It is getting harder to find.....

If you're looking for heavier duty printers to print on cardstock, you will need to look at the more professional printers. For HP you'll need to look at Designjets.

Search for professional type Photo printers that offer the best color printing as well as heavy duty paper allowed. These are going to cost more than all-in-one and home printers. A benefit is they normally have bigger ink cartridges available along with replaceable print heads.

Quite a few here use Epson Workforce printers. I had an Epson, it lasted almost 6-months before it clogged up and no longer would print. Wasn't impressed and will not buy another Epson product. The ink cartridges were expensive and it was an ink hog at the higher settings needed for models to look good.

Been thinking of my next purchase. Looking at the HP T120. it can handle 280 g/m2 paper in sheet sizes 24 x36. Uses only 4-colors instead of six, that come in different volumes. Haven't checked but there might even be a CISS available. Cost is $850 delivered here in Alaska.

Mike
Old 06-11-2016, 04:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 198.27 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadriancz View Post
I have searched thru the forums but do not find any information regarding a good printer that is capable of the following

11x17 or 11x24 paper
up to 110 lb cardstock
supports ciss
Wireless network connectivity

From everything I have read it would appear very few members here print anything bigger than 8.5x11 (in usa) and A4 (in other countries). All the printers mentioned, when I check the specs on them most of them only support up to 65# cardstock. Which is strange since I have seen alot of mentions that they were able to print on 80 - 110 lb cardstock.

Does anyone have a recommended printer that is currently sold that supports the above specs?
I used to think that my printer would not print on 110 lb cardstock.
Then I found that if there were several sheets of plain paper under the 110 lb cardstock, the printer would easily print on it.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 24.66 MB
I use a Canon Pixma iX7000. It can print up to 13x19 on 110lb card stock.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Go to the printer manufacturer website and check the specifications for the printer you are researching. If greeting cards and/or photo paper is listed in the media type then it will handle 110 lb/199 gsm card stock.
There will also be a listing showing the maximum width and length of paper it will handle. Most printers with a rear feed will be able to handle long sheets of paper as long as the paper does not exceed the maximum width of the carrier.
Google Adsense
Old 06-11-2016, 11:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
I've had few problems with my Epson that my print head cleaning kit hasn't been able to handle. The trick is to leave the printer ON at all times. The slight amount of increase on the power bill is worth the investment. Even after a couple of months of not using it, I was always able to get it going again after a couple of cleaning cycles. The Epson Workforce 1200 series meets just about all the requirements, but I don't think they are wireless capable; however, it is cheap enough to purchase a USB port WIFI adapter for it. My 1200 printers would (usually) accept refillable ink cartridges, and does have a non-OEM CIS system available. The new series of Workforce all-in-ones is worth checking out. It comes with an installed CIS, and the Epson refill bottles are quite reasonable at $11 per color. It is also wireless and handles 110 lb cardstock. I'm not sure if they have a wide format printer in that printer series, but by now I would be surprised if they don't, but may be on the pricey side. Personally, I have had fewer problems with Epsons than any other brand. Just don't turn the little buggers off.
Old 06-11-2016, 01:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.89 MB
I just said "Screw it with printing!" and now have everything printed professionally with a commercial laser printer, no fuss and no pain! I figure I'll never break even with printing it myself at the rate I build, so why bother?

My $0.02 for what it's worth,
John.
Old 06-11-2016, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v16guy View Post
I just said "Screw it with printing!" and now have everything printed professionally with a commercial laser printer, no fuss and no pain! I figure I'll never break even with printing it myself at the rate I build, so why bother?

My $0.02 for what it's worth,
John.
What rate do you build and print?
Old 06-11-2016, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
The new series of Workforce all-in-ones is worth checking out. It comes with an installed CIS, and the Epson refill bottles are quite reasonable at $11 per color. It is also wireless and handles 110 lb cardstock. I'm not sure if they have a wide format printer in that printer series, but by now I would be surprised if they don't, but may be on the pricey side. Personally, I have had fewer problems with Epsons than any other brand. Just don't turn the little buggers off.
After looking at the epson workforce printers there were only 2 with the requirements I wanted. However neither of the paper handling specs show any paper above photo paper, nothing on cardstock.

Epson WorkForce WF-7620 All-in-One Printer - Product Information - Epson America, Inc.

Epson WorkForce WF-7610 All-in-One Printer - Product Information - Epson America, Inc.

So I went to a local Office depot and brought some 110 cardstock with me, fed it into the printers when none of the workers were looking and attempted to print a test page and immediate paper jams. Sooooo....Guess it wont be epson.
Old 06-11-2016, 06:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 248.80 MB
I have had a Epson Workforce 1100 for about 4 years....I LOVE IT!
Straight thru feed, I print on poster paper (twice as thick as #110) with no jams.
Don't have CISS but got refillable carts from DIYinks, very good carts.
Here's a link.... Epson WorkForce 1100 Inkjet Printer - Product Information - Epson America, Inc. ....Rich