PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Kit Announcements

Old 02-25-2009, 12:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
You guys have a hull of a nerve punning like that - someone needs to deck you!
Old 11-12-2009, 09:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 19.26 MB
I bought it, and it's indeed a fantastic looking kit. It's high on my shortlist for the next build (I brought it out to Nigeria).
St. Peter's & Vatican - 1:3900 - Micromodels
Old 11-12-2009, 09:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Saw one of these Shipyard "super kits" at a show (it was the lugger kit) and it is breathtaking. I'd buy and build one in a cold minute- if I had that kind of cash. But the asking price, once it gets to the USA, puts it on par with an entry-to mid-level Mantua or Corel wood ship kit. Hard to justify that for card. But to get turned masts and yards, brass cannon, fittings, and all the parts laser cut... oh, is it tempting. If the mortgage were paid off and the wife's education totally paid off... maybe then. Oh, and no car payments, too.

Wyvern
Old 11-12-2009, 09:13 AM

They're not cheap, that's for sure, but curiosity got the better of me as usual (and the current job pays better than the last one!). And the building report on kartonbau.de is excellent.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:22 PM

That's very beautiful. Defeats the reason I model in card though..."if I were a rich man...dumba deedle deedle..."

Google Adsense
Old 11-12-2009, 02:28 PM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
The Future?

The thought struck me that kits like this may be leading indicators of the future direction of the paper modeling hobby.

Could this be:
o A response to or more appropriately a reaction to internet piracy?
o Strategy to improve per unit margins?
o Both of the above?

Traditional paper modeling has been the purview of long practiced experts. I think that suppliers are following along the success of the "Almost Ready" trends in other hobby areas that provide novices with a better degree of success without the heavy burden of "learning the art".

That is a beautiful model. Isn't it . . . ,

+Gil
Old 11-12-2009, 02:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
It is a beautiful model and, based on that immense SD14 you have been building, Marco, you are well suited to build this one, as well! Looking forward to the thread.

Don
Old 11-12-2009, 03:06 PM

There's a lot of pre-cutting to this modelling, the sheets are laser-cut (very pirate-proof!), so I think the hull may actually be relatively easy to build - the challenge will be in the rigging and detail. A very different ballgame from the SD-14!
Old 11-12-2009, 05:48 PM

I just gotta put my 2 cents worth in here. Yes these are very complete kits that build into a fine but rather small version of the ship f/what you pay. Not everyone can not fork out $150.00 plus ship for a card kit, but if you can, then I agree go for it. The only draw back is, I understand the price, but I can also purchase a nice plank/frame wood kit for this amount and build a ship that would as far as I can see way outlast one build from paper/card. Now please do not get me wrong, I love paper models better than any other form of modeling except for Pocher kits, of which now after along affair with, I no longer am willing to pay over a $1000.00 f/a plastic kit and I truely hope this is not where we wind up in paper kits. This is also the reason I got out of RC, way too much $ f/the bang. The cheap price of paper modeling was one of the things that got my interest. I do have Ship Yard kits, but I in no way would try to get someone to buy just because it is available. But I do agree, they are right now the Top Dog of card kits and do build into a outstanding model. Now Marco, I do look forward to your building of this fine vessel. Rick
Old 11-12-2009, 06:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
I have the HMS ALERT kit with all parts cut out by laser it also includes all the accessories, metal barrels, masts, blocks, strings, canvas, paint, brushes, glue (butyl yuck!!) and very detailed instructions. ALERT is not an entry level kit and I doubt this one is either.

I paid significantly less than the MSRP (love that E-Bay, sorry Jerzy). Anyway, I have to say it is a very impressive kit worth every cent it cost. A pl@stic/wood kit of the same quality would cost a lot more than $150.00. Then you have to pay as much again (or more) for all the accessories, paint, and rigging etc. Then add in all the tools required.

These are definitely at the high end of this hobby for both quality and price. What is the total price ceiling for the high end pl@stic or wood equivalent. $1000.00 seems a little high but is probably not too far off the mark.

I really look forward to seeing one built here.
Google Adsense

Tags
santa maria, shipyard