PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Fiddler's Green Modeling Madness > Improved Stock

Old 04-24-2010, 11:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 29.49 MB
FGMM Sikorsky S-39

I'm going to build the Sikorsky S-39, 1930's Flying Boat in 1:48 scale in the "Spirit of Africa" markings. Not sure if I'll do the rigging yet.......time will tell.
Google Adsense
Old 04-24-2010, 02:09 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
I built the S-39 sometime back, for my sister-in-law who is a fan of Osa Johnson (as I am!). Dig up lots of photos on the internet, and print them out. You'll need all the help you can find on all of those struts! There were a couple that I could not locate from the FG instructions. Take your time --- if you hurry, the fuse (Hull?) will try to bend sideways on you! I think I was on the third or fourth try when I finally got it right. You'll need to really check the pictures to get the struts in the right places. I didn't do the rigging, and it looks fine without it. It makes a good looking model.
Bob, the blueeyedbear
Old 04-24-2010, 02:17 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 23.70 MB
Pace yourself Francis Marion. I tried to do multiple builds at one time and they get in the way of each other but then again, that is me. I usually wait until I am almost finished with my current project before I start on the next. I am waiting for the finish on your Wright Flyer. See you around in the forums.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 697.0 KB
I'm looking forward to your work. Igor Sikorsky was a genius who was well ahead of his time, and the 38 and 39 models were, and are, classics of design. Good luck!

Garland
Old 04-24-2010, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyedbear View Post
Take your time --- if you hurry, the fuse (Hull?) will try to bend sideways on you! I think I was on the third or fourth try when I finally got it right.
Bob, the blueeyedbear
Bob, thanks for the heads-up on the fuselage/hull. I've already been giving that a long look before I make my attack.

I'm a bit of a slow builder and it will probably take me a day just to get it scored and cut out;-) So I should have lots of time to figure out how to pull it off. I'm thinking internal bulkheads should help in keeping it ridged and shaped until I get lots of glue on it.

I'll let you know,

Swampfox
Google Adsense
Old 04-24-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghshinn View Post
Igor Sikorsky was a genius who was well ahead of his time, and the 38 and 39 models were, and are, classics of design.
Garland
Garland, I have to agree with you about Sikorsky, his designs were and still are ahead of their time. Some think the S38/39's are ugly and ungainly. I don't see that at all, they are like flying art.

I would give my left ahh....... anyway, I'd love to own one or the other, any day.

I hope my build does his work justice,

Swampfox
Old 05-14-2010, 07:35 PM

I've finally started this S-39, I've collected every image I can find for it, which was more than I expected.

I've always thought this was such a cool looking A/C, if I ever had more money than I knew what do do with, this would be the one I'd buy.... But since there is only one out of about 25 that were ever built, still flying, I'll have to settle for a Paper model.

I'm building this at 1:48 scale, 95% of my builds are at this scale.

The kit, on paper....

The Pontoons, cut and finished

These were a bit tricky to get together, some of those little tabs are really little.

Another view.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
An excellent beginning. Very clean and precise work.

Don
Old 05-14-2010, 09:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 697.0 KB
I agree. The 39 is a beautiful aircraft. Looks like you're off to a great start. So, you printed it out at 60% or so?

Garland
Old 05-15-2010, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghshinn View Post
So, you printed it out at 60% or so? Garland
I'm not sure where your getting the 60% value. According to the info on the original model from FG, it is already at 1:46 scale, close but no cigar.

I want it at 1:48 scale so I have to print it a "tiny bit" smaller, because 1:48 is smaller than the existing 1:46 size of the supplied version.

If I look at the two numbers I have to deal with, 46 and 48. How would I divide these 2 numbers to get a number a little smaller than 1?

If I divide 48 by 46 I get 1.04 or 104%.------ 1.04 is BIGGER than 1.

If I divide 46 by 48 I get .958 or 95.8%. ----- .958 is smaller than 1.

Remember I'm looking for the "smaller" number in this case.

So I set my printer to reduce the PDF file to 96%, or 95.8% if your printer will allow it, and it prints at 1:48 scale.

Does this explanation make sense to you? I don't mean to sound like I'm talking down to you, as I'm not sure where your value of 60% came from.

SFX
Google Adsense