PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > HOWTO: Use the forums

Old 04-01-2013, 06:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.45 MB
Odd things happening to a Newbie

Chaps

I'm a new member with only 6 posts to my name which may explain my query but odd things seem to happen when I post. I had a similar issue to the Alaskan chap so these problems may all disappear once I meet the magic 10 but:

When I post or send a Private Message there seems to be no indication that I have done so. I've sent private messages which were received but but have never appeared in my sent box. This has caused me to send them twice on occasion.

When I post there is also no indication of success. The post does not appear in the new postings thread and once even when someone replied and I got an email to tell me there was a reply it was not there. I managed to find it by hunting it down to it's proper place in Designers Corner but it took me a while.

If this is because I'm still under the magic 10 that explains it all but can I suggest you mention these restrictions in your welcome private message. It's very off putting and discouraging when you don't understand whats going on.

Terry
Google Adsense
Old 04-01-2013, 06:30 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
In your private messages you should be able to see the recipients name in your SENT folder, if you reply to a private message you should see an arrow going out showing you that you responded to their message.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:37 PM

Peter

I can see the reply arrow on a PM I sent several weeks ago. However there is no indication of a new PM I sent less than an hour ago.

Perhaps it is waiting to be approved by an administrator?

Terry
Old 04-01-2013, 06:50 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
No, we do not approve any private messages
only the couple of first open messages you post
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 04-01-2013, 07:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
When sending personal messages, there is an additional options box. If you don't have the boxes checked for saving a copy for Sent Mail, it will not be there. If you do not check the box for read receipt, you will not see when your messages are opened. Took me a while to see that I had to scroll down far enough to see the box for options when I started here...
Google Adsense
Old 04-01-2013, 07:04 PM

Dear Mr Vermin

Thanks for your reply.

I found that option about a minute before I read your post and have ticked it.

At this rate I will soon reach the magic 10 posts.

Terry
Old 04-01-2013, 07:09 PM

Only one more to go!
Old 04-09-2013, 03:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryn View Post
Chaps

When I post or send a Private Message there seems to be no indication that I have done so. I've sent private messages which were received but but have never appeared in my sent box. This has caused me to send them twice on occasion.
Terry
If you go into your "User CP" and scroll down on the left to "Edit Options" there is a section on Messaging and the last option will set the default to Save Messages to Sent Box. Just found this myself! But you will still have to tic the check box if you want a read verification!

As to knowing when something is sent or posted, I do not get any indication either. On other forums you get a little pop up message like "Sent Successfully" Wish this forum did that, it would sure make it easier on us old codgers whose eyes aren't so good anymore! You probably don't have the age problems, but I sure do and sometimes these forums can be confusing. My wife always bails me out - she even builds our computers and she started in computers as a programmer 30+ years ago before there were even such a thing as pc's, so guess I am lucky!
Old 04-09-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaneagle View Post
My wife always bails me out - she even builds our computers and she started in computers as a programmer 30+ years ago before there were even such a thing as pc's, so guess I am lucky!
So she may have been in the old computer card days. One of my favorite practical jokes was that we got 6 trash bags full of the chads from the computer cards from the computer lab on campus and filled a rich kid's BMW through his sunroof.

Those were the days .... I wish that cardstock was available in 8 1/2 X 11 sheets
Old 04-10-2013, 11:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermin_King View Post
So she may have been in the old computer card days. One of my favorite practical jokes was that we got 6 trash bags full of the chads from the computer cards from the computer lab on campus and filled a rich kid's BMW through his sunroof.

Those were the days .... I wish that cardstock was available in 8 1/2 X 11 sheets
Asked my wife and she knew exactly what you were talking about and amazed that you could collect 6 bags of the chads! Thought it was hilarious about dumping them in that kids car!

She said she was lucky cause it was then she had gone back to school for accounting and ocmputer programming and the business school she attended had some of the first mini mainframes with "dumb" terminals, but her friend was at U of W and had to use key punch. Her friend really envied my wife! *grin* This was around 1980 and she was in her early 30's.
Google Adsense