PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Fiddler's Green Modeling Madness > Improved Stock

Old 07-28-2010, 08:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
FGMMX Lanchester Armored Car

Although I intend to complete the Tornedo that I started last May (FGMM Panavia Tornado), I decided that with my current emphasis on 1/48 interwar military vehicles, the Lanchester armored car would be a suitable entry in the FGMMX contest.

Here are the initial photos of today’s work. One of the reasons I started the Lanchester, even though I am in the middle of the T1E1 build (Perry T1E1), is that I wanted to experiment with a system for rotating the turret without using the thumbtack approach recommended in the kit. I intend to apply the same procedure (a paper cylinder supported by a couple of card bushings) to the T1E1. I took the idea from Roman’s Rolls Royce armored car (http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/armory/9100-der-kampfflieger-1-48-rolls-royce-armored-car.html). I think this puts the build into the Stock – Improved category.

Photos 1 and 2 show the initial work on the lower hull with the T1E1 in the background.

Photo 3 shows the parts for the revolving turret mechanism. I also laminated and cut out the two cartoon figures (which are overscale for the Lanchester, but are nice to have around.

Photo 4: “Begging the Major’s pardon, but north is at the TOP of the map, sir!”

Photos 5, 6, and 7 show the revolving turret mechanism. I will apply the same system to the T1E1.

Photo 8 has nothing to do with the build, except that when I was taking the last picture, I looked down and found one of the cats, Tora Chan (Japanese for “little tiger girl”) curled up in a box and couldn’t resist capturing her and sharing the photo."

Back to work tomorrow, but I will try to finish up the hull of the Lanchester and then get back to work on the T1E1.

More later,

Don
Attached Thumbnails
FGMMX Lanchester Armored Car-lanchester-01.jpg   FGMMX Lanchester Armored Car-lanchester-02.jpg   FGMMX Lanchester Armored Car-lanchester-03.jpg   FGMMX Lanchester Armored Car-lanchester-04.jpg   FGMMX Lanchester Armored Car-lanchester-05.jpg  

FGMMX Lanchester Armored Car-lanchester-06.jpg   FGMMX Lanchester Armored Car-lanchester-07.jpg   FGMMX Lanchester Armored Car-tora-chan.jpg  

Last edited by Don Boose; 07-28-2010 at 09:07 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 07-28-2010, 09:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
Glad to see you back at it, Don. The Lanchester is coming along great. I can't wait to see all of your new models in person this October.
Also Tora Chan has the most Beautiful big green eyes.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
Looks good Don, I like the fg figures:D In fact there is a tiny fugure of H K Hall on my modeling desk as well(somewhere)
Old 07-29-2010, 05:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
Looking good, Don.
I've always liked the Lanchester Armored Car. I saw a Youtube video of one (referbished) driving with troops in the back (I believe it was in England: YouTube - Rolls Royce armoured car Model 1920 ).
I look forward to seeing more on this build.

Jeff
Old 07-29-2010, 06:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Fine, clean work, Don. The Lanchester is one of my favorite FG models. Builds up nice.
The paper cylinder is the way to go and it looks nice, too. I used a similar approach when I build mine - the thumbtack just didn't seem right to do.

Beautiful cat. Amazing how they like to squeeze into little boxes.

Look forward to more on this.

Joe
Google Adsense
Old 07-29-2010, 06:36 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Looking very nice Don. Good to see you back at the building desk!

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 07-29-2010, 08:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
great work, Mr. Boose!

Wyvern
Old 07-29-2010, 08:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 697.0 KB
Great, Don. I used the thumb tack, and it doesn't work too well. I'll be following your build avidly.

Garland
Old 07-30-2010, 09:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Thanks for the encouraging comments. There are many flaws with this build, but I intend for the next one to be better.

Photo 1: The main assemblies ready for further construction.

Photo 2: The work at the end of today. I plan to turn to the T1E1, but should have the Lanchester finished tomorrow. Note that I cut out the other two figures (smaller scale than the first two).

Photo 3: Can someone who has built this model (Garland?) tell me what those tabs at the rear of the lower hull and the rear fenders are in aid of? There are no more parts to attach and they don't seem to have a purpose.

Photo 4:

"Well, it looks like Ol' Bess will be on 'er pins an ready ter roll termorrer."

"Innit. What was the Colonel bangin' on about whiles 'e was puttin' them tyres together?"

"'e said 'The next one will be much better.'"

"An' very fine, too, I'm sure. But does 'e know 'e put the turret roof on backwards on this one?"
Attached Thumbnails
FGMMX Lanchester Armored Car-lanchester-08.jpg   FGMMX Lanchester Armored Car-lanchester-09.jpg   FGMMX Lanchester Armored Car-lanchester-10.jpg   FGMMX Lanchester Armored Car-lanchester-11.jpg  
Old 07-30-2010, 09:22 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Yer killin me Don! Still really nice work here. Seems a little large to me. Got a big 10in quarter to show the scale?

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Google Adsense