PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Fiddler's Green Modeling Madness > Improved Stock

Old 04-27-2010, 09:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
FGMM JU-87B Stuka

Well, you may not believe this, but I've decided to add a couple more Stukas to the Stuka wall. Actually, it wasn't really a decision, more of a standard policy!:o
I've built the FG Stuka four or five times before at least. It's a good kit and does a fine job of capturing the difficult form of the Stuka in a simplified manner. The kit comes with an interior, but I'm going to ruin my model by scratchbuilding my own! :D
The kit is of Hans Ulrich Rudel's JU-87B, the number one Stuka ace. I've made some color changes to darken the kit, which is far too bright and vibrant. It's still not right, but it's less blinding than the original. I've also changed Rudel's blue tipped spinner to a yellow one, just to make it different.
I'm planning on building the cockpit interior as I build the rest of the plane, so I will be adding the details in place. I started by putting in a floor;
FGMM JU-87B Stuka-img_3793.jpg

The basic fuselage is together. The fit is quite snug on a couple of these sections and I had to proceed slowly and pay close attention (completely against my nature) to get it right, but it does fit. As you can see, I've also been working on a smaller scale version. It would have been done last week, but for problems with the canopy. It's a really difficult size to work with and I've failed at five various attempts with different techniques. I'll get it, but it's a tough nut to crack, that's for sure.

FGMM JU-87B Stuka-img_3794.jpg

I'd really love to see someone more talented and skilled than I do a few recolors on this one. A desert scheme and a winter Russian Front come to mind!
Chris
Google Adsense
Old 04-27-2010, 10:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I'm watching this thread. I have floundered four times trying to build this damn plane!. I do really good until I get to that darn middle wing section. It folds perfectly then refuses to fit into the slot in the fuselage so I start cutting.....then it ends up in the bin....again. Drives my wife nuts..."you're doing it again...?"
Old 04-27-2010, 10:18 PM

Oh yeah - a desert/trop version would be excellent!
Old 04-27-2010, 10:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 164.38 MB
Hmmm, how about some extras like the cannons for the wings :D to go with the repaints.

Nice build so far, you make it look so easy! Hey whats one more of a great plane for the collection.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Nice start. I'll be watching this thread too. I'd like to build FGs Stuka but have always been intimidated by it.
Google Adsense
Old 04-28-2010, 05:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by spgifford View Post
Hmmm, how about some extras like the cannons for the wings :D to go with the repaints.

Nice build so far, you make it look so easy! Hey whats one more of a great plane for the collection.

It comes with a set of anti-tank cannons already included.:D
Old 04-28-2010, 06:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 164.38 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyaa View Post
It comes with a set of anti-tank cannons already included.:D
Great! Didn't notice them, guess I'll be checking on that when I get home tonight:D

THANKS
Old 04-28-2010, 06:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
I designed them, so I had to mention them:p
Old 04-28-2010, 06:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Actually, the anti-tank guns were not used on this, the B version. They were only used on a small number of the later D version, essentially turning them to G versions. That shouldn't stop anyone from adding them, of course, just want to clarify the point here!
Chris
Old 04-28-2010, 08:44 AM

I've built the 37mm AT guns for this kit and they're actually really cool looking.
I'd like it more if the dive brakes weren't printed on the wing bottoms though. The planes carrying the AT guns didn't have dive brakes.
Google Adsense