PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Kit Announcements

Old 09-16-2018, 04:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickPink65 View Post
I agree when you say about piracy, but you don't mention one of the main issues that promotes piracy: kit and postage prices ridiculously expensive. Also, how can you guarantee that any project being uploaded here on the forum is not pirated? And how can you know if the thousands of members don't download every day lots of models some of which are no longer commercially available or just discontinued a long time ago and say nothing??
the amount of time and skill that goes into some of these models hardly warrants the phrase ridiculously expensive.living on the other side of te world from most of the producers i buy downloads when i can just to save on postage prices,i have no arguement with the prices asked for by the producers in light of the time and skills they put into their work
Old 09-16-2018, 11:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 285.85 MB
No matter what you do, there will always be piracy. I am not saying it is of little value to raise awareness ... just the opposite. But for every effort you invest in making your product safe to copy there will ... in the end ... be someone to break your security if your product is attractive.

That being said, I provide my models as download and I settle that in certain countries (I have visited some of them, where you see everything you can think of - CD'S, DVD'S etc. available on the flea market for a very small price) I have no power whatsoever even if I would start to take legal action. I just focus on the good kind people who pay and support me. I try to build a good relationship and make friends.

I agree with the above that say professional printed material will provide a quality that home printed cannot do. Of course you then can only print once. I create my models with the "bonus" for the customer of printing and building many objects (fleet, city etc.). If I would create a hi-detailed model to be built only once I would also consider professional printed product.

Chris
Old 09-16-2018, 12:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 13.47 MB
lots of interesting perspective. my original post was not so much about piracy but easy availability from a customer's point of view. in my case i am lucky enough to own a laser cutter and therefore i can bypass printing. also, i suppose i am in the minority of people who prefers to paint their model. for these two reasons the most appealing transaction for me would be to buy an uncolored downloadable vector file and go from there. currently i am building the bristol 188 by eppm-design using this method-don't worry i got the model officially from kartonbau.de!
Old 09-16-2018, 01:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
I went back to paper to avoid painting.Afaik most of paper modelers I knew couldn't handle paint fumes or couldn't paint at all (or both like yours truly).Cost was another reason for change to paper media.
Old 09-16-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butelczynski View Post
I went back to paper to avoid painting.Afaik most of paper modelers I knew couldn't handle paint fumes or couldn't paint at all (or both like yours truly).Cost was another reason for change to paper media.
same here thats why i moved from plastic to paper.i also enjoy the reaction when you show a built model as no one belirves it comes from a book
Google Adsense
Old 09-16-2018, 01:42 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
My personal take is that I cannot see that the fact that a model is printed prevents or reduces piracy. And if anything, if you search on the Internet, there appear to be more pirated printed models then pirated download models!

Note also e-books are also easy to pirate, but this has not affected the production and sale of e-books.

For me, like many of the others here have also mentioned, living in lands far away and having to contented with terrible or non existant postal services, thefts and damage, delays and utterly ludicrous postal costs, the purchase of downloads is very attractive.

I have also found a couple of model shops who offer both options.

I recently contacted a number of model sellers and asked if they would make downloads available. A couple have said sure and that while they will not list them yet they will supply them if I ask, but most have come back with the "piracy" story.

I think it is an opportunity lost - while I prefer a printed model, I would have purchased many many more if they were available as downloads. As I have done from from the online suppliers.
Old 09-16-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin WS View Post
My personal take is that I cannot see that the fact that a model is printed prevents or reduces piracy. And if anything, if you search on the Internet, there appear to be more pirated printed models then pirated download models!

Note also e-books are also easy to pirate, but this has not affected the production and sale of e-books.

For me, like many of the others here have also mentioned, living in lands far away and having to contented with terrible or non existant postal services, thefts and damage, delays and utterly ludicrous postal costs, the purchase of downloads is very attractive.

I have also found a couple of model shops who offer both options.

I recently contacted a number of model sellers and asked if they would make downloads available. A couple have said sure and that while they will not list them yet they will supply them if I ask, but most have come back with the "piracy" story.

I think it is an opportunity lost - while I prefer a printed model, I would have purchased many many more if they were available as downloads. As I have done from from the online suppliers.
my take on this almost word for word,
Old 09-16-2018, 01:51 PM

half the models i have built have been bought from ecards and skyline.i could not afford this hobby if everything was posted

Last edited by herky; 09-16-2018 at 01:51 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-16-2018, 02:41 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by herky View Post
half the models i have built have been bought from ecards and skyline.i could not afford this hobby if everything was posted
Spot on Herky with that comment as well - especially as in my case I have to use tracked or registered postage as a minimum.

A couple of years back I wanted to order a couple of models from the UK. Total cost 40.00 Pounds. Postage 50.00 pounds. Needless to say I passed up the opportunity....
Old 09-16-2018, 03:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 39.13 MB
I'm going to have to agree with Kevin WS as well. I offer my models as downloads only partly because of the cost and effort involved in sending hard copy all over the planet, but also because reprintability is an important feature for models that are intended to be built and used in large numbers, rather than one-off.

I accept that piracy will happen and that I have no practical recourse in such cases, but the audience I can potentially reach with digital downloads is probably an order of magnitude larger than those I could reach with hard copy distribution and that more than makes up for any losses. I also rely on the good will of paper modelers everywhere, that they will want to support my work and make it possible for me to continue and expand my offerings.
Google Adsense