PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Fiddler's Green Modeling Madness > Improved Stock

Old 04-13-2010, 04:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 1,012.17 MB
So time to start on some "shoes". I decided to try the wire wheels method that I saw on this forum quite some time ago. I started by using my punch set to make two rings for a frame to attached the thread to. The heavy thread is simply attached in parallel lines so that a center hub is formed. A few single lines can also be attached so that the empty spaces get filled. Then two more rings are attached to the outside and sanded so that a round tire gets formed. Finally a hub can be inserted (shown wrapped around the floral wire) into the center of the wheel and paint applied to touch-up the black thread and to indicate a grey or black tire as desired. I went with grey on this model to be consistent with the time period and to contrast with the black tire thread.

The photo shows a few of the components involved in this construction. CA glue is used to attach the thread so that the build can proceed quickly and gives the final constructed wheel a lot more stiffness and strength than you might expect.

Curt
Attached Thumbnails
FGMM US Navy Jenny-dsc00112.jpg  
Old 04-13-2010, 05:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 697.0 KB
Interesting idea for wheels. What size punches did you use? I'd like to try that instead of trying to cut them out with a #11 blade!

Garland
Old 04-13-2010, 07:46 PM

I used the 1/2 and 3/8 inch punches from a set that I picked up a couple of years ago from American Science Surplus. I seldom finish a build of any kind without using one or more of these tools.

Curt
Old 04-14-2010, 09:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.02 GB
Very nice build. I like the tip for make wheels. One day a reapint JN 4 in Brazilian Navy colors...
Old 04-14-2010, 03:06 PM

Thanks for the information. I'll try to pick up some from Harbor Freight. They have a nice assortment of punches.

Garland
Google Adsense
Old 04-14-2010, 03:14 PM

Garland,

Take a look at the nine piece hollow punch set at HF. It looks identical to mine and it's $5.99. Such a deal! I now live only 15 minutes away from a HF retail store and the temptation is nearly overwheming to go buy stuff.

Curt
Old 04-15-2010, 06:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 7.06 MB
I've been lookin all over the place for some large punches. Curt what is the "HF" retail store??
Old 04-15-2010, 08:12 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Harbor Freight

Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 04-15-2010, 08:24 AM

Curt,

Thanks, I went down to Harbor Freight and bought that very set! I've already tried it and it works great. For those who may be interested it's listed as Pittsburgh 9 Piece Hollow Punch Set. The sizes are:
3/32
1/8
5/32
3/16
1/4
5/16
3/8
7/16
1/2

By the way, I also picked up a three piece punch set at my local craft shop. It's made by Making Memories, a scrapbook concern. Unfortunately, no sizes were included, but the smallest is smaller than the 3/32 by quite a bit. Figured it would come in handy.

Garland
Old 04-15-2010, 12:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
If you've a Hobby Lobby near you, check the leather-working section- I found two sets of hollow punches there and got the lot for under $15. I don't know the all punch sizes offhand, but I saved the mounting cards so if someone really wants the info PM me.

Being intended to punch holes in leather, they work really well on cardstock. I touched up the edges on mine with a sharpening stone on my rotary tool.

Wyvern
Google Adsense