PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Fiddler's Green Modeling Madness > Improved Stock

Old 04-15-2010, 01:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 697.0 KB
Unfortunately, there are no Hobby Lobbies in California. But leather punches sound good to me, so if I can find a local outlet I'll try to pick some up. (The local saddlery went out of business a couple of years ago).

Garland
Old 04-17-2010, 09:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 1,012.17 MB
Well the Jenny has her shoes! I don't have much else done though I did try some 6/0 fly tying thread for wire bracing on the undercarriage. It does not show very well in the photo though so I guess I'll go back to my usual floss strands soaked with glue to condition the thread and control fraying.

I'll post some pics when I get some of the rigging done.''

Curt
Attached Thumbnails
FGMM US Navy Jenny-dsc00115.jpg  
Old 04-17-2010, 09:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 71.56 MB
looks cool curt
Old 04-18-2010, 11:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Looks great, Curt!

Since the N-9 was essentially a seaplane version of the JN-4 Jennie (I think -- I'm not as tightly wrapped on early U.S. Navy aviation as I would like to be), it would seem that a modification to produce an N-9 would be within the realm of the possible. And there are probably some other variations inspired by this fine build. I'm not sure, for example, how different the Curtiss Model R (also used by the U.S. Navy) was from the JN. Different tail and some wing structure differences. http://www.aviastar.org/air/usa/curtiss_r-3.php

I apologize for this semi-highjack, Curt. But your model starting out as a repaint that has now entered the FG system, your construction techniques, and the neat appearance of your Navy Jennie just got me thinkin'.

Don
Old 04-18-2010, 07:45 PM

Thanks Don, the repaint was actually done a couple of years ago and has been sort of hiding in the Jenny folder since then. As for actual mods to produce different Curtiss I'll probably leave that to others. Perhaps you might try one.

If I do anything more with this model it might be to contruct a hangar and a couple of vehicles for a diorama.

Thanks again for your kind words as well as McHales and others who have followed this thread.

Curt
Google Adsense
Old 09-06-2010, 09:58 PM

Well I'm not sure if this counts as a contest entry at this point and even if it does it's no prize winner. I'm just happy to finally finish a model. My hope is that maybe Chip will at least want to use a pic or two for his mega web store.

I don't want to go into the details but this past year has been a trying one and lately I've had to deal with fibromyalgia related pain and fatique. I think I'll look for a quick and easy build next. Certainly not a bipe and absolutely no rigging! I usually find that adding some thread to a model to suggest wires or antenna gives a great deal of satisfaction with a little bit of effort.

The Jenny however is a beast that keeps demanding more and more wires. This model in it's one page form is about an eight inch wingspan. I would highly recommend building it much smaller without any rigging or much larger to better accomodate the detail.

That said I still like FG models in general and this one in particular.

Curt
Attached Thumbnails
FGMM US Navy Jenny-us-navy-jenny02.jpg   FGMM US Navy Jenny-us-navy-jenny04jpg.jpg   FGMM US Navy Jenny-us-navy-jenny05pg.jpg   FGMM US Navy Jenny-us-navy-jenny03.jpg  
Old 09-07-2010, 04:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
That came out great! That is a lot of rigging. Did your eyes go cross working all the small ones?

What's next?
Old 09-07-2010, 09:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 697.0 KB
Great job! I hate doing rigging, probably because I don't do it very well. Yours looks like you got it right.

Garland
Old 09-07-2010, 12:38 PM

Thanks guys! The hardest part was getting the control lines to stick to the almost microscopic control horns. I'd try taking really close up photos but I didn't like the final result enough to do so.

Using floss coated with a glue/water mix helped a lot.

Curt
Old 09-07-2010, 02:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
She's a beaut, Curt, and a winner in my book! BRAVO!

If you're looking for something fun and wire-less for your next build, might I recommend one of der Kampflieger's armored cars?

Wyvern
Google Adsense