PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Help Desk > Hardware

Old 08-09-2016, 01:17 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
Total Downloaded: 842.88 MB
Thank you guys for the great info but due to my work area and amount of space I have I have my heart set on the Arch Light System one day. Looks like I have to wait. During a clear to sunny day I have a ton of light but living along the coast not every day do I get the light required. When I saw the arch light I know it would solve my problem. I can wait. All the same, thank you very much for your kind input. wc
Old 08-09-2016, 02:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Here are a couple of quick pictures I took to show the difference in the types of lights.
The first one is a Soft White LED 2700K 800 lumens, the second one is a Daylight LED 5000K 800 lumens.

Each was taken with the same camera and settings in the same ambient light at a height of 16 inches/ 40.5 cm with the light shining straight down on the page. The graphic is a series of printed color strips on white card stock.

When you look for the strip LED lights to make the arch, make sure you get the daylight strips. The ones I have seen are 6000K so those should work good.
Old 08-09-2016, 02:59 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Thanks Doug.

That illustrates it nicely!
Old 08-09-2016, 03:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Waddy ... go here https://www.facebook.com/schiltronwa...c_location=ufi

He gives a parts list and a step by step build report. You may have to click on a 'See more' link to expand the full report.

There's a good point raised in the later comments too ... Don't cover the arch in pvc tape. Allow the bare alloy to be better used as a heat sink for the LEDs.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 23.32 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
Waddy ... go here https://www.facebook.com/schiltronwa...c_location=ufi

He gives a parts list and a step by step build report.
I notice in his photos that he is using two strips. One is daylight and the other is warm white. If the strips are dimmable this would cover a lot of the common light spectrum. My desk lamp mentioned above does that trick and it is very useful.
Google Adsense
Old 08-10-2016, 09:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.69 MB
Just built one myself

I just put one of these together over the weekend. I got a 'kit' off of Amazon that included both the power supply and a remote controlled dimmer (and the LED strip, of course) for about US $17. I got the hardware (the aluminum strip, angle brackets, and screws) at a big box home store for US $15, bringing the total investment to $32 (cheaper than most desk lamps, if you don't shop at IKEA).

It's very nice, and throws a lot of light. The aluminum strip I got was wide enough for three rows of LEDs, and the arc makes the lighting very even.

One thing to keep in mind is the size and 'power' of the LEDs. The 'kit' I got came with relatively low power 3528 size LEDs, which give off 73 lumens per foot. That's nice, but it's not enough to completely light my work bench (at least for me, I need more). I still need to use one of the swing arm lamps with a daylight bulb to provide enough.

I'm planning now to make an upgraded version that uses 5050 or 2835 size LEDs, which will double or triple the light output, which should mean not needing the extra light.

YMMV, of course. The lower power ones might be enough, based on other light sources, but I'm stuck in a basement room (which the wife calls 'The Nerd Bunker') with no windows at all.
Old 08-15-2016, 04:59 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
well.......... my "slow boat" from china finally docked and i got my LEDs in the mail............ now I just have to gather all the other parts.

My Drawings
Old 08-15-2016, 05:23 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolomere View Post
I just put one of these together over the weekend. I got a 'kit' off of Amazon that included both the power supply and a remote controlled dimmer (and the LED strip, of course) for about US $17. I got the hardware (the aluminum strip, angle brackets, and screws) at a big box home store for US $15, bringing the total investment to $32 (cheaper than most desk lamps, if you don't shop at IKEA).

It's very nice, and throws a lot of light. The aluminum strip I got was wide enough for three rows of LEDs, and the arc makes the lighting very even.

One thing to keep in mind is the size and 'power' of the LEDs. The 'kit' I got came with relatively low power 3528 size LEDs, which give off 73 lumens per foot. That's nice, but it's not enough to completely light my work bench (at least for me, I need more). I still need to use one of the swing arm lamps with a daylight bulb to provide enough.

I'm planning now to make an upgraded version that uses 5050 or 2835 size LEDs, which will double or triple the light output, which should mean not needing the extra light.

YMMV, of course. The lower power ones might be enough, based on other light sources, but I'm stuck in a basement room (which the wife calls 'The Nerd Bunker') with no windows at all.
Got some pics? It didn't happen without pics y'know
I suppose it's too late to ask for a build thread.
Old 08-16-2016, 06:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.69 MB
Pictures of the Arc

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott View Post
Got some pics? It didn't happen without pics y'know
I suppose it's too late to ask for a build thread.
LOL... I'm not sure how interesting a build thread it would have made, since it took me less than a hour to do the whole job.

I'll take some pictures tonight and post them. I upgraded to 5630 LEDs on Saturday, and they are WAY brighter than the original 3528s I got in the kit.

One thing I've noticed is the 5630s get much hotter than the older ones. The aluminum strip makes a good heat sink for them, but I might have gone with a thicker one if I was doing it again. From what I've read, heat is death to LED lights.
Old 08-16-2016, 05:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.32 MB
heat did you say heat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolomere View Post
One thing I've noticed is the 5630s get much hotter than the older ones. The aluminum strip makes a good heat sink for them, but I might have gone with a thicker one if I was doing it again. From what I've read, heat is death to LED lights.
How much heat are we talking about? I am on verge of building one of these and getting rid of my other lights which gets my room really hot after a while. So how warm does it get around the arch after a say 30 minutes?

Thanks in advance
Todd
Google Adsense