PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Kit Announcements

Old 12-12-2010, 12:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Handheld Paper Stomp Rocket Inclinometer Download

Stomp Rocket Handheld Inclinometer
PaperModelers.com - Downloads - Handheld Stomp Rocket Inclinometer

What is an Inclinometer? Well it is a device that shows how high a Paper Stomp Rocket reaches.

To allow for better accuracy this Inclinometer has two sides. One gives a fairly quick reading by looking at a distance/angle scale. The other side shows the Angle, using the angle side allows you to more accurately determine the height using the proper math.

For more information on how to do the math:
Retired_For_Now has an available download in the Toys and Automata download section, called Straw Rocket Launcher that has details on the math needed. Furthermore it is an activity download for various things to do with these easy to make rockets. Also included are some free rocket designs.PaperModelers.com - Downloads - Straw Rocket Launcher Plans and Activity Book

This project is fairly accurate at showing how high your Paper Stomp Rockets go. Can also be used to determine the height of objects (houses, trees, etc.).

Best to use Index 110lb cardstock for construction.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer
Attached Thumbnails
Handheld Paper Stomp Rocket Inclinometer Download-pict0001.jpg   Handheld Paper Stomp Rocket Inclinometer Download-pict0003.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 12-12-2010, 06:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
This is a great tool and addition to the Stomp Rocket line.
Thanks tons!

Jeff
Old 12-12-2010, 06:39 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Mike,
I have been following your threads primarily to get some insight
for paper rigidity and weight in relation to strength needed for
models. I have found a source for 120 lb card stock that I am
using on the B-17 that may complement your models. It solved
the wing skin problem. It is far better than the 110 lb standard
card stock. The source is (Handmade Specialty Papers-Wedding Invitations, Envelopes, Stationery) The stock or P/N
is T1117-120 Regards, Ron
Old 12-12-2010, 01:46 PM

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the complement!

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the input. I'll check it out, right now I have 450-sheets of Springhill 125lb Tag sheets. Page size is 24"x36". I don't have my big printer so I have been cutting them down to fit my smaller printer that can do 13 x19. For the pulsejet project the sheets were cut to 12 x18 which gives me 4-pages per full sheet.

I will look into the 120lb though. Kind of curious if it is Index, Tag, Cover or Vellum?

I did some testing years ago on different brands of cardstock. A local paper distributer gave me several swatch books of the products they carry. From these I cut some blanks and did some tests to see what was the strongest. Springhill Tag 125# easily was the strongest. Also is the hardest to form!

I did test some heavier Tag products, up to 200lb, but it will not go through any of my printers...

Thank you for the input-always looking for new stuff.

To make my models strong, I have been relying on "concertina" folds to create spars and longerons.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer
Old 12-12-2010, 02:02 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Mike the 120lb is card stock bright white. I am impressed
with it's strength. gluing ability and it goes through my Epson
1100 printer with no problems. I have some heavy weight
tag board that I'm planning to use in lieu of 110lb index
on the fuselage and engine cowlings. The tag board is
about 110lb.....Ron
Google Adsense
Old 12-12-2010, 02:57 PM

Hi Ron,

Looking at the site you supplied. I will be contacting them.

They list different weights, but they call it all cardstock. Decided to try the page of the full size sheets.

Most are around 27.5" x 38" which doesn't translate to vellum, index, cover or tag as a basis sheet size. Full size sheets say 111lb but if you look at the sheet size it probably is around 80-90lb tag if comparing the tag's basis size (24 x36).

I will be asking them for a gsm (grams square meter) to see if it is something I can use.

Thank you for the link! Always good to find paper supplies like this. Speciality paper mills are hard to find! The one that supplies this sites paper, looks like they have all kinds of cardstock they do.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer
Old 12-12-2010, 03:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 1,012.17 MB
Mike, great addition for your line of stomp rockets. Even if I never do one of those rockets this tool is a must build for it's utility alone.

Thanks,

Curt
Old 12-12-2010, 06:48 PM

Well, forgot to mention a test performed with this.

There used to be a beetle killed spruce in the way of most of my launches. It caught a couple every once in awhile. Only one was completely lost; the alpha build of my x-15 stomp rockets. It landed in the tree at the 54' mark. A hail storm came thru before I was able to retrieve the rocket.

The tree was measured while standing at 72' from the 100 ft baseline.

After it was cut down the tree actaully measured 68ft. If you take into account the downslope from my feet to the tree, it would probably match how high the tree stood; + or - 4ft if you look at the 68ft vs., 72ft.

Glad you all enjoy it. Just a teaching tool for stomp rockets. Yogi, is a big inspiration when it comes to education. I'm just using my skills in autoCAD to do things.

This inclinometer was made by drawing a line 100 ft long Horizontaly. At the left side a vertical line was drawn 1000ft high.

Once a line was drawn at a particular angle, it was easy to measure how high up the vertical scale it crossed at.

To create the compasses took a little time, but AutoCAD has a feature called "array" once a a good arc/window combination was found, the array took care of every thing else as far as the lines needed at the correct angles. Still had to add text to each spot and type in the right info.

All in all it was a fun project to create. Been meaning to upload it for awhile. Hope it adds the experience of Stomp Rocketing!

Don't know if there is an interest, but there is a another one that is done that uses longer baselines, this allows higher altitudes to be measured, more suited to the estes type rockets.
PaperModelers.com - Downloads - Handheld Stomp Rocket 300ft Inclinometer

Best regards,
Mike Bauer
Old 12-13-2010, 07:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Thumbs up

Thanks for the inclinometer. Over the years I have been using an old protractor, a drinking straw and some faincy cypherin' to figure the height of some trees. The inclinometer is a bit more sofistycated.

You do use that stuff you were supposed to learn in math classes. If not for practical uses at least it trained your brain to be able to look at situations, see patterns, and come up with solutions.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
This device will also be available at paperstomprockets.com
along with other free downloads, accessories and helpful information
for Paper Stomp Rocket entusiasts.

I have been so busy for a while and not updating the Rocket website,
but I promise to get this handy tool and other updates on to the site
over the next few weeks.

Don't forget we are also building a Photo gallery area...
anyone who builds and flies our Stomp Rockets is welcome to submit some photos for display.
Google Adsense