PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Help Desk > Hardware

Old 05-21-2017, 02:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Paul, I understand where you are coming from, being 72 myself in just a few weeks...not wanting to obtain a pet with a longer life expectancy than my own, I am now down to hamsters and guppys as choices. That said, the Epsons I have owned have delivered all the print quality I could want (so long as I keep the inkjets unclogged). So far as the expense is considered, just tell yourself that you could be a skier...one can get a fairly good 2D AND 3D printer for the cost of just one ski weekend. And, as Justin Wilson said, "I ain't ever seen an armored car in a funeral procession." Enjoy your visit to San Fran. The last time I was there Janice Joplin was the headliner at the night club I went to.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:41 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
The last time I was there Janice Joplin was the headliner at the night club I went to.

Janice who??

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 05-21-2017, 09:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Ray, does your mommy know you're up past your bedtime, kid?
Old 05-22-2017, 06:44 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
I had her sign a note...

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 05-22-2017, 10:05 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Paul,

$300 is a large investment in a printer, one that if you want to save money would be well spent on one of the CIS printers from Epson, you won't have to buy ink as often, and still be able to print off tons of paper models.

If you feel the need for a large format printer, something that is capable of 11x17 or more, check out the Epson Workforce 7610, I have one, bought it for $150, and there are some others who have purchased the same model for around $100.

So there are options to be had, just some of the right people needed to show up, my excuse was my studies, I wasn't paying any attention to the forum.

I will always be an HP fan, just like the durability of the printers, and i have grown to love my Workforce from Epson, highly capable, and very easy to use.(and firmware/software frequently updated by Epson)
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Google Adsense
Old 05-22-2017, 05:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.37 GB
One's own printer is always the best. So I present ...
WF-2630 with durabrite inks.
Waterproof, smudge proof, no need to laminate the paper or card or apply fixative to protect the ink. It's great for posters unless the snails eat the paper.
You get the fine detail, although sometimes the ink can band a little.
Not very expensive either for an A4 printer / scanner all in one.
It would be a blessing if it could print on both sides of the paper. You have to feed the sheets manually to achieve that.
I use it for pamphlets and other printed work in addition to the occasional model.
PS I don't have any shares or commercial interest in Epson.
It's just that I like the permamence of the durabrite inks.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.23 GB
After considerable research and procrastination I placed an order for the Epson ET2650 yesterday from Amazon for $249 + tax. It is scheduled to arrive on Monday evening, because we are Prime members there is no shipping charge.

Ink costs and quality printing were the determining factors. My Canon 2120, which cost me $49 about 4 years ago is a glutton for ink and the print detail is really bad. I spent $150 for ink last year. So getting a printer with continuous ink supply was a necessity as far as I am concerned. And while I never actually had the opportunity to see the print quality of the ET 2650, all of the reviews I read indicated it was excellent.

I intend to provide an update of my impressions after I set up the printer and actually do some printing.

My sincere thanks to all of those members who took the time to reply to my post.

Paul
Old 06-17-2017, 07:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.62 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickstef View Post
If you feel the need for a large format printer, something that is capable of 11x17 or more, check out the Epson Workforce 7610, I have one, bought it for $150, and there are some others who have purchased the same model for around $100.
I got the Epson 7610 because my over 15 year old HP scanner is not supported by Win10, and I wanted a large format scanner to convert books to searchable PDF files. PDF/OCR function did not come with the bundled software in the box, but appears to be available as a download from the Epson Driver upgrade page. So far it seems like a decent basic printer and scanner. Some colors look muddy or washed out on cheap 20 lb paper, but look much better on ink jet paper. I have not downloaded the updated driver and software options.

My ancient Epson C88 is still chugging along and works with Windows10, the only problems I have had with it is occasionally having to blow out clogged print heads with a syringe filled with distilled water.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.23 GB
Latest update.

The printer is back in it's box waiting for UPS to pick it up. Amazon makes returns quite easy, thank goodness.

I was not able to get the colors straightened out. A brilliant red on my monitor printed a muddy brown and no settings or using different papers could get it to print red. I spent more than 2 hours with Epson tech support trying to get it sorted out and finally just gave up and contacted Amazon.

Back to square one, but I have learned a lot about color monitors and color printers that I honestly did not want to know. Calibrating the monitor to the printer is a whole new world that in my mind is better left to the experts. I just wanted what was printed to look close to what I was seeing on my screen.

Shopping again. I still feel as if I really want a tank printer which narrows the world down to Canon or Epson. It would be so nice to be able to bring a sample flash drive to the store and ask them to show me how it prints. However, it seems that just is not going to happen.

More later.

Paul
Old 06-20-2017, 08:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.62 GB
@ bpgeygolpher
If you ever do have the chance to do a test before buy of an ink jet printer, take along several different types of paper. The print quality from the same ink jet printer can range from terrible, smudgey, and muddy looking to really good, sharp and bright, depending on the paper type.
To my untrained eye, to get a good print, the type of paper seems more important than the printer setting, at least that has been my experience with Epson printers.
Google Adsense