PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > HOWTO: Use the forums

Old 11-22-2017, 04:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
AirDave's Funny Car ala Weird-OH

This was an experiment to try an learn Inkscape. I built AirDave's Snake and wanted to modify it with a Weird-Oh style driver. To keep things simple, I made the driver's head as a Hako style. I got a little frustrated with the node capability in Inkscape as it appears very limited and I had to distort the drawing to add a node to Max x or Y axis. I also got a little impatient drawing curves on the sides of the head for the hair, and drew it freehand with the pen so it isn't very smooth. The arm is also drawn freehand. Finally, my Epson print head is clogged so I only had a one print and it is on copy paper.

As far as the build, this was a quickie so no edge coloring on the car. One curious thing is that the sides of the car are buckled. I don't know what I did wrong, but perhaps I cut the bottom tabs of the body too short.

The monster came out ok but the arm should definitely be longer. Anyway, here it is:
Attached Thumbnails
AirDave's Funny Car ala Weird-OH-snake1.jpg   AirDave's Funny Car ala Weird-OH-snake2.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 11-22-2017, 04:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
are you using a scoring tool...and a straight edge...when scoring fold lines?
this is very important.
well scored lines are important.
but keeping straight folds straight, is even more important.

I'd say the buckling is due to the way the top of the sides are connected to the roof.
you said it was a fast build.
so...you got a little sloppy...thats all.

I suggest enlarging the driver's head a little
and reposition his pupils so he is looking forward (more upwards).
Old 11-22-2017, 05:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Do I detect a touch of Ed Roth creepin' in here?

Not really suitable for Koolwheelz but I did sorta luv the OUTLAW, and Beatnik Bandit was extrovert, but pretty Kool.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:14 PM

The buckling isn't due to scoring properly, but more with the way the tabs are glued together around the base frame. I may have cut the tabs too short. The sides were straight if I kept the tabs separate and not overlapping.

I agree about the head. As it was a simple square, the driver is looking down in line with the sloping roof. I should have made the head shape a little more angled up. The eyes could definitely be enlarged as well. I was trying to get this done before the convention but ran out of time and then my print head went south so I haven't worked on the design any further. All colors except black are working after numerous cleanings. Will try to fix it this weekend but may need to replace the head or get another printer. Epsons print nice but seem to clog up too easily. I was trying to print at least once a week to keep the head clean.
Old 11-23-2017, 07:34 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Very cool. It needs a little further development, but if you consider it as a beta build, it's pretty darned good. On many of the Roth illustrations the car's front wheels are raised in the air. If you mounted the model on a base (paper or otherwise), and elevated the front of the car, the downward cast of the head would be corrected. Maybe some paper "smoke" pouring out from behind the slicks could double as extra support. I like it a lot.
Google Adsense
Old 11-23-2017, 07:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Funny you should mention that. I was trying to make a quick fix on some other models over the last two days, raising the front ends. I used slightly unfolded and bent paperclips to achieve my goal. On one, I ran the paperclip up through the glued seam to hold it in place. Something like that would work on the wheels (between the wheel faces and the treads), but I'm heading out of town right now, so I'll try to remember to post photos when I get back
Old 11-23-2017, 08:36 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. Doing a wheelie and add tire smoke woud definitely make it look better. There are a number of issues with the design but at least it got me to finally start to learn Inkscape.

I still have problems adding nodes to paths. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. It seems extremely limited compared to Paint Shop Pro which I used may years ago.
Old 11-23-2017, 09:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
Do I detect a touch of Ed Roth creepin' in here?

Not really suitable for Koolwheelz but I did sorta luv the OUTLAW, and Beatnik Bandit was extrovert, but pretty Kool.

Mr Gasser would make a fun model.
The problem is the figure.
Too complicated a shape, especially for a small scale simplified paper model.