PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Help Desk > Hardware

Old 05-13-2017, 08:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.23 GB
Printer advice Epson ET2650

I currently have a Canon MG 2120 which is a great all-in-one printer for use for everything around the house with one exception. The level of detail it provides for downloaded PDF card models is exceptionally poor. As a result I am considering purchasing an Epson ET2650 from Amazon for under $300. From what I have read it is very good on ink as well as the price of ink in addition to being able to airprint, WIFI print and wireless print.

While all of that is good stuff, my main concern is the quality of the print, especially the level of detail. It is frustrating to see the model parts displayed on my monitor then compare them to what the Canon printed. Most if not all of the detail is lost. I have tried every combination of settings as well as just about every type of paper imaginable with the same results. Of course, what should I expect from a $50 printer that eats ink?

Does anyone have experience with this Epson printer? Are you satisfied with the level of detail? Would you buy it again? Maybe the solution is to just buy pre-printed models and forget about downloading. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Paul
Old 05-13-2017, 09:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
I have ET-2550 and as long as you choose correct paper in the settings and "High" as quality, you are good to go.
Old 05-13-2017, 11:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 3.37 MB
I running Epson Artisan 1430 on wi-fi and very happy with it. .pdf have the option to print in high quality but if you save the file in a normal setting, you can't do anything to print better image. What paper setting makes a different too.
Old 05-13-2017, 12:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
I changed from an Epson (inks became too expensive) to an HP, much better quality printing of model parts.
Old 05-13-2017, 01:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
The only gripe I have with my Epsons is that they are programmed to not accept non-OEM ink carts. The latest one has a built-in CIS, so that gripe is eliminated (just wish they would come up with an affordable wide carriage CIS printer). As has been mentioned, it all depends on the print settings...so long as I pick the 'right' paper and highest quality settings. After years of reading this kind of string, I'm convinced that (with the exception of Brother....no one is ever happy with Brother), the 'best' brand is whatever the poster happens to own. "The devil you know," I guess.
Old 05-13-2017, 01:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 73.24 MB
I am a fan of the Epson ET2550, especially the refillable ink tanks... about 5000 pages in black for about $13! Just as good on colors. JB
Old 05-13-2017, 02:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
-snip-(with the exception of Brother....no one is ever happy with Brother)
I happen to own a Brother (this one) and I am really quite content with it. It also prints A3 (either automatically from the extended paper tray or a single sheet through the manual feed at the back). It has a wireless scanner and accepts third party ink. (I just need a resetting tool to make the printer believe the cartridges aren't empty. Usually those sneaky bastards make you change a cartridge halfway through the ink capacity. Now I can just use them up almost to the end.
I still don't have the money for a CIS system next to my printer but that is the next step.
As for the prints; they are very crisp and especially on matte photo paper it looks incredibly awesome. Superfine details and very clean.
So, not everyone is unhappy with his Brother. (-:
Old 05-13-2017, 10:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper Kosmonaut View Post
So, not everyone is unhappy with his Brother. (-:
Proof there is an exception to every rule.
Old 05-20-2017, 04:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 73.24 MB
Well, have you made a choice? Got it? The world wants to know! JB
Old 05-21-2017, 06:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.23 GB
JB thanks for looking in. I have not made a purchase but am leaning toward the Epson ET2650 and am trying to locate one that is operational so I can see the quality of the print before making the purchase.

One obstacle is an upcoming trip to San Franscisco (the other side of the country from where I live) that has made a serious dent in our check book but brought a big smile to my wife's face.

The second is the basic question of, "Do I want to make a large ($300) investment in this hobby?". My Canon is just fine for our household printing needs and I am sure it will last a number of years. Granted it costs quite a bit for ink, but the ink is only being used up at an astounding rate because of me printing downloaded models.

Put another way, is it economically wise to buy a new printer that is much better in terms of ink costs and print quality, or to forget about it and only buy pre-printed model kits?

One other factor is I am about to turn 75 years old and the phrases, "Long term and lifetime warranty" now have a whole new meaning to me. I don't buy green bananas.

That is where I am right now. I honestly expected more sage advice from the members than I received and I do thank those who responded, but as Darwin said, "The best brand is whatever the poster happens to own".

When I do make a decision, be assured I will post it.

Paul