Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Help Desk > Hardware

Old 07-31-2016, 02:36 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaBlue View Post
photos anywhere but facebook?
Ken, just did a test, I logged out of my facebook account, and then went and viewed the links in my first post, no issues seeing those pictures, they are harmless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Nunn View Post
Rick sorry for stepping on your thread I don't want to highjack it But I do want to share the following information.

Very Cool approach to work bench lighting. I use two 28watt CF compacts in paragraph light fixtures one on each side of my work table but I still have to reposition my lights all the time.

I have used these strip lights for planted tank aquarium lighting and under counter lighting so I am no stranger to the LED strip lights. You can purchase them on eBay in 5 meter lengths with the 12VDC power supply and some sort of controller (even remote controllers) for $10 to $20 which includes shipping. your local electronics store may also have them but at a cost 3 to 5 times the EBay price. Hook up is simple but if you cut the strips to shorter lengths you will have to solder the ends or purchase the connectors on eBay.

Get the bright white 5000K LED strips if you can find a higher K rating in the 5000 to 7500 range they would be a little better. These K ratings are considered to be Bright (daylight) white and are very close to actual sun light. The lower ratings around 2000 to 3000 have a yellow tint. you can see that on the links below. The 5000K rated lights makes for much better photos and if you mix your own colors your color match will be spot on. look for strips that have 300 to 600 LED's per meter. The RGB LED strips are fun but you cannot set them to a specific K rating. As a side bar these lights would be great if you are growing plants indoors.
A couple of EBay sellers

16ft SMD 5050 600LED Light Lamp Strip Remote Controller Power Supply Adapter | eBay

600 SMD LED Strip Light 5M 3528 Cool White with RF Wireless Remote Controller TL | eBay

Jim Nunn
Jim, I am all for sharing information, the more the better, and thanks for the links, they are indeed good prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin WS View Post
Very clever idea.

Wonder how much it would cost? Great idea for a photography aid, so will investigate further.....

If anyone finds clear plans or instructions, post the links pse. Don't have a 3d printer....
The first two album links show pictures without the need for a 3D printer, a metal strap, the lights and the controller, a couple of clamps, and as our Australian friends say, "Bob's your uncle!"
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 07-31-2016, 10:06 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
https://www.wish.com/search/HOT%20Su...141a5ce62696b8

Just ordered this off WISH.......... under 8 bucks for the LED strip........ I know I've got a 12v adapter around here. So I will see if I can do this without curling my hair...........

My Drawings
Old 08-07-2016, 10:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Found this on Amazon:
Flexible-Daylight-LED-Lightstrip

There is also a power supply and remote control offered. You would need the power supply, not so much the remote control.

Looks like you could make an arch out of cardboard and apply the lights to that. Add some internal weight to the ends of the arch to make it more stable.
Old 08-07-2016, 12:33 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
Total Downloaded: 842.88 MB
John B. I'm very interested in your project and I think with some help I could make this for my own needs. I wish I had it today with the poor lighting I'm going through due to the over cast sky. My main problem is making sure the LEDs are going to be bright enough to work. I'm looking forward to your build of the Arch Light your making. It would be nice if this was a project all ready up for sale. wc
Old 08-07-2016, 01:21 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
If you are having light issues have a look at an led daylight bulb for your desk light. I use one and it is brilliant (!).
Old 08-07-2016, 07:08 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
Total Downloaded: 842.88 MB
Kevin can you supply me with information on this led daylight bulb? wc
Old 08-07-2016, 10:00 PM
Eternal Member

Will do tonight when I get home.....
Old 08-08-2016, 02:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 23.32 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin WS View Post
If you are having light issues have a look at an led daylight bulb for your desk light. I use one and it is brilliant (!).
There are now OTT light LED fixtures and bulbs. I use a pair of swing arms with OTT bulbs. I also use a pair of daylight LED spots from behind and high up. And, current favorite, a desk lamp that can cycle through four Kelvin levels and also four brightness marks at each Kelvin level. Sure, overkill for many folks. But my eyes are of an age where I'm wanting brighter work light.

At the least I'd strongly suggest OTT or daylight bulbs in your current lights. No longer excessively expensive. In USA easy to come by at Lowes, Amazon, Ikea and the like. OTT advantage is that they are full spectrum - better color.

I've very curious about this arch. It should remove most shadows in its plane of light distribution. But, I'm waiting for user comments before I commit. "Be ye not the first by which the new is tried . . ." and all that!

Last edited by Lighter; 08-08-2016 at 02:59 AM. Reason: More stuff added
Old 08-09-2016, 10:47 AM
Eternal Member

Wad Cutter - here are a couple of pics.

It is an 8 watt bulb but it is extremely bright. Daylight bulb, dimmable. Was pretty expensive, but is came in a sealed tin with a 25 year guarantee!

At the time it was all I could get, but I am sure that there are similar cheaper options now.

Pictures 1 and 2 show the bulb. Some versions have a "solid" plastic base.

Picture 3 gives an idea (maybe) of the light quality. Remeber it is a photo so the colour casts will not be accurate........
Attached Thumbnails
DIY: LED Arch-btp.jpg   DIY: LED Arch-btp3.jpg   DIY: LED Arch-btp2.jpg  
Old 08-09-2016, 11:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
WalMart and Lowes has LED bulbs like those Kevin showed. Most likely in other large retailers also like Home Depot and Target. Make sure you get the ones that are labeled Daylight and not Soft. Those designators should be on the packaging. Look for at least 5000K and 800 lumens. You can get non dimmable ones too. Check the package to see if the bulb is dimmable or non dimmable.
Google Adsense