PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Help Desk > Hardware

Old 03-05-2017, 07:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 65.32 MB
Any updates on different versions

I have now cleaned off my table and have done some measurements to make one of these. I was wanting to know if anyone has come up with any improvements or found and problems?

I am thinking of making the base out of spare T slot bars, attached to the table to be able to slide it forward or backwards.

Would there be any value in making the arch tilt? It would be easy to add a bolt at the base.

One other thing I was thinking about was adding some scrap brass tubes to the top to allow wooden dowels to be place in them. The idea would be to use the dowels and add alligator clips on the end to hold instructions or reference pictures.

I looked at all the arches that people have printed on a 3D printer but I have so much scrap metal bits that I have challenged myself to do this without going crazy and spending a much money. I joke with my wife that if I can save money on other stuff I can spend more on models. BAhahahaha!!!!!!!!

I sent a PM to Jim to see if he had any changes to his since his son pointed a few things out.

If anyone else has any tips on their build I would be grateful to hear what you did.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 528.19 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtodd View Post
I was wanting to know if anyone has come up with any improvements or found and problems?
Look at the picture carefully of the one just above your post. Its using 2 pipe insulation noodles, 1 paint stick, 2 deck screws and some clear tape. Oh, and a left over DC power supply from an old answering machine and a 6foot strip of the 5050 warm white LEDS. It tilts as well. it took 10 minutes to build, and works great.
Old 05-24-2018, 04:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
Here is a quick and dirty light arch using PVC pipe and zip ties. Building materials were 1 ten foot section of 1/2” PVC pipe, 2 “T” PVC couplers, 4 PVC end caps, and 4 45 degree PVC couplers from Home Depot, several small zip ties from Harbor Freight, and one LED light kit from EBay. Total cost under $20. Simple bends were used to reverse the light strip at the end of the arch.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY: LED Arch-80707e01-f260-4d5c-9de5-7b120af2a4e4.jpg   DIY: LED Arch-4c24b8b0-72db-40bf-a81a-0ab7829bdad3.jpg   DIY: LED Arch-e901a0ce-cbee-4954-aae9-808297edeed6.jpg   DIY: LED Arch-111d05ca-9ebc-4280-89a8-ad5b32fd2a2a.jpg