PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Fiddler's Green Modeling Madness > Improved Stock

Old 03-12-2012, 06:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 113.50 MB
Wouldnt it be a bit dense?

I have used the stuffing my wife puts into cushions to achieve the same sort of look. You can kind of squeeze the stuffing or pull it appart and mold it a bit. Its one big piece so you can just tear off how much you need. Its probably easier to use than individual cotton balls. I dont have any models using it anymore, but here is a old picture to show you what it looks like.
Attached Thumbnails
B-17 Going Down in Flames-lip9nh5.jpg  
Old 03-12-2012, 06:35 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
This is a really cool diorama - Gives inspiration to others to have a go. You made a very good effect.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Linnabery View Post
Dear List folks:
Go look in the clothes dryer for lint especily from gray clothes to use for the smoke.
thanks
MILES
Good tip, Miles...that's what I use for smoke puffing out of ship's stacks in my models...Avro, you just pull it apart with tweezers, and insert a very thin wire for support if you need a long smoke trail...it's already colored so that's not a concern, and you can alter how light or dense it is depending on the type of smoke you want.

Superb looking diorama! Love the way you set it up, quite impressive!

Cheers!
Jim
Old 03-12-2012, 10:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by avro202 View Post
That sure is kool lookin.

Have you thought about doing something similar to the Me-163? You could stick a bit of yellow-red highlighted fluff into the rear of the rocket motor.
I'd considered it, but decided against it because the 163 only carried ~7.5 minutes of fuel, meaning that it spent the majority of its time gliding in between bursts of power. Besides, two smoke trails would look to cluttered.

Nice Lippisch though! Does that one go together nicely? I've been trying to decide whether or not to add it to the stack. Then again, maybe it will be in the next batch of FG freebies...
Old 03-13-2012, 12:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
[QUOTE=Immelmann;277966]I'd considered it, but decided against it because the 163 only carried ~7.5 minutes of fuel, meaning that it spent the majority of its time gliding in between bursts of power. Besides, two smoke trails would look to cluttered.
QUOTE]

Rocket Fighter by Mano Ziegler says they flew stright up to 10,000 -12,000 meters before engine quit. Then they wer supposed to dive on bomber formations as gliders.

Good book!!!!! They even tried using ten 50-mm high explosive cannons mounted verticaly (slight oblique angle for shotgun like spread) in the wing roots. Light sensitve cell for each cannon would set cannons off (delayed timer of sorts) once under a shadow.

tested idea by using two poles 20 meters high and some canvas 30-meters long tied between the poles at 900km per hour. Canvas was shreded. (8 of 10 rounds hit usually)

Each high explosive cannon was supposed to equal one 88-mm flak round, in other words only one of the ten had to hit the target!

Mike
Google Adsense
Old 03-13-2012, 01:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I'd not heard of that armament consideration, but it sounds really interesting! Thanks for posting, I'll definitely have to check that book out

I wonder how they accounted for positions in relation to the sun though (or flying upside-down :P)
Old 03-13-2012, 10:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immelmann View Post
I'd not heard of that armament consideration, but it sounds really interesting! Thanks for posting, I'll definitely have to check that book out

I wonder how they accounted for positions in relation to the sun though (or flying upside-down :P)
Actually one of the very first tests went wrong, the pilot flew under a cloud, someone forgot to install the delay and every cannon fired at once. Canopy disenergrated and pilot was almost killed.

Reading the book will make the way the USA tested rocket planes look like kind of wimpy...Nobody shooting at you, a long runway, no cannons onboard, and copying what others had done.

Don't get me wrong, it still took guts and plenty of nerve.

A couple of other books about flying Rocket Planes:

In the book The Fastest Man Alive by Bri. Gen Frank Everest, he claims many firsts, but some of them were done by the pilots who flew the ME163. Now if he had clarified and said, "first in the USA", it would've been true.

One of my favorites is The Lonely Sky by William Bridgeman. Douglass D558-II Skyrocket (jet and rocket at first from the ground, eventually air launch like the X-1).
Mike