PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Kit Announcements

Old 04-06-2017, 09:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Thanks, Doug.

Wow! What a monster. "The largest offshore facility ever constructed" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prelude_FLNG

Herky - I am afraid that we have strayed from your original subject of SCALDIS models, but I am sure that you and the readers of this thread will be glad to know more about Prelude and FPSOs. There is a great set of videos about the ship, but when I pasted the URL here and closed the window, the link read "access denied." A Google search for "Prelude FLNG – video gallery" will turn up the site.

I was interested to se that the ship was built at the Geoji shipyard of Samseung Heavy Industries. In 1974, I was a U.S. Army Northeast Asia Foreign Area Officer (a program in which Army officers specialize in a certain region) assigned to the U.S. Embassy attache' office in Seoul for a year of study and travel. I chose as the focus f my efforts the Korean rail transportation and ship building industries. I traveled the southeast coast visiting shipyards. At that time, Hyundae was completing Korea's first two ultra large crude carriers at their Pohang yard. It was exciting to see the beginnings of the industry that now produces ships like Prelude.

Don
Old 04-06-2017, 11:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 33.09 MB
Hi to all,

before coming back to Herkys original subject, I have to say that the dimensions of the PRELUDE remind me of the PIONEERING SPIRIT, which is said to be the largest ship in the world, if you believe the german wikipedia. I am not sure whether this is still actual. Anyway the beam of its two hull structure is 126 meters and a larger version is planned... Not my prefered size of models

From my personal paper modeler point of view I prefer the sulphur tanker KALIOPE/PENELOPE of Herkys list. I like this modern kind of cargo ships and was glad to find it in one of my favorite online-shops not to expensive and think about to order.

One question for me ist still, that there is sometimes critisism in german forums about the 1;250 scale models of JSC. It is said that they are just rescaled versions of the 1;400 models so any deficit will be enlarged and cause problems. On the contrary I have seen fantastic builds of the QUEEN MARY II. For my opinion the ELBE HIGHWAY makes a good impression to me and I can not confirm this. But before building it or ordering the KALIOPE/PENELOPE I would like to hear your opinion to that question.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
the only rescale i have actualy built so far is the container ship gdansk.its a great looking model.i ahve always enjoyed the jsc ship models but i do prefer them at the 1;250 scale.i am eagerly waiting to see in they issue their new model of rotterdam at this scale and intend to purchase hms invincible in next couple of weeks
Old 04-07-2017, 10:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 33.09 MB
Best way seems to try and find out. I like car carriers and this is the only one I know in 1;250 and it matches perfectly with my regional preferences, where the ELBE HIGHWAY is often seen.

The reason why I am still hesitating is that it is the most expensive model I own and I am not able to produce usable copies. The hull looks like a challenge with large parts that have to be shaped exactly.

If I am going to start with it, I will show it also in this forum
Old 04-17-2017, 01:12 AM

just noted model 053s should read mexico victory not reed victory
Google Adsense
Old 04-19-2017, 02:33 AM

ordered my HMS INVINCIBLE-carrier at 1;250.watch this space
Old 04-20-2017, 06:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 19.26 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
Looking through the list, I noticed the floating production, storage, and offloading (FPSO) ship Petrojarl Cidade de Rio Das Ostras (Petrojarl Cidade de Rio Das Ostras FPSO), which uses something called the Pusnes offloading system (FPSO Petrojarl Cidade de Rio Das Ostras).

At the Big Stone anchorage, across from Cape May, New Jersey, barges are used to offload large deep draft tankers that otherwise ride too deep for the Delaware River ship channel and carry the product upstream to the refineries. But the FPSOs apparently also process the product and are used at offshore oil rigs.

That's all I know about these vessels, but I find them fascinating.

This is a very unusual-looking ship (PETROJARL CIDADE DE RIO DAS OSTRAS - IMO 7920508 - Callsign C6WC8 - ShipSpotting.com - Ship Photos and Ship Tracker), and must be an enormously complicated model.

Has anyone reading this built the model, or do you know of any build images or threads, Herky?

Don
Hi Don,

I'm currently sizing up this model (in scale 1:250). I am working in an oil region now where FPSOs are commonly used, so this would make a nice office decoration. Build thread may materialize soon!

Marco
St. Peter's & Vatican - 1:3900 - Micromodels
Old 04-20-2017, 07:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Look forward to seeing your work on Invincible, Herky, and to your FSPO, Marco. I only recently learned what an FSPO is, and have been collecting info on them. DougH recently sent me this website about Western Isles, a large, non-ship-shaped FSPO delivered to Rotterdam via the semi-submersible heavy lift cargo ship Xin Guang Hua, which is also an interesting ship in its own right. The site has some fascinating images of the FSPO being moored (deployed? emplaced?). The second image down, with the tugs, has diorama possibilities for a VERY ambitious modeler. Photos: Western Isles FPSO Arrives in Rotterdam – gCaptain

The gCaptain website has a lot of information for ship lovers and modelers.

Personally, I prefer the 1880-1950 period of naval architecture, but must admit I am developing a fascination for some of these modern ships through watching them offshore at Cape May, New Jersey, and seeing the builds and learning about them in the forum. Front Light has even caused me to look at car carriers in a new light.

Don
Old 04-21-2017, 12:28 AM

yes i will do a basic build thread when it arrives as i have not seen one yet
Old 05-02-2017, 05:32 PM

model arrived today,great service.Big sheets look like a3 so first job is to get them to library and scan into pc to cover errors as my scanner does not go that big.pack of laser parts for davits,chopper blades etc.first time i have ever bought laser parts.i see they need painting so am deciding whether to use them or not.will be awhile before i start on this as need copies of parts first for the enivitable booboo
Google Adsense