PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Fiddler's Green Modeling Madness > Improved Stock

Old 03-16-2010, 09:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 7.06 MB
HUM..... I wonder if scoreing the underside of the wing with say a wooden dowel would work??? To simulate ribs
Old 03-17-2010, 03:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
I've tried and it works. Dovel must be smoot and blunt. Place the wing on your window glass and you'll see the lines better (cheap lightbox). Best to do before you cut the wing out then you can fasten the hole sheet to glass with tape.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 1,012.17 MB
Finished up the bottom wing. The attached photos show the build progression or at least most of it. I printed the wing several times trying to get a good printout so I had some extras to work with. I took advantage of that to use one of the poorly printed ones as a guide. After trimming around the edges to make it a bit smaller than the original I just glued the sticks onto it using the rib markings as a guide.

The sticks are slightly less than 1mm dia. shaved from a bamboo skewer or chopstick. After they are glued down and allowed to set the entire surface gets wetted with glue and a fairly stiff piece of card is laid over the whole surface.

Then the wing is turned over so that the upper wing surface can be pressed down between the "ribs". A paint brush handle of appropriate size is used to do the embossing step. After letting that set for awhile I turned the wing over again so that I can glue another heavy card piece to the bottom along with a fiberboard "spar" to aid in shaping an airfoil.

The next to last photo shows this wing subassembly completely glued up and ready for the final layer which is the printed wing in the top of the photo.

Gluing this outer layer onto the subassembly along with a final embossing with the paint brush handle results in the final wing shown in the last photo. I plan on continuing to use this method for fabric covered wings to bring out more depth and hopefully a slightly more realistic model as I get more practised with it.

Curt.
Attached Thumbnails
FGMM US Navy Jenny-wing02.jpg   FGMM US Navy Jenny-wing03.jpg   FGMM US Navy Jenny-wing04.jpg   FGMM US Navy Jenny-wing05.jpg   FGMM US Navy Jenny-wing06.jpg  

FGMM US Navy Jenny-wing07.jpg  
Old 03-17-2010, 10:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Wow, thanks for the pictures. That is a pretty cool method.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:10 PM

Got started on the fuselage. If points were given for slow buiding I'd win hands down! Anyway not too much in the way of mods here though I did lamitate the "extra" engine parts to several layers of fiberboard stock. I think that it ended up about 4mm thick. I also added scratchbuilt cockpit padding since the printed detail seemed to dissappear at this scale. The padding was simply paper bag stock traced from the original print then outlined and detailed with a sharpie. I made the part double wide and made slits at intervals so that it could be crimped onto the cockpit opening. I'll add seats taken from the FG Ryan ST-16 and try to add some dimension to the exhaust pipes next.

Curt
Attached Thumbnails
FGMM US Navy Jenny-dsc00096.jpg   FGMM US Navy Jenny-dsc00097.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 03-27-2010, 10:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Bob - I do that with all fabric style wings. I use a sharp edge ruler. the wing curls lengthwise as you crease the ribs, but once you do the spar crease and glue the wing, the effect is really good.
Gregor
Old 03-28-2010, 06:30 AM

KOOL:D I'll have to give it a try Lookin good so far Curt
Old 04-09-2010, 07:41 PM

Here are some photo updates for this build. I fnally managed to get the wing struts attached and the undercarriage bits done as well. I tried several different colors for these parts before deciding on a "golden brown" Derwent watercolor pencil.

Now onto a few other bits and rigging. While studying various rigging descriptions for the JN-4 I though that I has discovered a glaring error,.... till I looked at the old Rhineback photos again. The old Rhineback Jenny has both upper and lower ailerons. And the FG model is printed with ailerons on both wings. Most of the other photos that I had been looking at did not have them. So I guess it depends on whether the individual plane that you are depicting had them or not.

Curt
Attached Thumbnails
FGMM US Navy Jenny-dsc00112.jpg   FGMM US Navy Jenny-dsc00113.jpg   FGMM US Navy Jenny-dsc00114.jpg  
Old 04-09-2010, 08:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Looking really good so far. She's a beautiful plane.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:10 AM

Lookin good Curt:D Get some shoes on her and she'll be just fine
Google Adsense