PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > HOWTO: Use the forums

Old 04-23-2017, 01:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 441.23 MB
Unhappy best glue

what's the best kind of glue to use ?
Google Adsense
Old 04-23-2017, 02:29 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
White wood glue is popular - look in the "Tops and Trick" section of the Forum.

White glue is a water based PVA glue and is easy to use and clean up. Most people do not apply it directly, but rather put a blob on some paper and then apply using a toothpick etc.

I use dental probes for this.

-----------------------------------
All the glues have their advantages/disadvantages - and these are all discussed on the Tips Forum - try search just that section of the Forum under "glue" etc.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Dear bwagar1:
I am going to haul out the soap box now, Paper Modelers is a world wide group now and glues are not the same region to region around the world. I looked you up and you are in Canada, So you might be able to find Aleens Quick dry tacky glue in the gray label. try art supply stores. I just went to my work bench and counted I have 6 different kinds of glues Some are better in glues large areas some I got to try and will never use again. So do not be afraid to try different glues, Many years ago the German members were all talking about a German glue Uhu. after searching stores in Western New York I found a tube little pricey got it anyway. Tried it it was clumpy stringie real mess then I figured out that the glue was past its sell by date and had probably froze on the ship coming across the big pond.
Live Learn and Share
Miles
Old 04-23-2017, 08:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Aleens glue is widely available at Michael's art supply stores. They are everywhere in big cities in the USA and Canada.

Isaac
Old 04-23-2017, 09:46 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Miles - white glue or PVA glue may have different product names around the world, but it can be found at any hardware store - at a fraction of the cost of what essentially the same thing at stationers etc.

Trick is to look at the label to see what the glues is made of - if its Polyvinyl Acetate then essentially it is white glue or PVA.

What is Aleens Quick dry tacky glue made of incidentally?

And your issue with the Uhu was the Uhu - it behaves just as you describe, old or new! Terrible. But some European models seem to swear by it!
Old 04-23-2017, 12:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwagar1 View Post
what's the best kind of glue to use ?
Depends on what is available in your area, what type of paper you are using and will you be adding any other media type to the model.

Aleenes has been mentioned. This is what I use, Aleenes Turbo Tacky type.

For adding plastic canopies, ZIP DRY works well to attach the plastic to the cardstock, or even metal to the cardstock.

Now about technique:
1) Use very little glue, the more you use the longer it takes to tack and dry. Meaning you will need to clamp/hold the parts forever to get it to work. Added to this problem is the glue might warp the part out of shape.
2) Find a good way to apply the glue without needing to touch it with your fingers. Once on your fingers the glue will show up as finger-prints all over your model.
3) Make sure you clamp or press the parts together very firmly-this forces the glue into the paper fibers, allowing for a better glue joint. Once again-the less glue used makes this work better.

Experiment with different brands to find what works best for your technique. I have about 10-different brands/types on my work table at this time. Some work well, some don't.

As you progress with this hobby, you will find yourself looking at different brands and types in the many stores you visit, just like paper: you can never seem to pass different papers without checking them out, same holds true for glue!

Mike
Old 04-23-2017, 02:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.16 MB
OK Guys and Gals,
I have always used Aileens Tackey glue.
( available at Walmart and most other stors )
It is non toxic and kitty friendly when dry.
And I have always applied it with my monoject 412
glue applicators. They are very handy for getting
into tight spots and just applying the right amount of glue
without wasting it. The red cap is from an electrical wire.
The S behind the 412 is because I have one that's small and one that's large ended for amount of glue to apply.
They are available at most good hobby shops.
Here are pictures of both for you all to see.
Best Regards,
Gary
Attached Thumbnails
best glue-img_3083-e-mail.jpg   best glue-img_3084-e-mail.jpg   best glue-img_3085-e-mail.jpg  
Old 04-23-2017, 03:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 248.16 MB
WELDBOND, made in Canada, PVA, glues anything. Brilliant on card, paper, canopies etc. (NASA approved for the cold in space)

ALEENE'S TURBO TACKY, USA, PVA, marvelous to use, sets very quickly, like a turbo.

KITTIFIX, PVA, bought some from FENTENS to test, it's now my go to glue.

Some cheap PVA/craft glue from the $2 shops work well too but the quality varies and many are like white water, so runny and make the paper soggy.

Clive.
Old 04-23-2017, 03:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Lots of good suggestions here. As Clive says, Aleene's has superior qualities to the Elmer's that is standard in the USA, but doesn't taste as good.

I am longing to use a glue named "Kittifix," and hope I can find a source.

Don
Old 04-23-2017, 03:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 248.16 MB
Don,

Fentens Germany or Fentens Australia will send Kittifix to you.

Cheap to buy and Aussie post is very reasonable.

I took a risk and ordered two to try, good move cos one would not be enough.

I'm waiting for a particular kit to come into stock and when I order it I shall also order several bottles of KITTIFIX.

Good excuse to buy another model eh.

Sorry to sound like an advert.

Clive.