PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Help Desk > Hardware

Old 12-16-2007, 11:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 33.74 MB
Computer Driven Printer Cutter

Hi,

Has any one got any experience of using any of the computer driven cutters that are available? I'm looking for advice and guidance on:
  • Whether the technology is accurate enough to cut already printed media
  • Whether the technology can support printing and cutting
  • Whether there is software that can drive all this
  • Etc.
I saw something on Kartonbau.de a while ago, but can't find it now, and it was in German (of course, now I find it - http://www.kartonbau.de/wbb2/thread.php?threadid=11528) .... I've also searched on here for previous discussions.

Any one got thoughts to share?

Max

Last edited by Hondamax; 12-16-2007 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Found
Google Adsense
Old 12-16-2007, 12:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hi!

Here's a good discussion about the CraftRobo, which some paper modelers are starting to adopt:

http://www.flying-pig.co.uk/fpvanill...onID=55&page=1

Most are reporting it's good if you want to cut out several copies of the same model.

One of the downsides is that the blades are rather pricey...

Terry

Ping-Pong Ball Cannon and N/Z scale Old West paper models (free samples) at: http://www.paperbeam.com
Old 12-16-2007, 12:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
I do not have any of those computer driven cutters, but from what I understand reading about them you have to have a model developed using some software associated with the cutter so all of registration marks are present. The registration marks are used to show the cutter where to cut and where to score the model.

Checking the Pepakura site shows that there is a Pepakura program made to use with CraftROBO.
Go to

http://www.tamasoft.co.jp/pepakura-en/

click Download, then Pepakura Viewer for CraftROBO to find out some information about the program.

Here is some information from the site about it:
Quote:
Pepakura Viewer2 for CraftROBO is a viewer that the automated cutting feature is added to. Pepakura Viewer2 for CraftROBO supports CraftROBO(CC100,CC200 series) of GRAPHTEC Corp. By using this application, you can cut the patterns generated by Pepakura Designer using CraftROBO.

Pepakura Viewer2 for CraftROBO supports allignment with registration marks and switching cutting line style. Please note that this software supports only A4 size paper.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 33.74 MB
Thanks for the responses, guys.

I was thinking that it would be a benefit in cutting out tank tracks and wheels , etc. - the stuff where you lose the will to live ...

Max
Old 01-20-2010, 04:23 PM

Am I correct in assuming that this is the same basic thing as a Cricut

https://www.getmycricut.com/index.as...FdRM5Qodg3lcmQ

Seems you could buy a life time supply of #11 blades . Although as noted if you need to do a ton of the same parts.
Google Adsense
Old 01-20-2010, 04:29 PM
Eternal Member

Kooklik uses one

Old 01-20-2010, 04:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
The Cricut is different from the Craft Robo and Silouette SD. The Craft Robo can cut out and score a paper model providing the correct registration marks are applied using the software.
The people at World Works Games have a forum dedicated to discussing the Craft Robo and Silouette SD.
WorldWorksGames :: Index
Old 01-20-2010, 09:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 177.15 MB
The department I work for deals with large 48 inch and 60 inch plotters made by Graphtec. Graphtec has drivers and a program called Mastercut on their website for free download. The Mastercut program allows anything drawn in Corel Draw or Adobe Illustrator (vector based drawing programs) to plot or cut on the plotters. Graphtec makes plotters that print and cut on the same machine. Most poster printer shops use these machines. We deal only in cutting and don't have a machine that prints or does both.

Clif
Old 03-05-2011, 09:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 28.46 MB
The craft robo and silouette have around 300 grm of cutting force the boss kut Gazelle has 700grm and a bigger work area. ant other current info out there. I'm considering being a gazelle dealer and will offer a significant discount but as of now i have not seen one first hand.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
All cutter/plotters including the low end "craft" cutters work on the same principle of vector plotting.

To cut anything you need a cut diagram...that is your vector artwork.
With many cutters/plotters you may need a specific "cutting" software to operate
but they still work from a vector plotted design. (x and y points)

if the machine has the capability of importing a vector, svg or eps type file
then that is what you must create from a preprinted model design.

The simplest method is "drawing" a vector cut outline from a scan of the model page.
So you need software to do that...like Corel, Adobe, etc

Precision is necessary to create a perfect aligning outline of each part.
Care must be taken to create the proper registration and alignment marks as well.
And your Cutter/Plotter needs some way of aligning marks so as to cut out your parts properly.
Misalignments would be the biggest issue and concern for cutting a preprinted page.

Creating a vector cut pattern and cutting solid colour shapes from solid colour pages would be less of a problem and more along the lines of what the "Craft" cutters are designed for.

This is my Printer Cutter (Plotter) and even I won't waste my time trying to create a cut pattern for a preprinted model.
...it would be hours of work creating the cut file.
...then many test cuts to try to get it just right.
...then one shot to run through the printed page and most likely ruin it.

...and the cut pattern is good for that one part, or page, and you have to throw it all
away and start all over again for the next part or page or kit.

Kooklik uses a cutter since he is designing the model from scratch in vector format.
...he is also cutting blank parts on blank papers and painting them after assembly.
In that case, it saves a lot of hand cut work.
Google Adsense